Rangers European Tour 2017/18

Topscot

4 hours ago, Owsley said:

I suppose the Red Imps result was the single stand alone worst British result ever, this is second but Sevco got papped out, Celtic won 3-1 on agg. Nice of the OF to take the heat off Falkirk (Vaduz), Aberdeen (Skonto Riga) and Dunfermline (Hfnarfarnarfardor).

Narrowly escaping demotion from the SPL, Falkirk were playing newly demoted Swiss Super League team, Vaduz. Leagues roughly equivalent in quality I would have said. It went to extra time in the second leg with a rapidly assembled team after a big clear out because of Yogi's overspending. Doesn't remotely compare with the Rangers humiliation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, if only the Angus clubs were merged, this never would have happened.  

Which on its own is a reason to get at least three more Angus teams in the senior leagues. 

Scottish football needs a strong Carnoustie Panmure.

1 hour ago, Owsley said:

I suppose the Red Imps result was the single stand alone worst British result ever, this is second but Sevco got papped out, Celtic won 3-1 on agg. Nice of the OF to take the heat off Falkirk (Vaduz), Aberdeen (Skonto Riga) and Dunfermline (Hfnarfarnarfardor).

Vaduz has always been a red herring. They play in the Swiss system - IIRC both they and Falkirk had finished 10th in their respective divisions. It was a narrow loss to a similar team.

If you wanted to bracket all the "losses to minnows" together down the decades you've got Aberdeen losing to Skonto Riga and Bohemians Dublin... Hearts losing to Birkirkara... Hibs losing to Vetra (but it came in Intertoto tbf)... Kilmarnock losing to Coleraine... Motherwell losing to St Jarnan... Rangers losing to Kaunas and now Progres Niederkorn... St Johnstone losing to Alashkert... Dunfermline losing to Hafnarfjardar.

Within those I don't think you can see beyond Rangers losing to Niederkorn being worst.

Some would include Dundee Utd and Motherwell losing to MyPa47 but the Finns are a step above micro-states or Baltic nations. Gretna lost to Derry but had only just been promoted to SFL1.

19 hours ago, Kneetrembler said:

Incoming statement from Rangers thanking Hibs fans for surrounding the club bus to protect their players from their own fans.

FTFY.

4 hours ago, nsr said:

Niederkorn are probably scrambling around in an unexpected need to book themselves flights/hotels for the next round.

The hotel side of it shouldn't be a problem as there have been a lot of cancellations from people in the west of Scotland...

This thread brings back embarrassing memories of the last time the mighty Raith were in Europe - losing to Alan McInally's old team Bayern from Munchen was terrible......

^^^ scrambling for relevance

This surely must classify as the singularly most disastrous day in The Rangers history (2012-2017)......Brexited by the part-time 4th best team in Luxembourg....£47million  worth of salaries deemed taxable..... oh how we laughed.  

Thank you all for your concern and expressions of goodwill.  Thanks, too, for those who took time to reference me in posts.  I appreciate your continued interest.

Last night was an absolute shocker.  Possibly the most inept display I've seen from a Rangers team in about 50 years and I have watched Olivier Bernard in a blue jersey.  It was like watching last year's Warburton team with the backbone removed - if that doesn't stretch one's imagination too much.

I fear it's going to be a long, hard season!

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

They're that bad it seems like 50

Night>bad fitba...Day>The taxman cometh.....Noo...here are your options:1) A HARD DAYS NIGHT.........2) TAXMAN

both popular singalongs penned by that up and coming combo...The Beatles.

22 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thank you all for your concern and expressions of goodwill.  Thanks, too, for those who took time to reference me in posts.  I appreciate your continued interest.

Last night was an absolute shocker.  Possibly the most inept display I've seen from a Rangers team in about 50 years and I have watched Olivier Bernard in a blue jersey.  It was like watching last year's Warburton team with the backbone removed - if that doesn't stretch one's imagination too much.

I fear it's going to be a long, hard season!

Still early days to say a long hard season - though I remember last season when Aberdeen nearly got knocked out by CS Fola Esch which was at the same stadium as your team played last night. Aberdeen fans forgot that we scored two 90 minute goals to win 3-1 at Pittodrie and then put the most inept performance away from home  which if it wasn't for Joe Lewis great save near the end we would have had the same embarrassing result as Rangers had last night. 

CS Fola Esch was very poor but the lack of competitive games hurt us even though they was in the same position. 

Archived