Linlithgow Rose 2017-18

Auld Heid

8 hours ago, HawHaw said:

Why, because my views differ from yours? 

"The bounce and hardness prevents flair players from showcasing their skills"  That's news to our players and those of the opposition who have played on it.

"It is difficult to turn on them"  doesn't look like it.

"robs from the spectacle of the game."  nope, been some cracking games on our surface.

You're stating this as fact, it's not.  Too much misinformed nonsense out there about 3G pitches.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

"The bounce and hardness prevents flair players from showcasing their skills"  That's news to our players and those of the opposition who have played on it.

"robs from the spectacle of the game."  nope, been some cracking games on our surface.

You're stating this as fact, it's not.  Too much misinformed nonsense out there about 3G pitches.

The snow off yours more to the point ;)

Nonsense, I’ve got the message, Newbies are no allowed to have an opinion in this community. I will keep my opinions to my self in future.

Keep your toys in the pram FFS. Of course you’re allowed an opinion but others will agree or disagree with your opinions. That’s how forums work.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Only 3 wins from 8 at home this season in the league. 2 of them against relegation candidates Downfield and Glenrothes suggests you don’t have  any flair players.

We play football with our feet not our eyes.

Been some cracking games played on ash surfaces.

I clearly stated it was a personal opinion but if it’s facts you’re after there you go.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Seems pretty daft to call a surface hard when they play rugby on it. If it was harder than a well-watered grass pitch there'd be broken bones all over the place.

Do they not put another sponge layer underneath so rugby can be played on them 

Just now, Sheep77 said:

Dunno, but top level rugby is played at Killie and Cumbernauld, and I'm sure a lot of community 3G pitches host rugby too.

2 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

Playing contact rugby union on a 3G pitch is an entirely different matter to playing football.

To be passed fit to host a rugby match, an artificial pitch must have an up-to-date certificate that demonstrates compliance with World Rugby rules.

World Rugby Regulation 22 is the law that says every pitch must pass tests to ensure there are no problems with energy-sapping, head impact, skin friction or joints damage.

RFU guidelines on artificial pitches say: "There is no way to tell if an AGP (artificial grass pitch) is suitable for contact rugby union simply by looking at it."

Simply put, there are more hoops to jump through in rugby than football.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Dunno, but top level rugby is played at Killie and Cumbernauld, and I'm sure a lot of community 3G pitches host rugby too.

The Linlithgow community pitch has the sponge layer for playing rugby 

3 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

The Linlithgow community pitch has the sponge layer for playing rugby 

Glad to hear it.

A good grass pitch is better than an artificial surface, but IMO good artificial pitches like at Killie, Falkirk or Accies are better than an average grass pitch. It seems to be a tough winter for pitches this year, I noticed even Parkhead is looking a bit threadbare.

At the other end is the dark, bouncy, slow pitches where black pellets get kicked up at every step. The worst I've seen was at Bank's O'Dee, but even then it was better than the puddins at Lugar or Crossgates.

2 minutes ago, HawHaw said:

I heard about that one, very odd.

The Scotland national team are based on the indoor pitch at Oriam, which is also home to the East of Scotland academy, Champions Cup and full internationals have been played at Killie, age-grade and women's internationals are played at Cumbernauld, and the West of Scotland academy is also based there. Though football isn't played on it, Glasgow Warriors are on an artificial pitch after disastrous problems with the grass. I've never seen or heard of any player getting a friction burn on any of those pitches, everyone seems very happy with them.

There's this idea in football that plastic pitches are somehow unsafe for the quick-footed players. Have these people ever seen Stuart Hogg run???

13 hours ago, Sheep77 said:

Not sure if it's the same stuff you're talking about but I saw there was a full layer of blue, shock absorbing, sponge laid under the surface at Blackburn. 

Stenhousemuir also have the artificial pitch that allows rugby - some people really are still in the dark ages about them.

I played on the one at Stirling Albion in the 80s when we played Stirling County on it twice and it was terrible - hard as a rock, covered in sand, liable to take your skin off if you came into contact with the pitch and it right royally screwed your hamstrings but I've been on the modern ones at Benburb and Petershill and they are miles ahead of what I played on back in the day as you would expect with an additional 30 years of technology.

Archived