Brechin City Season 2017/2018

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

On the other hand , play like we did on Saturday and we have every chance of sneaking a result. Football is fickle. We just have to go with the flow this season. As for the other comments about who is or is not good enough , all I can say is give them time .  We have played only 2 league games and yet the panic button is being pressed at every opportunity. 

Folk have to realise that this is the squad we have at our disposal.  It is pointless stating that we need  better quality .  1.    We have no money to get better quality  and    2.   Where are we meant to find these better quality players at this stage in the season ?   They showed on Saturday that they can work together . Keep the faith lads.  

For me its not the championship games thats annoying its Stirling Buckie n even Farfar (we shoulda seen thst game out ) ..Championship games will improve .. 

As for last night the team we replaced in Championship gave them 6 ... But then again Dundee struggled to beat them 

..Swings n roundabout s 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

Okay, I have had time to reflect on last nights performance, IT. WAS. HORRENDOUS!

Yes the first 20 minutes or so and we moved the ball about, took the lead and were comfortable without being spectacular.

Smiths distribution was poor - he spent all game bawling at everyone to cover his poor performance, he is now beginning to anticipate shots which then looks like he is diving out the way. Our back three (Fusco, McGeaver, McLean) seemed happy to boot the ball long to Issac who could nae hold his water if it was in a bottle. This started to happen as our midfield three (Dale, Love + Finn) were doing little with it. In fact Dale was irritating the most as he kept turning round on a six pence, almost looking for the safe pass backwards which resulted in a hoof up the park - repeat pattern. I thought O'Neil and Dwyer took up good  wide positions and when they did get it tried to go forward but all too often they got slow ball and were closed down.

Everyone was guilty of poor crosses - how many went into the keepers hands? Layne and Jacko just do not work - they were far too far apart to be effective. Layne like I said could not hold the ball up, does not make runs to receive a pass and his first thought seems to be back into defender and wrestle them which puts him off balance for doing anything when the ball arrives. He lost the ball again in the lead up to the second goal however there was some horrendous defending after this. All second half we saw the writing on the wall as the ball just kept coming back as nonone was capable of holding it up or stringing passes together.

The game was crying out for us to get someone on who could run with the ball - Watt came on and was looking forward for passes but is lacking match sharpness and Orsi came on and ran at Buckie but was too little too late.

Fusco went off injured, Spark took a sore one, Finn hooked but reality is anyone could have been subbed, Love was cramping up too. Mystery of the night? How Issac managed 90 minutes.

Dods did give fringe players a chance to prove themselves and other than O'Neil none of them took it. We were also overrun in midfield as Buckie had four in there to our three. We should still have had enough to go through but Buckie certainly went for it and although being a bit industrial at times showed more desire and commitment. Good luck to them.

For us? If we play like that on Saturday we will take a battering. Over the years I have seen some poor performances but struggling to think when we had so many off their games in one match. As for Dods he will not be removed, although he was busy and shouting on Saturday he was strangely quiet last night - this may well have had some impact.

Either way lets hope this was a blip but having only one 2 out of 15 in cups is a poor show. 

Will I be at Tannadice? Likely, as that is what we do.

Mon City!

Excellent post and the for the most part summarises my thoughts on the game. We were far too pedestrian. There was just no urgency going forward, every time we were on the ball we were taking far too long to pick a pass. Kalvin Orsi probably the only exception to this when he came on - tried to make things happen with his direct style of play. Not going to start picking out individuals but there are number of players who are simply not performing to the standards they are capable of or just don't look good enough.

We know we are going to be outclassed and outmuscled at times in the Championship, that is understandable. However losing to teams 2 or 3 leagues below us in the cups is worrying. With all due respect to Buckie who are a decent outfit, this tie gave us a good opportunity to get a win under our belts and continue the momentum from the second half against Livi.

Can only hope the players can lift themselves for a very tough game at Tannadice on Saturday.

Some guys on here are deluded if they are happy with what we've got squad wise and the way we are playing.Dodds should be held responsible for the shite squad he's assembled.Should've got at least another attacking player in instead of going for defenders.Can't believe he played 5 at the back against a highland league team,what a coward.Starting to grudge paying £15 every game.Get Dodds out before we come a laughing stock or are we already.

3 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

Some guys on here are deluded if they are happy with what we've got squad wise and the way we are playing.Dodds should be held responsible for the shite squad he's assembled.Should've got at least another attacking player in instead of going for defenders.Can't believe he played 5 at the back against a highland league team,what a coward.Starting to grudge paying £15 every game.Get Dodds out before we come a laughing stock or are we already.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's clearly money that's the issue, it's all fine and well saying "why not sign him" but clearly Brechin aren't able to offer the best wages. Dougie Hill left because Dods couldn't offer him the wage he wanted, it's entirely possible the majority of players you mention there were the same. By the way, is the Fleming mentioned above Garry Fleming?

