Dundee United 2017/2018

It was only a few years that the bold Downdonians were going to the top of Scottish football.

They were taking in pure millions from player sales and had the most promising ever crop of young players coming through the ranks.

Stephen Thompson was the shrewdest chairman in the country and there wasn't a more well run club anywhere....

Life was going well for them until...

United were relegated because they sold all of their best players in one go and the talent well had suddenly run dry.

Not because a certain club fell apart and went on a seaside tour.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We deserve everything we get in terms of fans of other sides giving us a hard time but I've said it before and I will say it again, Dundee supporters at least have some relevancy in all of this (as do a few other teams in the Championship given this season). Rangers supporters? Completely and utterly irrelevant. 

Anyway, which of the Dundee United 2018/19 threads is the best to post in? I don't want to use all my good material in the one that gets taken down. I'll maybe wait a while before committing to one.

Chin up my fellow Arabs, and take comfort from the fact that even were we still to be here in 10 years time, we’d still all rather be Arabs than Dees (or Sevconians for that matter).

At the current rate of attrition there will be no Arabs left in 5 years never mind 10. I honestly never realised how many big game hunters the Arabs had, the first sign of difficulty and they’re off.

I completely understand Dundee fans having a dig, that's the nature of the rivalry in the greatest derby in the world, but what have we done to upset everyone else?
We can't have charged you all twice for the same game...
The **** is pretty self-explanatory.

For the rest of the teams I suspect its because you're still seen as the big team in the division and the want to see you fail spectacularly.

It was the same when we were in this Jurassic tar pit of a league.

It was only a few years that the bold Downdonians were going to the top of Scottish football.
They were taking in pure millions from player sales and had the most promising ever crop of young players coming through the ranks.
Stephen Thompson was the shrewdest chairman in the country and there wasn't a more well run club anywhere....
Life was going well for them until...
Much that I can't stand the DABs - at least they haven't let their team die.

The **** is pretty self-explanatory.

For the rest of the teams I suspect its because you're still seen as the big team in the division and the want to see you fail spectacularly.

It was the same when we were in this Jurassic tar pit of a league.

Yeah, your spot on there...........we set ourselves up to be shot down wi all the early season talk of big budgets and new dynamic managers, you reap what you sow, no wonder teams in the seaside league enjoy watching us crash and burn, as for the Dee we would always expect them to have a laugh at our demise but can't understand why other premiership teams are having a dig.........

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I completely understand Dundee fans having a dig, that's the nature of the rivalry in the greatest derby in the world, but what have we done to upset everyone else?

We can't have charged you all twice for the same game...

I'm not all that fussed about Utd staying down but as a Falkirk fan there is a wee bit of satisfaction in seeing the team Eddie Thompson supported being stuck down in the league he spent years trying to prevent teams being promoted out of, obviously it would be better if he was still around to see just how shitty it is but there you go.

5 hours ago, stu2910 said:

United were relegated because they sold all of their best players in one go and the talent well had suddenly run dry.

Not because a certain club fell apart and went on a seaside tour.

Surely with all that money, they could have either bought new players or brought through their really promising youngsters?

Genuinely intrigued by this.

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I'm not all that fussed about Utd staying down but as a Falkirk fan there is a wee bit of satisfaction in seeing the team Eddie Thompson supported being stuck down in the league he spent years trying to prevent teams being promoted out of, obviously it would be better if he was still around to see just how shitty it is but there you go.

Well fucking said.

I have seen a fair bit of United over the past 40yrs and I have to say this is, by some distance the worst I have seen, there is not one player of any real quality, this now has to be a 2 or 3yr project for a return to the top flight, this squad has to be completely overhauled, there are only a couple of players that should kept, a squad suited to the championship and a squad with a bit of steel and street smarts, which this squad has none of

I have seen a fair bit of United over the past 40yrs and I have to say this is, by some distance the worst I have seen, there is not one player of any real quality, this now has to be a 2 or 3yr project for a return to the top flight, this squad has to be completely overhauled, there are only a couple of players that should kept, a squad suited to the championship and a squad with a bit of steel and street smarts, which this squad has none of

Disagree. Moshni, Fyfvie, Stanton good players

9 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Disagree. Moshni, Fyfvie, Stanton good players

Stanton is gash, Mohsni OK for this level, Fyvie out of contract unfortunately.

Archived