Fracking

Jambomo

On 22/10/2017 at 10:50, RiG said:

The vast majority of those articles will have appeared in the printed editions as well. Things like letter drops, whilst a good idea on paper, would become prohibitively expensive given the number of consultations which take place every year. Unless you have been living under a rock *chuckle* for the last year and a bit there is no way you couldn't have known about this topic.

Agree with you about the expense of flyers, and anyway I suppose 99% of them would be in the bin unread. What about a full page ad in a couple of the most read newspapers? That wouldn't be cost prohibitive.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuine question - If the Scottish government wanted to ban the import of fracked gas as a chemical feedstock for a private company would it be possible? 

They can't just ban the import of gas, so it would have to be based on the method of recovery.  Is there any precedence for banning chemicals not based on the chemical substance itself, but how it it has been produced.  Even if this was possible,  is the ability to restrict imports a power that has been devolved to Holyrood?

Genuine question - If the Scottish government wanted to ban the import of fracked gas as a chemical feedstock for a private company would it be possible? 
They can't just ban the import of gas, so it would have to be based on the method of recovery.  Is there any precedence for banning chemicals not based on the chemical substance itself, but how it it has been produced.  Even if this was possible,  is the ability to restrict imports a power that has been devolved to Holyrood?

If the SG banned such products and England didn't.......what's the fucking point?

4 hours ago, glassnahalf said:

Isn't it about protecting our own environment? We should protect ourselves and  if other countries want to ruin theirs for a profit, then let 'em!

We live on a planet McFuckwit. The atmosphere doesn't stop at the Channel.

13 hours ago, Crossbill said:

No.  Fracking in Scotland is "banned" on the grounds of health and safety, the SG has no powers to stop the import of anything on any grounds. 

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

We live on a planet McFuckwit. The atmosphere doesn't stop at the Channel.

I don't think fracking interferes with the atmosphere, isn't it a geological issue? And what part of agreeing with the majority on this subject don't you get? Bellend.

There's  been fracking offshore since the early eighties and I remember explosives being used.

I have no thoughts of fracking for or against.

And from an environmental view I have no experience of UK onshore drilling rigs and how well maintained they are environmentally, the same can't be said for some middle eastern land rigs I surveyed which are a environmental feckin disaster, raw sewage from the camp flowing openly in a trench to a pit for instance, one I did had watermelons growing out of the trench.

I surveyed a land rig south of Milan for a customer some years back just outside of a small town, and if it hadn't been for the derrick it would have been difficult to find as it it blended in with the surrounding countryside. The Italian land drilling laws were so environmentally strict that the inside rig perimeter was absolutely spotless, by law the crew could not even take snacks etc into the rig area in case it attracted vermin, meals were had at the local town, so if UK land rigs were controlled environmentally who knows.

11 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

There's  been fracking offshore since the early eighties and I remember explosives being used.

I have no thoughts of fracking for or against.

And from an environmental view I have no experience of UK onshore drilling rigs and how well maintained they are environmentally, the same can't be said for some middle eastern land rigs I surveyed which are a environmental feckin disaster, raw sewage from the camp flowing openly in a trench to a pit for instance, one I did had watermelons growing out of the trench.

I surveyed a land rig south of Milan for a customer some years back just outside of a small town, and if it hadn't been for the derrick it would have been difficult to find as it it blended in with the surrounding countryside. The Italian land drilling laws were so environmentally strict that the inside rig perimeter was absolutely spotless, by law the crew could not even take snacks etc into the rig area in case it attracted vermin, meals were had at the local town, so if UK land rigs were controlled environmentally who knows.

No replies after 11 hours? you should have used my name! Guaranteed response!

Archived