Dundee United 2017/2018

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The only positive is that we're only 2 points off the top, behind teams who have by all accounts played well this season while we have been terrible. Unfortunately there are no signs that we're likely to improve any time soon. I suspect we will contnue to plod along like this, staying 'in touch' with the leaders while not improving, but doing just enough to keep McKinnon in a job.

So exactly like last season then?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

The only positive is that we're only 2 points off the top, behind teams who have by all accounts played well this season while we have been terrible. Unfortunately there are no signs that we're likely to improve any time soon. I suspect we will contnue to plod along like this, staying 'in touch' with the leaders while not improving, but doing just enough to keep McKinnon in a job.

Difference is though, at least in our case, we've played well but with a harder start to the season than Utd.

Utd have already welcomed both part time sides to Tannadice and struggled against both, whereas we've comfortably and comprehensively seen off 3 of the sides who were classed as playoff contenders at the very least this season. Brechin and Dumbarton still to come.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Difference is though, at least in our case, we've played well but with a harder start to the season than Utd.

Utd have already welcomed both part time sides to Tannadice and struggled against both, whereas we've comfortably and comprehensively seen off 3 of the sides who were classed as playoff contenders at the very least this season. Brechin and Dumbarton still to come.

Can't argue with that TBH.  Just don't get too complacent about playing the teams who are struggling at the bottom; it can come back to bite you.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can't argue with that TBH.  Just don't get too complacent about playing the teams who are struggling at the bottom; it can come back to bite you.

Can't see complacency happening. We've played Dumbarton 8 times since coming down, we've won once and lost 3 or 4. 

Fair to say they've had our number in this league. 

I hold the view that the club needs to stabilise and the cost of replacing managers becomes unsustainable at the current rate.

Add to that the cost of supporting any incoming managers vision. Also, it's not an attractive proposition being saddled with a squad of players and told that's your lot for now.

I'd hope the board have appraised the managers overall performance and have a plan B that involves bringing in some of the support suggested in previous posts as a first step.

I still think this squad shows an absence of a leader on the park, for me, that's a major problem, regardless of the manager.

Nobody on the park looks capable of taking on that responsibility so far.

8 minutes ago, Sir Rent Dippidy said:

I hold the view that the club needs to stabilise and the cost of replacing managers becomes unsustainable at the current rate.

Add to that the cost of supporting any incoming managers vision. Also, it's not an attractive proposition being saddled with a squad of players and told that's your lot for now.

I'd hope the board have appraised the managers overall performance and have a plan B that involves bringing in some of the support suggested in previous posts as a first step.

I still think this squad shows an absence of a leader on the park, for me, that's a major problem, regardless of the manager.

Nobody on the park looks capable of taking on that responsibility so far.

It would be nice to have a bit of leadership on the park.  The idea that this issue comes anything close to being one of key problems we are facing is, however, a nonsense.

Hey Granny - understood.

Respect your opposing view, but it still remains a big issue for me.

Every team needs a leader on the park, sadly, we haven't had one for a number of years, dating back to before McKinnon.

Perhaps it's a respect issue between the players and the manager and a good manager would unearth one from our current squad. I don't see it.

Can you think of one?

5 minutes ago, Sir Rent Dippidy said:

Hey Granny - understood.

Respect your opposing view, but it still remains a big issue for me.

Every team needs a leader on the park, sadly, we haven't had one for a number of years, dating back to before McKinnon.

Perhaps it's a respect issue between the players and the manager and a good manager would unearth one from our current squad. I don't see it.

Can you think of one?

Quinn or Scobbie seem the most obvious but Scobbie shouldn't be a regular starter so that rules him out.  Quinn seems to do a bit of shouting but don't know if that's enough.

If McKinnon can't get tactics, formation and strategy right I don't think he will be able to identify on field lack of leadership as an issue.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Quinn or Scobbie seem the most obvious but Scobbie shouldn't be a regular starter so that rules him out.  Quinn seems to do a bit of shouting but don't know if that's enough.

If McKinnon can't get tactics, formation and strategy right I don't think he will be able to identify on field lack of leadership as an issue.

Could anyone actually identify any strategy that McKinnon deploys? I've played a lot of football, for a lot of different managers, and the vibe I get from watching us play is he is of the "just go out and play" variety. I can't back that up as I don't see what happens on the training ground, or in the dressing room, but if there is a strategy, I sure as shit can't see it.

Maybe Thompson did, and was rejected, but if I'd been chairman when McNamara was punted, I'd have been begging Levein to give up his Director of Football gig at Hearts and return to the dugout. Whatever it would have cost, it would have been worth it. Oh for a manager that actually knows what he is doing!

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Could anyone actually identify any strategy that McKinnon deploys? I've played a lot of football, for a lot of different managers, and the vibe I get from watching us play is he is of the "just go out and play" variety. I can't back that up as I don't see what happens on the training ground, or in the dressing room, but if there is a strategy, I sure as shit can't see it.

Maybe Thompson did, and was rejected, but if I'd been chairman when McNamara was punted, I'd have been begging Levein to give up his Director of Football gig at Hearts and return to the dugout. Whatever it would have cost, it would have been worth it. Oh for a manager that actually knows what he is doing!

I think he tries to play possession football where the intention is to tire the other team out, with the one man up front pressuring the backline

But your guess is as good as mine.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

To hope the opposition defence die of brain damage from heading so many high balls away?

I think McKinnon is smug and hard headed when it comes to tactics. The Largs boys said he was great so he must think theres nothing wrong with his style of play or formation. Its the players fault.

I hope Thompson at least tried for Levien. Or even asked him for advice. Highly doubt it though. 

If McKinnon does get the bullet, ST needs to get in proven, safe pair of hands - even if it means spending a bit of dosh.

Are there any P&B Arabs who have anything positive to say about McKinnon's managerial style?  I'd really like to know if there's anything I'm missing.

I know we have a decent squad thanks to him and I know we're only 2 points of top spot; but what I'm talking about is his tactics and team management.  

Archived