The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2017-2018

glensmad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll be a different dynamic in this league next season, 3 up and 3 down out of 16 instead of the cut-throat 4 down out of 14 in the past.
It should make it less frantic and perhaps more predictable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Teams can actually be "mid table" from now on instead of constantly fighting for something then having 6 weeks to turn it all around and get going for the next season.

"This sane, competitive 1st Division thread"

Disagree, if it werent for reconstruction the season would have played out with loads of meaningless games. Still huge interest for 2nd to 8th positions.

History doesn't back you up I'm afraid. Last season, with 4 going down and 3 potentially going up, meant that every single match bar only one right to the end of the season had at least one of the teams with something to play for. There was only one meaningless match where both teams' fate was already decided.

And it's been the same every year we've been in this league. Until now there has been no "mid table obscurity" in this league, you were either pushing for promotion or fighting relegation, and sometimes both at the same time.

History doesn't back you up I'm afraid. Last season, with 4 going down and 3 potentially going up, meant that every single match bar only one right to the end of the season had at least one of the teams with something to play for. There was only one meaningless match where both teams' fate was already decided.

And it's been the same every year we've been in this league. Until now there has been no "mid table obscurity" in this league, you were either pushing for promotion or fighting relegation, and sometimes both at the same time.

That last bit is the problem in my opinion. It's so hard to form an opinion of where your team actually are and how good a job they are doing when you can still go up or down in May.

Increasing the league should also mean clubs can accurately gauge how much attention they want to give to the lesser cups. At the moment teams go out the West/regional cups to focus on league games where they eventually end up mid table and comfortable

Disagree, if it werent for reconstruction the season would have played out with loads of meaningless games. Still huge interest for 2nd to 8th positions.

Agree. Ourselves, glens and Cumbernauld all have sometime to play for. Without reconstruction, we’d be fighting for a meaningless 5th/6th place.

Some big games tonight in the promotion mix :-

Maryhill (14th) v Cumbernauld United (8th)

Renfrew (2nd) v Irvine Meadow XI (7th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (6th) v Petershill (1st)

Shettleston (13th) v Cambuslang Rangers (5th)

Troon (4th) v Kello Rovers (12th)

Your thoughts ?

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

Your thoughts ?

Away (Home)

Away (Draw)

Home (Away)

Away (Home)

Home (Away)

The first one is what I predict. The one in brackets is what I hope for.

Maryhill (14th) v Cumbernauld United (8th)       Away

Renfrew (2nd) v Irvine Meadow XI (7th)                  Draw

Rutherglen Glencairn (6th) v Petershill (1st)             Draw

Shettleston (13th) v Cambuslang Rangers (5th)     Draw

Troon (4th) v Kello Rovers (12th).                          Home

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

Your thoughts ?

What are your thoughts?

Our Indian sign over Peasy continues, that's three wins in a row over them for us now and unbeaten against them in the past two seasons, the only team to beat them in the league this season and we've done it twice. I don't think Willie Patterson's Petershill have won away to Glencairn since he left us in 2010, although they do have a couple of home wins.

Great result for Renfrew last night, which I think should be enough to see them go up automatically (that being said I have been wrong in the past). 

Out of the others I think the Glencairn v Meadow game if one wins Again I think it will put one of them out of the automatic promotion positions!

Largs , Troon and Cambuslang are all in contention for the automatic positions , could even boil down to goal differs!f

Have I missed anyone?

An exicting few weeks ahead!

Archived