Cowdenbeath FC. 2017/18 Season

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

67b134f13232677e2ad5a035b8e97bc5.jpg

Must think he's good if he's wearing white boots.

I assume the midriff is just padding. Or is he due a hard pre-season?

Much better than the previous Bluebell outfit.

Renton will be a loss to you guy's and I reckon he will do ok at Alloa.

Don't know why more teams don't look at guys from the Juniors, plenty player's playing that could cut it at a higher level.

Saying that maybe travel and probably making a decent wage they wouldn't want to move.? 

Don't know why more teams don't look at guys from the Juniors, plenty player's playing that could cut it at a higher level.

It's funny because I went to watch Kilsyth play last Saturday and said the same thing to my brother in law. I can only imagine it's down to very few managers these days coming from Junior football so most managers probably don't have contacts within it, and clubs just don't have the money to employ someone to scout it.

Only a guess, but most signings probably come from contacts within the game or players that have played well against your team.

8 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

It's funny because I went to watch Kilsyth play last Saturday and said the same thing to my brother in law. I can only imagine it's down to very few managers these days coming from Junior football so most managers probably don't have contacts within it, and clubs just don't have the money to employ someone to scout it.

Only a guess, but most signings probably come from contacts within the game or players that have played well against your team.

For year's I've watched, youth at all ages, Seniors North and South, Lower league football South of the border, and Juniors East and West. 

I'm telling you some of the boy's in Superleague juniors would walk into 1St and 2nd division football and higher.

About fifty per cent of real football legends were picked up from Junior clubs. 

7 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Also Harvey Swann who looked a decent player for the U20's

Would like to see Harvey kick on in the 1st team in the season ahead, i've watched him for a good few years in the 19s and 20s and always thought he was a decent prospect.

5 hours ago, wullie robb said:

Renton will be a loss to you guy's and I reckon he will do ok at Alloa.

Saying that maybe travel and probably making a decent wage they wouldn't want to move.? 

Aye clubs don't seem to look at juniors as much as they used to in the past, some of it will be down to guys at the top end making more than they would in L2. Still some gems to be found in the non leagues though we plucked Greg Stewart from under 21 football and he ended up in the English Championship via a few successful seasons in our Premiership.

Our coach Neil Irvine ended his playing career in the EOS with Spartans and Edinburgh Uni and coached with both for years so i'm sure he will know a lot of the decent prospects in non league football in the Edinburgh and wider area.

7 minutes ago, wullie robb said:

For year's I've watched, youth at all ages, Seniors North and South, Lower league football South of the border, and Juniors East and West. 

I'm telling you some of the boy's in Superleague juniors would walk into 1St and 2nd division football and higher.

I agree with you Willie I watch games at all levels a lot of the Super League guys will be on decent money and maybe just content to play there.

1 hour ago, wullie robb said:

Aye cause Bonnyrigg competed well with Hibs right enough... (yes I know they beat Dumbo)

But I agree that there are good players in the juniors and many would be assets to most part time teams but as a collective they would struggle in League 2. Cowden absolutely rinsed Bo'ness in a cup game through there as well - the difference in class was huge. 

Never said you did. I could easily muster sixteen players from the second division (whatever league you mean) that would wipe the floor with your team. Not sure what point you're making. 

I'm not actually making a point though am I.

You mentioned you rolled Bo'ness over, and that would be expected as they probably only had two or three player's of the standard of your team. 

My point is this probably upwards of 40 young guys that could easily make the step up but I'll guarantee clubs will sign the 38 year old on his way out before even looking.

Archived