Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Is there not a bit of a pattern with your managers? You seem to turn them all to shite. Maybe the problem is higher up the chain? 

The United job is a poison chalice.

Ray had a comfy job for life at Raith.

People who have a go at Thompson, particularly Arabs, are either been disingenuous or simply don't know the facts.

He is not perfect and, as stu says, he has made some screw ups with managerial appointments but he inherited a financial mess from his lauded father and got us into a far better place financially that we would otherwise have been.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

People who have a go at Thompson, particularly Arabs, are either been disingenuous or simply don't know the facts.

He is not perfect and, as stu says, he has made some screw ups with managerial appointments but he inherited a financial mess from his lauded father and got us into a far better place financially that we would otherwise have been.

We don't always agree, but this is spot on.

I can only go on what I've seen of Thompson and he gives off the air of United being a colossal hassle. A big mess to sort out. Not the dream job, not "all I've ever dreamed about was being involved with United". That probably rubs off on managers. Apologies if this is garbage - it's just the sense I get whenever he's interviewed.

They seem to always get a decent budget for players but it is odd that one previously decent manager after another toils in the job. 

I can only go on what I've seen of Thompson and he gives off the air of United being a colossal hassle. A big mess to sort out. Not the dream job, not "all I've ever dreamed about was being involved with United". That probably rubs off on managers. Apologies if this is garbage - it's just the sense I get whenever he's interviewed.
They seem to always get a decent budget for players but it is odd that one previously decent manager after another toils in the job. 

Sorry Shandon, having spoken to the man he's like a stick of rock..... Cut his head off and he has DUFC all the way through.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He basically fluked out with Goodwillie, Russell, Robertson, Gauld etc all coming through at the same time. Yes he did well to steady the ship initially, but his overall tenure has been mostly disastrous.

I'm down the middle with Thompson.

Performed miracles to steady the ship financially and at the same time improve the infrastructure around the club to have us playing the best football, with best squad and best youth system since peak McLean.

Unfortunately he is also an arrogant b*****d with a chip on his shoulder about his "inheritance" and has had an attitude that no good deed he has done should go unrewarded.

I don't know what McNamara had over him but he basically broke him. What McNamara and pals got away with was a disgrace and their contracts unbelievable for an untested management team. It was a serious failure of leadership at the club and one that the board and wider family have to share culpability for.

The idea fans should hound him out is an utter nonsense. Again I would like to see him gone but the replacement needs to be right for the club. I have no truck with the utter brain donors in the fed and AT but I think the new supporters body looks like a positive step as they are actively encouraging intelligent people and formed in Frews which is where all sensible Arabs and Jim Spence drink.

13 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Sorry Shandon, having spoken to the man he's like a stick of rock..... Cut his head off and he has DUFC all the way through.

That's fair enough - can only go on what we see of him in the media etc and he just strikes me as being likely to rub his general chippyness off on others. 

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm down the middle with Thompson.

Performed miracles to steady the ship financially and at the same time improve the infrastructure around the club to have us playing the best football, with best squad and best youth system since peak McLean.

Unfortunately he is also an arrogant b*****d with a chip on his shoulder about his "inheritance" and has had an attitude that no good deed he has done should go unrewarded.

I don't know what McNamara had over him but he basically broke him. What McNamara and pals got away with was a disgrace and their contracts unbelievable for an untested management team. It was a serious failure of leadership at the club and one that the board and wider family have to share culpability for.

The idea fans should hound him out is an utter nonsense. Again I would like to see him gone but the replacement needs to be right for the club. I have no truck with the utter brain donors in the fed and AT but I think the new supporters body looks like a positive step as they are actively encouraging intelligent people and formed in Frews which is where all sensible Arabs and Jim Spence drink.

I know one of the guys who is a founder of the new supporters' body.  He tried to encourage Romanov to get involved in United before he eventually took over hearts.

Yeah a great bunch of lads.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I know one of the guys who is a founder of the new supporters' body.  He tried to encourage Romanov to get involved in United before he eventually took over hearts.

Yeah a great bunch of lads.

Is that about the same time you were in the Labour party?

Archived