Elgin City 2017/18 Season

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As above. Continuity is the most important thing although Gav will be his own man and we can expect tactical and player changes.  Been saying for weeks to others we need a quality goalie and a  permanent  forward.Preferable over 5 ft 8"!!

Are you going to resort to high balls if you want a striker over 5ft 8”?

If you have been watching the city this season that is exactly what we have been doing. Against Edinburgh City, Waters kicked the ball right over the defence for Soapy to score and I have lost count of the number of times the ball gets heaved up the field. That is not why I would want a forward a wee bit higher that Chris but when Shane was playing before he got injured, not only was he scoring but he was holding the ball up for McLeish to run onto.

This season Mcleish runs about a lot but we need a presence in there-someone like Blair Henderson(not advocating we get him but as an example). It is noticeable when we play other teams that their back four are usually quite tall.

I have heard quite a few others say the same thing this season so I do not claim credit for restating what others have observed.

If you have been watching the city this season that is exactly what we have been doing. Against Edinburgh City, Waters kicked the ball right over the defence for Soapy to score and I have lost count of the number of times the ball gets heaved up the field. That is not why I would want a forward a wee bit higher that Chris but when Shane was playing before he got injured, not only was he scoring but he was holding the ball up for McLeish to run onto.
This season Mcleish runs about a lot but we need a presence in there-someone like Blair Henderson(not advocating we get him but as an example). It is noticeable when we play other teams that their back four are usually quite tall.
I have heard quite a few others say the same thing this season so I do not claim credit for restating what others have observed.

Yes I agree about a bulkier forward to hold it up

Agreed, but is that not why we signed Jordan Allen? I could be wrong but I don't think he's been used anywhere near as much as he could have been - no idea if that is down to fitness.

Without sounding like a cracked record as previously accused, I believe part of the reason for Allen not playing has been the managements desire to play Reilly, Cameron and McGovern in same team meaning the only way to fit them into a system is play Cameron up front. It was addressed to a certain degree in 2 league games prior to cup game with playing 3,5,2.  Lattery there has also been the arrival of Anderson who has been scoring goals.

Said from the start this was my preferred appointment. Delighted he is staying and really looking forward to the rest of the season now. Will be interesting to see who Gav brings in as assistant, I suppose McGovern might step into that role. Tomorrow is a good first game to have, although I think it could be tougher than some might anticipate.

This season Mcleish runs about a lot but we need a presence in there-someone like Blair Henderson(not advocating we get him but as an example).

Blair Henderson really isn't this sort of player, you would think he would be, but sadly he isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived