Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Fraser Fyvie signed, weird though. Left Back or Target man would of been better option

Not at all. This is exactly the signing we needed to solidify the midfield.

Flood's legs are gone. Briels looks ok, but is untested and predominantly a ball-winner at first glance. Allardice doesn't look up to it yet. Fraser and Stanton are more attack minded players.

Left back is covered, and while a target man would be nice, with McDonald and Keatings we already have enough talent up top. If another forward is brought in, I'd expect it to be a young loanee.

Apart from that, unless Donaldson is shipped out, that must be the team pretty much assembled. Looking pretty good I'd say.

We are not in the market for a left back (from what I've been told), I think McKinnon sees Scobbie as 1st choice with Robson as back up (and Ballantyne as emergency cover for both fullback positions if he doesn't go out on loan). There is a slim chance of another defender but realistically the only way we sign a central defender is if Donaldson leaves which isn't looking likely at the moment. I think this is possibly us until January.

I have to admit I was losing faith in Ray, but I'm very happy with his summer transfer dealings.

I would have preferred to have kept Bell and Coote, but if they wanted to go, not much you can do about it these days. And I would have punted Toshney, and brought in a proper right-back but I suppose every manager is entitled to one love-child.

I'm unsure about N'Koyi and Mehmet, but then I've seen nothing of them, but the rest of the signings are solid, proven players at this level (and above). 

Certainly no hiding place for McKinnon this season. Definitely his squad now and he and Taylor have had much longer to scout and plan for this year. This is now a true reflection of McKinnon as a manager.

I'm pretty happy with that squad. To me McKinnon has done everything right pre-season. The aspect I'm most impressed with is we seem to be spending well, but within our means. Even if Donaldson goes I don't think we need to make a purchase tbh, instead save a potential wage if needed in Jan.
If we don't get promoted it will be purely due to the tactics, not the squad and not to do with a lack of support from Thompson. Really just hope we have the bollocks to play the expansive attacking football that team is capable of playing.

From middle to front that team should have too much for most of the championship.  Hopefully the signings will also bring a better style of play too.

If we don't get up this season only Ray to blame. Feeling optimistic though looking at the potential line up when everyone's fit.

With my first choice starting XI and bench there are only 3 players that weren't signed by McKinnon. (Durnan/Fraser/Robson)

This is certainly Ray's own team...

McDonald

Keatings

King Fyvie Briels McMullan

Scobbie Edge Durnan Murdoch

Lewis

Bench: Mehmet, Toshney, Robson, Flood, Stanton, Fraser, N'Koyi

This looks good.

Lewis

Toshney
Durnan
Edge
Scobbie

Flood
Fyvie

McMullan
Keatings
King

McDonald

With a front 6 like that proper defenders like Toshney and Scobbie will be good to have. No frills or anything fancy just give it to creative players up the park.

What a fucking difference from the last 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This looks good.

Lewis

Toshney
Durnan
Edge
Scobbie

Flood
Fyvie

McMullan
Keatings
King

McDonald

With a front 6 like that proper defenders like Toshney and Scobbie will be good to have. No frills or anything fancy just give it to creative players up the park.

What a fucking difference from the last 2 seasons.

:shutup

Archived