Rangers European Tour 2017/18

Topscot

Rangers fans talking about qualifying round 3 already are in dream land. If they manage to get past the Luxembourg team (which won't be easy), they will get shafted in Cyprus.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Low taxes in Luxembourg, Gers fans be sure to stock up on cheap booze and smokes while there

Wasn't cheap a place for the drink. Great trip we had last season though

32 minutes ago, Milners said:

Wasn't cheap a place for the drink. Great trip we had last season though

You are probably more right than I am lol.  I'm basing my info on spending about an hour in the country and stopping at a convenience store to find that the prices for stuff were a lot lower than in Belgium.  I also saw a lot of Belgian and German license plates.  A quick google search also reveals that Luxembourg has one of the lowest VAT rates in Europe.

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The current club are not the first to use the name Cork City. During the 1920s teams referred to as Cork City competed in both the Munster Senior League and the Munster Senior Cup. A team named Cork City finished as Munster Senior Cup runners up in 1924–25.[6][7] Another Cork City F.C. also played in the League of Ireland between 1938 and 1940.

I was referring to modern, organised League of Ireland football, and not the makeshift two season wonders which came and went yonks ago. You have to remember that football is not the number one sport in Ireland, and does not have the strong history it enjoys in Scotland. It is unlikely that anyone in Cork has ever heard of the sides you mention, (not even Cork City!) but I will ask. Previous clubs in Cork have failed through lack of support, but City over the past five years have been getting an average of 3,500, which is not too bad. Also, we only rent the stadium, which saves a bit of money. The club still owns the old ground at Bishopstown, but only uses it for administration as the pitch is pretty much waterlogged and not much use. To be honest, given the past, there have been a few risen eyebrows in the Rebel County over the club's robust situation, but long may it continue!

37 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just seen that ST holders can get their tickets from tomorrow and General sale is from Sunday. £15 for adults, which isn't too bad.

I won't pretend to be a regular visitor to Govan these days (to preempt the dross) but Ibrox will be louping at that price.  A good 40K+?  I'd wager more than 5,000 at the away tie, too. 

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I won't pretend to be a regular visitor to Govan these days (to preempt the dross) but Ibrox will be louping at that price.  A good 40K+?  I'd wager more than 5,000 at the away tie, too. 

I would think at that price it'll be up into the mid to high 40ks, what with it being our first ever European game and whatnot. 

#sevco #newclub #weknowwedied 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I would think at that price it'll be up into the mid to high 40ks, what with it being our first ever European game and whatnot. 

#sevco #newclub #weknowwedied 

Ya wee scamp...

On 2017-6-19 at 19:43, senorsoupe said:

You are probably more right than I am lol.  I'm basing my info on spending about an hour in the country and stopping at a convenience store to find that the prices for stuff were a lot lower than in Belgium.  I also saw a lot of Belgian and German license plates.  A quick google search also reveals that Luxembourg has one of the lowest VAT rates in Europe.

Rico?

Relatively easy draw for Rangers, they should see it through comfortably. Although there is also potential for a Lincoln Red Imps slip up.

Looking forward to some early hope for the Rangers fans before a crushing heavy defeat off some heavyweight like Fc Copenhagen. 

This should be a cake walk for the Sevco mob. Just about a new team and the pressure from the fans expecting goals a plenty and a shot at reaching the group stages at least to massage their egos, what could go wrong?

This is a potential banana skin here, if things are going to go badly then this is the type of pressure game that might just be too much for the new players. I think they will panic if they should lose the first goal, if they hold it together they'll romp the qualifier.

5 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Relatively easy draw for Rangers, they should see it through comfortably. Although there is also potential for a Lincoln Red Imps slip up.

Looking forward to some early hope for the Rangers fans before a crushing heavy defeat off some heavyweight like Fc Copenhagen. 

One of my most enjoyable away trips.  A win in Denmark with my flight paid by Maersk.  Thank f**k they didn't pick up my bar tab or Danish container shipping may now be fucked.

Rangers Euro tie confusion as Progres Niederkorn's preferred pitch is ripped up

Rangers scarves are sold outside of the stadium

Rangers scarves are sold outside of the stadium

A TURF war has broken out between Rangers’ Euro rivals Progres Niederkorn and the city of Luxembourg over the venue for the second leg of their Europa League clash.

Niederkorn thought a deal was done to use the national stadium as they would find it almost impossible to hold the match at their Jos Haupert ground in Differdange as it is falls short of a number of UEFA criteria.

There is a standing arrangement in Luxembourgish football that all of their European representatives can play their matches at the Josy Barthel Stadium which holds 8000.

However, after complaints about the state of the surface in Luxembourg’s last match, the city of Luxembourg made arrangements for the turf to be ripped up.

A foreign company is due to arrive before the end of the month to begin work on laying a new surface which would have time to bed in before Luxembourg meet Belarus on August 26.

Niederkorn are due to host Rangers on Tuesday, July 4 – five days after they meet at Ibrox in the first leg.

But now they are wondering where the game will be played as a stalemate has developed.

It is understood that president Fabio Marochi has made a personal plea to the city of Luxembourg to delay the work on the pitch but as yet he has not received the news he wants to hear.

Marochi knows that his club can make some sizeable profits from selling out the national stadium.

He knows the demand from Rangers supporters is huge as the Light Blues head back into European competition for the first time in six years and Niederkorn are also eying a lucrative TV deal.

However, right now Niederkorn are unclear where the game will be played which will also affect Rangers’ security arrangements as the club always scopes out away venues in advance.

Marochi is due to have more discussions with city officials today.

On 6/19/2017 at 18:04, HibeeJibee said:

Are you basing that on expected heat?

AEL were 4th this season (just) and their only European foray in 5yrs was getting pumped by Zenit then Spurs in 2014. Your pessimism seems OTT.

In that time Sevco have been getting pumped by the likes of Peterhead and Annan so I think your optimism seems OTT.

Archived