I can understand the annoyance from some (and I don't want to sound condescending here) but in our first season here we stuck with the majority of League 1 standard players and added some jobbers like Jim Lister and Andy Graham. We didn't spend a huge amount more than we would've done in League 1, but we somehow managed to stay up and each year we've been able to spend a bit more as the higher prize money rolls in (finishing 5th in our second season here helped a bit no doubt). Breaking the bank in your first season to then fail is a dangerous game to play.  Keep a modest budget, wipe out your debt and then even if you go down you'll be in a stronger position to attack League 1. It means this season will have a few humpings but I've no doubt you'll take some scalps along the way to make it worthwhile. 

That is exactly what some of us have been saying all along.  Much too sensible for this debate mind you !  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

This will be the same Dods (note spelling) that guided you to promotion three months ago through the play-offs, defeating two sides (one full-time) with substantially higher budgets? Great use of irony in your username by the way.

11 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's hardly a controversial suggestion. Caldwell was good enough to play and score in the Premier League. We saw when he was on loan at Alloa that he was lazy, but on the rare occasions he turned up his quality was obvious. I recall him as loan striker away at Falkirk giving a good Bairns defence a tough time. A wasted talent but all his own fault. That isn't the case with Isaac, he just isn't very good. 

19 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It's hardly a controversial suggestion. Caldwell was good enough to play and score in the Premier League. We saw when he was on loan at Alloa that he was lazy, but on the rare occasions he turned up his quality was obvious. I recall him as loan striker away at Falkirk giving a good Bairns defence a tough time. A wasted talent but all his own fault. That isn't the case with Isaac, he just isn't very good. 

Sadly we never saw any redeeming qualities from Caldwell . Even when he scored a couple at the end of the season he looked as if he couldn't give a shite.   Time will tell with Isaac.  I am happy to give him the benefit of doubt  as I did Caldwell.  

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sadly we never saw any redeeming qualities from Caldwell . Even when he scored a couple at the end of the season he looked as if he couldn't give a shite.   Time will tell with Isaac.  I am happy to give him the benefit of doubt  as I did Caldwell.  

Sad thing  was the last game at Alloa he was actually playing well but got hooked for tatical reasons at half time . As frustrating as he was i liked him ...But his body language did him no favours ...

Bet your face is as red as your cap

3 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

Sad thing  was the last game at Alloa he was actually playing well but got hooked for tatical reasons at half time . As frustrating as he was i liked him ...But his body language did him no favours ...

Darren said he was the most complex man he has ever worked with .  That is no use at part time level when organisational  time is limited. It is a hard enough job trying to run things without having to work out how one player's head is working. 

Give him a chance this is the same guy that guided us to an unlikely promotion last year.Yes We are out of our depth this season and sometimes his tactics are a little questionable.We all see that there's a few problems within the team but I'm sure Dodds and Bailey see that as well.We need to get behind him and the team and enjoy the rest of the season.This realistically is the highest level we will play at.Lets try and enjoy going to different away days and getting bigger crowds at the glebe rather than get on each other's backs

1 hour ago, citydiehard said:

Trust me, that's an absolute bargain considering how much the rest of the league (with the notable exception of our good friends from Dumfries) charge.

17 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I understand what ur saying moonster, hill is looking like a big loss but glad he is doing well with Dumbarton as he was quality for us,

could have got at least a couple of the players mentioned for the wages we are paying our existing players, our budget is supposed to be the same as last year and we are a worse team,

yes I was talking about Garry Fleming 

dods hasn't made the most of his budget

You know this for a fact ? how do you know that some of the players you mention were not made offers ? 

The arguments go round and round. 

Fact - we have the same budget as last year

Fact - Dods got us promoted against all the odds.

Fact - we are punching above our weight

Fact - this is as high up the leagues as we will get

Fact - We'd all like more, better players (however see first fact)

Fact - we have some unappreciative, unrealistic, moaning, groaning supporters.

Fact - we started off saying how we would just go an enjoy this experience - so lets start.

Fact - I might moan and groan here and to those next to me at the football but all the players will here is encouragement (unlike some).

Lets get on with it.

3 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

The arguments go round and round. 

Fact - we have the same budget as last year

Fact - Dods got us promoted against all the odds.

Fact - we are punching above our weight

Fact - this is as high up the leagues as we will get

Fact - We'd all like more, better players (however see first fact)

Fact - we have some unappreciative, unrealistic, moaning, groaning supporters.

Fact - we started off saying how we would just go an enjoy this experience - so lets start.

Fact - I might moan and groan here and to those next to me at the football but all the players will here is encouragement (unlike some).

Lets get on with it.

Could not agree more. Would also add that it's one thing to slag off the whole team, but to name and shame individual players like has happened on here is not on. I hope that none of them read it as that's not going to do the confidence any good.

Challenge Cup was just a distraction and other than winning it or getting a trip away to Dundee United I don't think it was worth our time anyway.

The only criticism I have so far is that I'm not 100% convinced 5 at the back will work, but I'm prepared to give it time.

Jackson and Orsi looked to work well together on Saturday, but I don't think Layne should be written off yet. He's not played too many minutes alongside Jackson and I definitely think there's a role for him in the squad, be it starting or off the bench. 

Archived