Brechin City Season 2017/2018

2 hours ago, slangs said:

Well Dundee we're near bottom of the premier last season so that's championship level and going by the reports we were played of the park with players not knowing when to shoot or pass. It's going to be a long season.

We will surprise a lot of teams of that there is no doubt. The struggle will come when injury and suspension hit . We need a bit of luck on that front but I have no qualms over the ability of the players at our disposal.  I am fairly upbeat and looking forward to something a wee bit different.   Just hope the snipers don't drive people away like last season. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

We will surprise a lot of teams of that there is no doubt. The struggle will come when injury and suspension hit . We need a bit of luck on that front but I have no qualms over the ability of the players at our disposal.  I am fairly upbeat and looking forward to something a wee bit different.   Just hope the snipers don't drive people away like last season. 

This could be my least optimistic season ever, il enjoy all the home games tho

35 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

This could be my least optimistic season ever, il enjoy all the home games tho

Why ?    New places to visit , a change of teams to play .  Absolutely no pressure on the team which might allow them to go out and play to their potential. 

What's the worse that can happen ?   We go down to the position we were expected to be in at the end of last season . Anything more will be fantastic and a success. 

We are actually in one of the best positions we have ever been after gaining a  promotion.   We have basically a settled team of decent ability , we have a continuation of management which the players are happy with and we are not spunking money on a set of mercenary has beens who unsettle and disrupt harmony with their outrageous demands. 

And the pitch was looking great as well. ;)

17 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

My biggest fears Jacko n Isaac not clicking .The young lad Kelvin or Calvin looks up for it though 

Isaac is the type of player who will attract two defenders hopefully freeing up Jacko to feed off any scraps. From what I saw last night Isaac will be a lot more of a physical presence than   anything we had last season. 

Calvin Orsi was signed after game last night 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Why ?    New places to visit , a change of teams to play .  Absolutely no pressure on the team which might allow them to go out and play to their potential. 

What's the worse that can happen ?   We go down to the position we were expected to be in at the end of last season . Anything more will be fantastic and a success. 

We are actually in one of the best positions we have ever been after gaining a  promotion.   We have basically a settled team of decent ability , we have a continuation of management which the players are happy with and we are not spunking money on a set of mercenary has beens who unsettle and disrupt harmony with their outrageous demands. 

We could get seriously embarrassed, that's my biggest fear, not sure about the "has been" suggestion, Dodds came to us as a has been, cregg even tho he's past it (has been) he looks good and I'd take him, 

im ok with players coming in who are older/ experienced  who have a track record of this level or higher, you know there's a good player in their , as long as they don't have outrageous demands and still have the desire to play, 

id be happy if Dodds signed 3-4 has beens that's what we need we are quite a young/small team 

55 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Isaac is the type of player who will attract two defenders hopefully freeing up Jacko to feed off any scraps. From what I saw last night Isaac will be a lot more of a physical presence than   anything we had last season. 

Calvin Orsi was signed after game last night 

Fair point , I'd want my best footballer on the ball As much as possible not feeding off scraps, Jacko a link up/ hold up player he's not a poacher or the most prolific, I don't think we will play 2 up top anyway so doubt they will share the pitch that much

9 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

This is the attitude all Brechin fans should be partaking in this season. There is as TOH says NO pressure whatsoever on the players and management this season . This is our utopia if you like, we not going to get higher than this . Dont worry about getting a few doings, this season is a total free hit ( the league is however a decent cup run would be welcome ). Go to games and drink it in cause you may have a long wait for this to come around again. Derbies with Dundee Utd ?????  who would have thought it ....as TOH says worst case is we end up bottom and go back down, so no biggie if that happens , everyone expects it. The players will gain valuable experience from whats in front of them this season. If you're coming to the Glebe get behind the team even when it gets tough as no doubt it will. Dont bother coming if you are going to be negative as that can transfer over to the players.  When you think back to last season when we went through that bad spell with injuries and it looked like we had lost our way but here we are about to embark on a season of Championship football .....There is NO pressure on the team this year so my message to the snipers is DONT put pressure on them....

