Brechin City Season 2017/2018

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our time in the Championship is now coming to an end. And going by the small article in the Courier yesterday it looks like we are getting Dods next year. 

From the onset some wanted him out - others gave him every opportunity and it is only in the last few months that his supporters have all but disappeared - I include myself in the latter.

He said in the Courier that lessons have been learned and that good times wait round the corner for us (?) whether that be a win on Saturday or just next season. Dods record up to date does not make good reading and even if you took out this season his win rate is about 30%. Not good in any language.

So where do we go from here? If he stays I will give him cautionary support in the early part of next campaign but results need to be decent early doors.

Players in / who we keep? This is always tricky when relegated - firstly the thought that some of what we have should be good enough in a lower league sometimes is not the case. One or two might surprise us and be offered something full time elsewhere - F. Graham the most likely.

Other than that who to keep;

G Smith as proved recently is still a decent shot stopper but lacks conviction in dealing with crosses and distribution not good. Keep

Pabs - Keep

McGeaver - Keep

Crighton - Despite some ropy displays I would keep as he has a proven record in the league below - Keep

Lynas - some mistakes over the year but I like his energy and commitment - Keep

Dyer - I do not mind him, despite some criticism of his defending at corners (although coaching or keeper choice dictates this) - keep

Sinclair - Think would do well in League 1 - Keep

Storie - If we have an option to keep him I think worth a go - Keep

Tapping - Shown enough for another season - Keep

Graham - would like to keep but think he might be offer something else -Keep

Spark - Has covered a few positions and as such would keep him - especially if we go with a smaller squad - Keep

Jackson - think we have him for another year - Keep

Osri - Not sure what he brings - bye

Layne - Difficult as he is hot or cold, if he became more consistent in his play then yes but we will only know this once next season begins - undecided

Watt - Lacks the energy required - Bye

Dale - from what we can are assuming he is heading south - bye

O'Neill - Had some chances this year but not sure - Undecided

E Smith - Last season when in defence he looked ok but just hasn't offered enough this - bye

And we will lose Mackin and Morrison anyway.

Fusco - believed to be packing it in. Great servant to the club and sure would be good for us next year but if your going thanks if staying then welcome.

We will have a reduced squad of about 17 or 18 with maybe a few loanees, from my reckoning we need to add about 5 or 6 but the reality might well be different, who they might be who knows?

So on what I think we have here is my starting team next year

Smith

Crighton, McGeaver, Pabs

Lynas                                                                       Dyer

Sinclair, Tapping, Storie

Layne, Jackson

Any late season gossip on players?

And now let the debate begin.

Our time in the Championship is now coming to an end. And going by the small article in the Courier yesterday it looks like we are getting Dods next year. 
From the onset some wanted him out - others gave him every opportunity and it is only in the last few months that his supporters have all but disappeared - I include myself in the latter.
He said in the Courier that lessons have been learned and that good times wait round the corner for us (?) whether that be a win on Saturday or just next season. Dods record up to date does not make good reading and even if you took out this season his win rate is about 30%. Not good in any language.
So where do we go from here? If he stays I will give him cautionary support in the early part of next campaign but results need to be decent early doors.
Players in / who we keep? This is always tricky when relegated - firstly the thought that some of what we have should be good enough in a lower league sometimes is not the case. One or two might surprise us and be offered something full time elsewhere - F. Graham the most likely.
Other than that who to keep;
G Smith as proved recently is still a decent shot stopper but lacks conviction in dealing with crosses and distribution not good. Keep
Pabs - Keep
McGeaver - Keep
Crighton - Despite some ropy displays I would keep as he has a proven record in the league below - Keep
Lynas - some mistakes over the year but I like his energy and commitment - Keep
Dyer - I do not mind him, despite some criticism of his defending at corners (although coaching or keeper choice dictates this) - keep
Sinclair - Think would do well in League 1 - Keep
Storie - If we have an option to keep him I think worth a go - Keep
Tapping - Shown enough for another season - Keep
Graham - would like to keep but think he might be offer something else -Keep
Spark - Has covered a few positions and as such would keep him - especially if we go with a smaller squad - Keep
Jackson - think we have him for another year - Keep
Osri - Not sure what he brings - bye
Layne - Difficult as he is hot or cold, if he became more consistent in his play then yes but we will only know this once next season begins - undecided
Watt - Lacks the energy required - Bye
Dale - from what we can are assuming he is heading south - bye
O'Neill - Had some chances this year but not sure - Undecided
E Smith - Last season when in defence he looked ok but just hasn't offered enough this - bye
And we will lose Mackin and Morrison anyway.
Fusco - believed to be packing it in. Great servant to the club and sure would be good for us next year but if your going thanks if staying then welcome.
We will have a reduced squad of about 17 or 18 with maybe a few loanees, from my reckoning we need to add about 5 or 6 but the reality might well be different, who they might be who knows?
So on what I think we have here is my starting team next year

