Dundee United 2017/2018

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Fair enough. How many of those points were picked up under Laurie Ellis? Genuine question as I don't know.

As I said, I'm on the outside looking in, but it looks like you've gone backwards.

We had 2 games under Ellis and Csaba kept it going.

Then its a case of our two best players getting awful injuries and now the team has no focal point. 

Csaba seems to not have a clue how to get the team going and the signings have been mostly rubbish.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

How many P&B posters are members of the the DUSF? Yesterday they had their biggest uptake day since they were formed but until now they have struggled to achieve the numbers that they had originally projected. I joined a couple of months ago. I am happy for my £10 a month to go to it and I believe that foundations like this are an important part of teams in Scotland who need additional revenues streams and supporter input. We won't ever be at the level of a Foundation of Hearts but even if we could get a solid foundation with a few thousand members it could be a big part of our future. 

I signed up yesterday. The sale of Gussie is the tipping point for me and, I suspect, many others. I'm really not inclined to give any more money to the club at this point, although I may very well crack when the season ticket renewal letter arrives.

I signed up yesterday. The sale of Gussie is the tipping point for me and, I suspect, many others. I'm really not inclined to give any more money to the club at this point, although I may very well crack when the season ticket renewal letter arrives.

I'm a member, never been a season ticket holder due to working most weekends. £10 a month ......every little helps.

Being trolled by Pat Bonner on Sportsound, how embarrassing.

The longer this run goes on, the more it looks like Laurie Ellis was the only reason behind that successful period we had. He changed the team after McKinnon left (brought in Flood, Scobbie and Smith iirc) and won at a place we'd struggled hugely at the previous season as well as convincingly seeing off St Mirren. Other than dropping Matty Smith, Csaba didn’t change anything when he came in and simply carried on with what Ellis had put in place.

2 hours ago, chazas_ said:

The longer this run goes on, the more it looks like Laurie Ellis was the only reason behind that successful period we had. He changed the team after McKinnon left (brought in Flood, Scobbie and Smith iirc) and won at a place we'd struggled hugely at the previous season as well as convincingly seeing off St Mirren. Other than dropping Matty Smith, Csaba didn’t change anything when he came in and simply carried on with what Ellis had put in place.

I was at the Dumbarton game; the first game after McKinnon left.  The attitude of the players was completely different, showed that they had given up playing under McKinnon.

They have now given up playing under Lazlo.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I was at the Dumbarton game; the first game after McKinnon left.  The attitude of the players was completely different, showed that they had given up playing under McKinnon.

They have now given up playing under Lazlo.

There are two issues here - 

1. Why has Laszlo lost the squad? Is he working the players too hard (he has taken away all of their days off), is it his man management? Or is it down to a clash of personalities given his fairly 'unique' charm? 

2. The players, even if they have given up under Laszlo, have a lot to answer for. This is now two successive managers in which they have downed tools and stopped playing for the man in charge. A severe lack of professional pride on show amongst some of our squad. 

5 hours ago, stumigoo said:

How many P&B posters are members of the the DUSF? Yesterday they had their biggest uptake day since they were formed but until now they have struggled to achieve the numbers that they had originally projected. I joined a couple of months ago. I am happy for my £10 a month to go to it and I believe that foundations like this are an important part of teams in Scotland who need additional revenues streams and supporter input. We won't ever be at the level of a Foundation of Hearts but even if we could get a solid foundation with a few thousand members it could be a big part of our future. 

One of the main factors that has held you guys back in recent years has surely been Thompson - with his reported intention of stepping down is it at all likely that the DUSF could buy his shares off him

46 minutes ago, third lanark said:

One of the main factors that has held you guys back in recent years has surely been Thompson - with his reported intention of stepping down is it at all likely that the DUSF could buy his shares off him

I don't think the plan for the DUSF is for them to buy anywhere near a majority of shares (simply because the revenue wouldn't be enough). Personally I would favour a split ownership between some fan representation via DUSF and maybe publicly issued shares plus two or three investors with no single majority shareholder similar to the German model. It isn't necessarily the case that Thompson has held us back (we've had some decent success under his reign), it is more that for about 3 years now he has made awful decision upon awful decision whilst still spending money and all the while eating away at the infrastructure of the club (alienating fans along the way). 

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

1. Why has Laszlo lost the squad? Is he working the players too hard (he has taken away all of their days off), is it his man management? Or is it down to a clash of personalities given his fairly 'unique' charm? 

2. The players, even if they have given up under Laszlo, have a lot to answer for. This is now two successive managers in which they have downed tools and stopped playing for the man in charge. A severe lack of professional pride on show amongst some of our squad. 

There is a fairly widely accepted view on here that our formation has been wrong, particularly given the personnel available.

Maybe the players know that too.

Hard to inspire professionals under those circumstances.

1 minute ago, Fony Titz said:

How many did you play under Ellis between Mckinnon and Czaba?

Two.  2-0 away to Dumbarton, 2-1 at home to St Mirren.

It wasn’t just the results, we looked a completely different team compared to the previous two games in which we didn’t kick a ball.

Two.  2-0 away to Dumbarton, 2-1 at home to St Mirren.
It wasn’t just the results, we looked a completely different team compared to the previous two games in which we didn’t kick a ball.

I remember thinking when we played you up at Tannadice that you looked better and then got pretty worried that you guys would run away with it.

Laurie is a good guy he is also pretty intelligent and knows his football. I think you could do a lot worse than having him as manager.

I actually think Laszlo probably would be the type of guy to resign rather than dig his heels in as he comes across as a man with good principles. He does seem like a decent enough guy, but so did McKinnon. I was certainly guilty of being drawn in by him during his first few interviews (and first couple of games) because when he is on form he is very enigmatic and is a man who lives and breathes football but it looks like it isn't working for him. Still convinced the board will wait until the end of the season before anything is decided. 

We had plenty who did this to Houston then refused to pick the tools back up for Hartley. We were waiting patiently for the window and watching some absolute dogshit, the worst being Laszlos first game in charge.

Mega summer clear out required because whatever the root of the problem is in you playing squad, it will never be far from the surface. Specially now they look like getting their way twice. You have had successive managers who like a good hard shift out of their players and each time they have pushed back. Kinda suggest yous have a squad of diva wankers.

Archived