8 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

We could get seriously embarrassed, that's my biggest fear, not sure about the "has been" suggestion, Dodds came to us as a has been, cregg even tho he's past it (has been) he looks good and I'd take him, 

im ok with players coming in who are older/ experienced  who have a track record of this level or higher, you know there's a good player in their , as long as they don't have outrageous demands and still have the desire to play, 

id be happy if Dodds signed 3-4 has beens that's what we need we are quite a young/small team 

Obviously the Campbell years have not left the same bitter taste with you.  Our budget is minimal  so the prospect of the mercenary signings are nil.

We presently have a settled team full of young talented guys desperate to do well.  Why do you think they will embarrass you ? 

Also Dods was taken on to manage first and foremost.  His playing experience helped us through a tough season. 

Cregg was a very able player for us. He was released to allow two of our youngsters (who now both play in league two :rolleyes:) more chances in the first team - a chance they ultimately couldn't take. He played a relatively significant part in two successful seasons with us and never looked out of place in the top flight. I was surprised that he wasn't able to get another premiership or championship gig when he left us. 

Wont do anything particularly flashy, but is good at winning and keeping the ball and is a good guy. Would love to see him back in Scottish football.

13 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I look forward to see your new laid back attitude at the games next year and on the plus side you will nae be hae tae shouting abuse at Caldwell. Good news about the pitch but it always starts off like that :thumsup2:whistle

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Obviously the Campbell years have not left the same bitter taste with you.  Our budget is minimal  so the prospect of the mercenary signings are nil.

We presently have a settled team full of young talented guys desperate to do well.  Why do you think they will embarrass you ? 

Also Dods was taken on to manage first and foremost.  His playing experience helped us through a tough season. 

I just don't see it, hopefully I'm wrong, being young shouldn't have anything to do with being desperate to do well! I'd expect fusco pabz dyer and Jacko will be equally desperate to do well!!! 

Jacko will have to start being more selfish .. Taking the half chances that come his way . . He held off Dundee guys no bother on Tuesday.As well as luck with injuries we need to be disicplined ...Can t keep getting guys suspended

4 hours ago, underpar said:

This is the attitude all Brechin fans should be partaking in this season. There is as TOH says NO pressure whatsoever on the players and management this season . This is our utopia if you like, we not going to get higher than this . Dont worry about getting a few doings, this season is a total free hit ( the league is however a decent cup run would be welcome ). Go to games and drink it in cause you may have a long wait for this to come around again. Derbies with Dundee Utd ?????  who would have thought it ....as TOH says worst case is we end up bottom and go back down, so no biggie if that happens , everyone expects it. The players will gain valuable experience from whats in front of them this season. If you're coming to the Glebe get behind the team even when it gets tough as no doubt it will. Dont bother coming if you are going to be negative as that can transfer over to the players.  When you think back to last season when we went through that bad spell with injuries and it looked like we had lost our way but here we are about to embark on a season of Championship football .....There is NO pressure on the team this year so my message to the snipers is DONT put pressure on them....

I agree. Its an opportunity to get on a stronger financial footing for the club going forward. Same player budget as last year.

Spot on - worst case scenario this season is that we get relegated however we will be on a sound financial footing. All going well, we should wipe out most of our debt next season.

5 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I just don't see it, hopefully I'm wrong, being young shouldn't have anything to do with being desperate to do well! I'd expect fusco pabz dyer and Jacko will be equally desperate to do well!!! 

You have missed the point completely. I am comparing our stock this time round as to the times of the Campbells , Young and Ritchie. Personally I think we are more realistic in our ambitions now.   No delusions . 

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You have missed the point completely. I am comparing our stock this time round as to the times of the Campbells , Young and Ritchie. Personally I think we are more realistic in our ambitions now.   No delusions . 

John Ritchie did nt have a great squad but went gung ho and every game was a cracker .Alas we got relegated but hot a lot of praise for our approach.Lee s Ritchie n Pryde up front:thumsup2

1 hour ago, CITY1974 said:

John Ritchie did nt have a great squad but went gung ho and every game was a cracker .Alas we got relegated but hot a lot of praise for our approach.Lee s Ritchie n Pryde up front:thumsup2

Lees , Ritchie  and Pryde that brings back memories......I say we should go out and give every game a right good go.....mon City.....

Archived