Dundee United 2017/2018

The last couple of pages are the prime example of why we should not be changing managers. Those out of work largely fall into three brackets;

Wouldn't consider dropping to Utd's level (eg Lambert) and are unrealistic

May like the job but would not really want to work with Thompson through personal experience or rumour (eg Coyle as confirmed on Sportsound yesterday)

Those that are shite or of a similar level to the status quo which would mean changing over to be a good example of flagrant profligacy

To be honest, I suspect that come post Christmas the wheat will be sorted from the chaff. Most of the teams struggle with the depth of squad following injuries/suspensions allowing those with half decent subs to pull away. Hibs showed that last season.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The last couple of pages are the prime example of why we should not be changing managers. Those out of work largely fall into three brackets;

May like the job but would not really want to work with Thompson through personal experience or rumour (eg Cole as confirmed on Sportsound yesterday)

Those that are shite or of a similar level to the status quo which would mean changing over to be a good example of flagrant profligacy

To be honest, I suspect that come post Christmas the wheat will be sorted from the chaff. Most of the teams struggle with the depth of squad following injuries/suspensions allowing those with half decent subs to pull away. Hibs showed that last season.

Sorry Albert but you do yourself a grave misservice with the naivety of that post.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

With the exception of Inverness and maybe Livingston, very few fans of his former clubs would want him back.  That can't be a coincidence.

Any Livi fan would be absolutely mental to want him back with us. Won his first game by copying the team/formation/style as the game before, after that when he tried to implement his 'philosophy' it was proper banter. A particular highlight (lowlight), we lost about 5-0 to Dunfermline and every goal came from the 'keeper passing it to the RB/LB who would then get robbed. Pretty sure he even got himself a percentage of any money we made from McNulty and Scougall.

So aye, you can rule us out of being one of the teams who would want him back :lol:

33 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

May like the job but would not really want to work with Thompson through personal experience or rumour (eg Coyle as confirmed on Sportsound yesterday)

Who do you bring in klaxon

He didn't cover himself at glory at Raith and made a total c**t of it. Fair enough.

As for Hibs not sure how he left them fucked on and off the park, he did shite in his second season after a good first one where he finished 4th with them and got them into the European qualifiers. Calderwood and then Fenlon took over after him in the same season he was sacked so surely just as much blame are on those 2s shoulders for their shite season the year he was punted.

Falkirk, he won the 1st division with them, kept them in the SPL for years, a Scottish cup final and Europe again. Surely a successful job done there naw? They were relegated the year after he left.

Exact same at ICT, relegated the year after he left, except he won them the Scottish Cup and got them into Europe.

I've no idea about Hartlepool and Livingston, didn't even know he was manager, but they're both pretty notorious basket case clubs that have all sorts of dodgy dealings going on aren't they? Don't think you can blame Hughes?

Can't think of a single ex manager I'd want back at Gayfield either but that doesn't mean that they weren't liked or successful at the time. If Hughes didn't sound like a total teuchter and make the odd ridiculous comment I don't think he'd get so much stick from Scottish football fans like. Think he's a pretty good manager personally with a pretty good record too.

It's not coincidence ICT and Falkirk were relegated the exact next season after he left. Ask Caley fans about the squad he inherited compared to the squad he left.

He goes to clubs, destroys what they've built, makes the entire club about him and his "philosophy", blames everyone else when it stops going well and then leaves the entire club in the lurch with a cluster f**k of a squad who are all earning more than they should be.

I'd be absolutely devastated if he ever managed my club as I'd be aware that within three seasons of the appointment we'd have a worse squad and we'd likely be fighting relegation or already be relegated.

It's not coincidence ICT and Falkirk were relegated the exact next season after he left. Ask Caley fans about the squad he inherited compared to the squad he left.

He goes to clubs, destroys what they've built, makes the entire club about him and his "philosophy", blames everyone else when it stops going well and then leaves the entire club in the lurch with a cluster f**k of a squad who are all earning more than they should be.

I'd be absolutely devastated if he ever managed my club as I'd be aware that within three seasons of the appointment we'd have a worse squad and we'd likely be fighting relegation or already be relegated.

Not a coincidence no, you could argue him being there managed to keep them up... [emoji4]

Both clubs had a summer to rebuild with a new manager and an entire season ahead of them, you can't blame it on him, especially when the clubs in question drift between the top and 2nd tier. And especially when both clubs lose players to bigger clubs all the time too.

All his achievements seem to be getting conveniently shoved aside because 2 clubs got relegated the season after he left. [emoji23]

Not a coincidence no, you could argue him being there managed to keep them up... [emoji4]

Both clubs had a summer to rebuild with a new manager and an entire season ahead of them, you can't blame it on him, especially when the clubs in question drift between the top and 2nd tier. And especially when both clubs lose players to bigger clubs all the time too.

All his achievements seem to be getting conveniently shoved aside because 2 clubs got relegated the season after he left. [emoji23]

He had a good run at Falkirk, but things were falling apart by the time he left them. His final season there they avoided relegation by one point.

His achievements at Hibs were based entirely on Anthony Stokes, and they utterly fell apart in the second half of that season, his signings in the second summer were hilariously bad, honestly just look them up.

He is potentially okay as a short time manager who takes over an already good team, as he done at ICT, but he can't build a squad, so when a few players leave and he has to replace them, the squad turns to shite. He seems to have a knack of getting out at the right time.

Archived