Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

Well done Celtic! Here is my tuppence worth on QR4:

Hapoel and Slavia: book those days off now for Champions League nights!

Qarabag and Astana: squeak through... just

Rijeka: Europa League beckons 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been presuming Rijeka are shite because Aberdeen beat them but, then again, Aberdeen beat Real Madrid and I hear they're pretty good. 

They came off the back of a couple of reasonably successful European campaigns when Aberdeen put them out, beating Feyenoord, Standard Liege and drawing with eventual winners Sevilla.

It just goes to show how impressive Aberdeens away performance was against them.

If it was Dinamo Zagreb as a potential opponent instead of Rijeka, it would probably be the one you would want to avoid out of the teams mentioned. Given they finished ahead of Zagreb last year and are top of the league early this season, you'd assume Rijeka are better than Zagreb and to be avoided.

I think Celtic are a better team since we played astana,qarabag and beer sheva plus hard to judge on the friendly against slavia
Rijeka must be a decent side putting out RB salzburg if they are the same team from a few years back so no gimmies for celtic
since Celtic put 3 of them out before they won't want to get us but will know what to expect
out of the 5 i would say qarabag are the weakest but all very similar, astana very comfortable on the ball but lack a cutting edge
Beer sheva don't travel well but very good at home Brendan won't make the same mistakes as the last time away
for me rijeka and slavia are ones to avoid 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

Well done Celtic! Here is my tuppence worth on QR4:

Hapoel and Slavia: book those days off now for Champions League nights!

Qarabag and Astana: squeak through... just

Rijeka: Europa League beckons 

Don't rely just on coefficients mate.  Slavia may have a low coefficient but they won a strong Czech league last year so I reckon would be tougher than Qarabag or Astana.  Hapoel's coefficient is also deceptively low because they have only been on the big scene a couple of years but they have a lot of money (by Israeli league standards) so can afford a team better than their coefficient would suggest.  I agree that Rijeka are the toughest potential opponent but think Celtic have a chance to beat them.  Here is how I rank the strength of the 5 potential teams from strongest to weakest

1. Rijeka

2. Hapoel

3. Slavia

4. Astana

5. Qarabag

Archived