Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes would get more out of this team. Im not sure id go for him tbh, ive heard rumours Owen Coyle would be interested as a shop window type thing.  

There has to be someone else outside the usual suspects that isnt the new up and coming guy like Mcnamara and McKinnon were.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Ray has to go.  I think he was the right appointment at the time and its sad, and somewhat unexplainable, that it hasnt worked out.  Hes been backed though and has his own team on the park, yet we look worse than last season.

The scary thing is if he goes, we will surely have to pick someone out of work.  This will inevitably raise the spectres of Hughes, Pressley and, whisper it, Hartley.

I want McKinnon away but if these were the options we would be as well keeping him.

Someone half joked about it previously but I hope ST is working behind the scenes looking for a decent replacement.

6 minutes ago, Girth said:

This thread is excellent reading.

Thank you.

^^ this ^^

Could only be bettered by the meltdown when you do sign Yogi or Fat Paul!

Coyle could be worth a punt too tho - he's a managerial dark horse in terms of the rest but I'm confident he's enough of a roaster to take you where you belong - DOON!

Surely there is no way that Owen Coyle's stock has fallen so low that he would go from managing in the Barclay's English Premiership to the Scottish Championship. Can't see it myself.

You're stuck with Ray.  Oh well.

Surely there is no way that Owen Coyle's stock has fallen so low that he would go from managing in the Barclay's English Premiership to the Scottish Championship. Can't see it myself.

Was Coyle not one of the managers, alongside Lambert, who said they had little to no interest in managing up here again?

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

That's not quite true. There's a former Dundee United player, media darling and clownshoes, shitey brown shoes manager waiting in the wings for another job. 

post-11540-14620517214143_thumb.jpg

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was Coyle not one of the managers, alongside Lambert, who said they had little to no interest in managing up here again?

Don't know but seems like a bit of a dickish thing to say considering no one's got a clue how the future pans out. Maybe when he's down to his last £100k and not getting a sniff of anything down south he'll be back up the M74 with his tail between his legs.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

That's not quite true. There's a former Dundee United player, media darling and clownshoes, shitey brown shoes manager waiting in the wings for another job. 

post-11540-14620517214143_thumb.jpg

Stop teasing.

Coyle's managerial record has been somewhat pish since leaving Burnley.  Dont think he's in a position to rule himself out of many jobs.

Whilst almost all of the names mentioned would usually be the stuff of nightmares, the sad fact is I would suspect they could all, bar Butcher, get more out of this team.

Hibernian, Hartlepool, Raith Rovers and arguably Falkirk. With the exception of Inverness and maybe Livingston, very few fans of his former clubs would want him back.  That can't be a coincidence.

He didn't cover himself at glory at Raith and made a total c**t of it. Fair enough.

As for Hibs not sure how he left them fucked on and off the park, he did shite in his second season after a good first one where he finished 4th with them and got them into the European qualifiers. Calderwood and then Fenlon took over after him in the same season he was sacked so surely just as much blame are on those 2s shoulders for their shite season the year he was punted.

Falkirk, he won the 1st division with them, kept them in the SPL for years, a Scottish cup final and Europe again. Surely a successful job done there naw? They were relegated the year after he left.

Exact same at ICT, relegated the year after he left, except he won them the Scottish Cup and got them into Europe.

I've no idea about Hartlepool and Livingston, didn't even know he was manager, but they're both pretty notorious basket case clubs that have all sorts of dodgy dealings going on aren't they? Don't think you can blame Hughes?

Can't think of a single ex manager I'd want back at Gayfield either but that doesn't mean that they weren't liked or successful at the time. If Hughes didn't sound like a total teuchter and make the odd ridiculous comment I don't think he'd get so much stick from Scottish football fans like. Think he's a pretty good manager personally with a pretty good record too.

Archived