Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

I too believe that our team is stronger. We also have had some crucial long-term injuries but ours were at the start of the season and we still kept pace.  These guys are now returning.

The recent return of Harry Davis has been significant and is the best central defender in this League. The defence has suddenly seemed a hell of a lot less porous and Harry's experience and calmness has given a degree of confidence to a back four that on occasion previously could be all over the place. And Harry has also taken a lot of responsibility off Captain McGinn which has improved his game. MacKenzie has now returned from injury and cannot get into the team after being a first pick.  Kyle Magennis is now back after also being out since the start of the season and his dig and energy have also been crucial in the midfield. Gary Irvine has also just returned from a long injury and can't get in the team and Josh Todd should be back soon after looking good before his injury. It's like signing 5 more players.

We now have a strong bench and cover in most positions. And this week will see us signing two more players (probably Monday) who will undoubtedly strengthen the squad (in addition to Danny Mullen). There may even be a third coming in before the end of the month. (We have had 8 out - a normal January for Jack).

I do not think the race is over, far from it, however I reckon we now have the best squad and a belief we can do it. Last season's relegation battle taught the team a lot about playing under pressure and that has been a big factor in some recent games I reckon. But this is St Mirren and we rarely do things the easy way.

All of this is making me even less confident. Thanks for cheering me up!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, bobbycoxblue said:

He didnt bite him. United said it was lipstick emoji8.pngemoji8.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png . Classy as usual

The statement rushed out by United on the evening of the incident included:

”The player is both surprised and upset by the accusation and, on discussing the matter in detail, it is clear to us that the player has not been involved in any such incident.  In fact we commend Nadir for his tolerance on the field given some quite severe physical and totally unacceptable verbal provocation”.

Personally, I would have thought it would have been wiser for United to keep their statement very brief and not go into any details.  That way when Cifti was found guilty of biting and given a 6 match ban it would have been less embarrassing for all concerned.

You are a good poster mate a big United fan . I have went on two United forums and came away disappointed in reading St Mirren are not very good yet we are now 8 points clear with a larger goal difference  on the board than Hibs at the same time last year . Now i am not saying the league is won  still think there will be twist and turns with United and Saints fighting it out till the death. There is a real lack of respect for a club much smaller than United living in the shadow of the old scum but with no debts not a penny.  Come on some of your fans need to wake up and look at the wider picture. Rant over. 
I was talking to a couple of Utd fans before our 2-0 win against them and they all said they had a miles better squad and only Lewis Morgan MIGHT make it into their team. (Really[emoji54][emoji54])They also said they would romp the league by at least 9points.

This.
I've seen St.Mirren lose a cup final to nine men, go out of Europe despite leading 4-3 at home with two mins left and having 3 away goals in the bag and draw a game 3-3 when leading 3-0 with ten mins left.
Long way to go.
Me too

15 hours ago, stumigoo said:

All of this is making me even less confident. Thanks for cheering me up!

giphy.gif

Sorry about that. Not trying to gloat here but balance the 'injuries' situation that both clubs have faced.

And I forgot to mention Eckersley. First choice left back all season until he too got injured about 6 weeks ago and Stelios came in. Stelios has been outstanding since then and when Eckersley is fit he will struggle to get back into the team.  Not only is this the best team I have seen us with in years it is also the strongest bench we have had. And getting stronger. But we have won nothing yet.

Sorry about that. Not trying to gloat here but balance the 'injuries' situation that both clubs have faced.
And I forgot to mention Eckersley. First choice left back all season until he too got injured about 6 weeks ago and Stelios came in. Stelios has been outstanding since then and when Eckersley is fit he will struggle to get back into the team.  Not only is this the best team I have seen us with in years it is also the strongest bench we have had. And getting stronger. But we have won nothing yet.

The White Cafu not getting a look in at LB?

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The White Cafu not getting a look in at LB?

Started the season at right back and looked solid. Got injured and young Liam Smith came in and has been outstanding. Irvine is now fit and waiting in the wings. Irvine was pretty ropey for us at left-back but much better at right back. Won't play LB for us now with two natural left footed players there in Eckersley and Stelios.

3 hours ago, wardy83 said:

Apparantly Mason away back to Watford already. Great signing emoji23.png

At least it’s decisive.

Not all signings will work out and of a loan signing looks like a wrong decision I’d rather we took immediate action than let it linger.

Archived