Fracking

Jambomo

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem I have with it is because its fairly new, there are no longitudinal studies showing the effects on either health or the environment over a longer period of time.

The short-term studies we have show some worrying aspects, such as increased seismic activity, pollution, sickness in those living near fracking sites and there's simply no research done yet to say how much more of a problem that any of that is most likely to become.

It seems like a backwards step to me, we don't really need it, it will require a lot of regulation (which I'm not sure would be kept to) and I'd rather we focused on developing our renewable energy capacity which is probably the way forward for Scotland over the longer term.

Wreck the environment?

BP, (funny), I'm more than willing to debate the positives & evils of fracking with you, you've got some good points, but, understanding what fracking means might help your argument?
Fracking means - well I've told you already.
So, if a gas/ oil reserve was found onshore that required fraction of the rock by explosive, then extraction by pressurised fresh water, what would your objections be?
Bear in mind, that no extensive geological surveys have been conclusive for the most suitable type of fracturing.

I'd be ok with on-shore fracking with the conditions that ...

-it was nowhere near residential areas or water supplies

-it was heavily regulated

-it was nationalised

-environmentalists were represented at board level

Of course, this may mean that it wouldn't be financially viable.

16 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

So, if a gas/ oil reserve was found onshore that required fraction of the rock by explosive, then extraction by pressurised fresh water, what would your objections be?

Apart from all the links I provided that show it's causes great ecological damage, ill health in local residents and we're already awash with oil and gas in Scotland? Why none, I guess.

You don't need to explain what fracking is, I've had enough opportunities to explain it to right-wing dimwits who equate it to shale mining in the 19th century as it is.

At a time when the world is looking desperately for alternatives to carbon fuels, and making quite a lot of progress, it's eccentric at best to intorduce a method of extractiong small pockets of carbon fuels at such a high cost.

Utterly opposed to fracking wherever it rears its polluting, environmentally destructive head. It's hard not to sense a fudge in the Scottish government's long silence on the issue and refusal to commit either way. Pretty obviously they want the tax revenues but realise that the issue will be politically toxic with a majority of thier membership /wider supporter base.

As long as the decision is made on the science and a rational assessment of risk I'm not that fussed about it either way. Too many decisions are made on political and ideological grounds dressed up a science; GM crops, nuclear power and climate change for example. 

Apart from all the links I provided that show it's causes great ecological damage, ill health in local residents and we're already awash with oil and gas in Scotland? Why none, I guess.
You don't need to explain what fracking is, I've had enough opportunities to explain it to right-wing dimwits who equate it to shale mining in the 19th century as it is.

Ok, keep your knickers on!

I was trying to have a healthy debate on the subject, just pointing out that the idea isn't a new one & that it happens now.

Are you sure that fracking is already done offshore?

I was under the impression that what they are talking about in onshore fracking is a very different technology than is used in conventional oil extraction typical in the north sea.  The rock that is drilled is 'tight' in that the hydrocarbons don't flow under their own pressure - they need to be fractured by injecting water at very high pressure before they flow.  

I am all for Fracking. Having worked in the Oil & Gas sector all my working life, I have seen first hand the devastating effects the down turn has had on families and businesses. 

If done by the book and correctly this will have no enviromental impact, I do agree that it should not be done in residential areas or beauty spots.

It is all very well for people who have never worked in the industry to sit and judge it as destructive and dirty by only reading articles and clippings that suit them, but the operators take the environment very seriously and do everything possible to ensure there is no threat. Also try telling a redundant North Sea worker that there is another option of staying in the sector by using Fracking, but we don't want to do that because some guys from Greenpeace might get pissed off. Well I say "f**k off" to that, whats more important to me? Keeping Greenpeace happy or giving my family a comfortable lifestyle.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

.If done by the book and correctly this will have no enviromental impact

Yes, oil and gas companies are well known for their strict adherence to regulations and their concern for the environment. Even if they could be trusted and fracking had no impact on the water table (it does) the environmental impact of traffic (construction then transport of thousands of barrels of oil/gas) on remote spots would be colossal.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

Yes, oil and gas companies are well known for their strict adherence to regulations and their concern for the environment. Even if they could be trusted and fracking had no impact on the water table (it does) the environmental impact of traffic (construction then transport of thousands of barrels of oil/gas) on remote spots would be colossal.

Heaven forbid vehicles should use roads! 

But you have just added more jobs that would be created from this; Logistics staff and Road workers.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Heaven forbid vehicles should use roads! 

But you have just added more jobs that would be created from this; Logistics staff and Road workers.

And you've admitted that fracking always has an environmental impact, yes.

It wouldn't help the North East much anyway, it's mostly central belt.

Archived