Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taken from my (oh so excellent) blog. I wrote a January transfer thread and this was the last list - 

Contract Situations - 

Out of Contract in May (can sign pre-contracts as of 1/1/18) -

Scott McDonald
Bilel Mohsni
Willo Flood
Fraser Fyvie
Deniz Mehmet
Mark Durnan
Scott Fraser
Jordie Briels
Jamie Robson
Harry Lewis (end of loan)
Paul Quinn
Emil Lyng
Idris Kadded
Grant Gillespie
Thomas Mikkelsen (end of loan)
Craig Slater (end of loan)
Brandon Mason (end of loan)
Tony Ralston (end of loan)

Under Contract Until 2019

James Keatings
Tam Scobbie
William Edjenguele
Stewart Murdoch
Lewis Toshney
Billy King
Paul McMullan
Matty Smith
Scott Allardice
Sam Stanton (2020)

I think that is it. A few younger players are to be released but other than the already announced Graham Taylor, Brett Long, Logan Martin and Dominic McMeekin I am not sure who else falls into that category.

That makes for truly harrowing reading, I thought Mehmet, Durnan and Robson all had another year (don’t give a f**k about Robson, but thought some moron might pay money for him).

I would try and sign Mehmet, Durnan, Mohsni and if we could be given assurances about his fitness, Fyvie, from that first list.

Someone (I think it was you) spoke about wanting to try a pressing system with wing backs.

Thats what I would try and adopt next year, a 5-3-2, with investment in proper left and right backs, we’ve played shite clogger football for the last two years and it hasn’t worked, we might as well go balls out for next year.

Incredible. 9th in the league is what dreams are made of for a club of Dundee's stature. Enjoy it mate.

You'll maybe get to Hampden one day.

“Insert Willo Flood GIF here”

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If ANY manager accepts a job on the basis that he does not have a final say on the players that are brought in then he’s an idiot.  

Unless he was getting paid far more than he could get elsewhere.  Would Thompson have been stupid enough to offer Csaba that sort of contract?

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

^^^^ Not clever enough to actually attach any of the Willo Flood GIFs that are kicking about.

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Why are you on a Dundee United thread? Get out and celebrate.

These days don't come along very often. Like a trophy for Dundee fans. You never know. Maybe 8th next season? Reach for the stars.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Unless he was getting paid far more than he could get elsewhere.  Would Thompson have been stupid enough to offer Csaba that sort of contract?

Not the point.  The person ultimately responsible for the team’s performance is the manager; assuming all managers are wanting to succeed and potentially move onto bigger things they must have the final say in player recruitment or they are complete hostages to fortune.

These days don't come along very often. Like a trophy for Dundee fans. You never know. Maybe 8th next season? Reach for the stars.

The people of West Yorkshire don’t care about Dundee finishing 9th tbh. Having a few cans of T just now and watching the replay as we speak xo

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Not the point.  The person ultimately responsible for the team’s performance is the manager; assuming all managers are wanting to succeed and potentially move onto bigger things they must have the final say in player recruitment or they are complete hostages to fortune.

Has Csaba’s recent career looked like a manager who was on the up?  If he was offered good enough money I’d imagine he’d take it.  

Anyway, as you say such a contract results in the manager becoming a complete hostage to fortune.  No Chairman would be stupid enough to do that to their new manager.

Incredible. 9th in the league is what dreams are made of for a club of Dundee's stature. Enjoy it mate.

[emoji476] ????

Taking things well I see [emoji16]

Never knew about Burton but Blackpool have definitely been in touch. Wigan were another interested party but their sights may shift now theyve been promoted

Archived