Smith
                                Crighton, McGeaver, Pabs
              Lynas                                                                       Dyer
                                     Sinclair, Tapping, Storie
                                               Layne, Jackson
Any late season gossip on players?
And now let the debate begin.

Did you write that on my behalf ? My only change would be keep a FIT Watty. But he's not featured since Caley away when he argued back at bench

It's astonishing that Darren Dods is getting another season. The club would surely be looking to bring a feel-good factor back to Glebe Park after this disastrous year and that would start by punting the manager.

What happens next term if he gets off to a bad start? There isn't any way back for him after this season.

On 4/26/2018 at 13:04, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's astonishing that Darren Dods is getting another season. The club would surely be looking to bring a feel-good factor back to Glebe Park after this disastrous year and that would start by punting the manager.

What happens next term if he gets off to a bad start? There isn't any way back for him after this season.

Exactly.  For the chairman to go on national tv and  brush it all off by saying  "ach it is only one season out of 100 odd"  is a bit of a boot in the baws for all the paying customers who stuck by the team expecting at least one win.    He should have taken that opportunity to apologise to the fans for allowing the club to become the the focus of national ridicule from all media networks.

I for one did not appreciate the condescending media ghouls floating around the ground today trying to create a story at our expense. 

But it is a story. It's genuinely astonishing that a side in the senior division has gone a whole season without winning a game. I don't think we'll see see anything like it for a long, long time, maybe ever again. I can understand you're hurting but Brechin City have been a laughing stock, a punchline this season.

10 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

But it is a story. It's genuinely astonishing that a side in the senior division has gone a whole season without winning a game. I don't think we'll see see anything like it for a long, long time, maybe ever again. I can understand you're hurting but Brechin City have been a laughing stock, a punchline this season.

Unfortunately  you are correct.  The other surprising thing was that the manager and coaches have been hailed for the job  they have done in maintaining the team spirit !!!!!! :blink:

All the fans wanted was a win or two .  Obviously that counts for nothing .    The manager and coaches are still in a job .

One thing is sure though .  This season will forever be on Dods' and the chairman's record.  That can never be brushed aside.   8)

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Aye, was in London today and mentioned to my mate when the table flashed up on Sky Sports that the four points were all draws, had the rest of the pub genuinely bewildered as to how Brechin came to be in a division where they were so massively out of there depth. 

Aye, was in London today and mentioned to my mate when the table flashed up on Sky Sports that the four points were all draws, had the rest of the pub genuinely bewildered as to how Brechin came to be in a division where they were so massively out of there depth. 

No disrespect to you’s guys but I would probably rate yous to be the worse team in the playoffs even tho you’s won it!

I was explaining your season to a German friend yesterday at an equivalent league two game (finished 8-3) and he too could barely believe a team was so far out their depth to not get a single win season.

You should punt Dods, get a fresh outlook for next season with a new look squad. I like Brechin, great away day but I think you need an overhaul to shake the shiteness of this season out.

If you start next season poorly, will the pressure mount even more to get a win? Something you'd obviously want to get out of the way quickly.

Good luck, don't go the way of Cowdown.

No disrespect to you’s guys but I would probably rate yous to be the worse team in the playoffs even tho you’s won it!

Na we were nt we got a lot of players back through injury for play offs . Before our season took a tumble with suspension s and injuries we were top with 1 defeat in 10 .Livingston were always going to win the league but our team was decimated we were in the top 4 for 90 % of the season only dropping out for a couple weeks in total I'd reckon .
We had a full squad in the play offs and played as a team and some decent football .

Archived