Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

To be honest Astana looked pretty good in the first half and they'll be hurting. We also scored a few fortunate goals. They played a suicidally high line and might do the same thing because they're hunting for goals, but I wouldn't be too confident of a Celtic win. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The OP said:

To be honest Astana looked pretty good in the first half and they'll be hurting. We also scored a few fortunate goals. They played a suicidally high line and might do the same thing because they're hunting for goals, but I wouldn't be too confident of a Celtic win. 

The bookies seem to be hedging their bets.  Astana are something like 21/10 and the draw is 5/2

Are Celtic likely to go looking for a win here or just stroll about with cigars?
They're 11/8 on B365 which seems pretty good.  Thinking of doubling them up with Hull away at Doncaster.

BR has spoken about treating it like it's 0-0 and wanting to win the game. I think we will play our first team after resting so many at the weekend. Could be doing with the additional coefficient point as well so go for it

9 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

BR has spoken about treating it like it's 0-0 and wanting to win the game. I think we will play our first team after resting so many at the weekend. Could be doing with the additional coefficient point as well so go for it

Am I right in thinking a win would only make a difference to the country coefficient? I'm sure the club coefficient is just boosted by making it to the next round in qualifying, the individual results don't matter. 

16 minutes ago, The OP said:

Am I right in thinking a win would only make a difference to the country coefficient? I'm sure the club coefficient is just boosted by making it to the next round in qualifying, the individual results don't matter. 

The more wins we get the less qualifiers we have to play.

53 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The more wins we get the less qualifiers we have to play.

Nah, we're about a million miles away from playing fewer qualifiers and they're changing the rules next season anyway. Country coefficient matters f**k all as far as I can tell, unless we win the CL or other teams start going much further than they are currently. 

24 minutes ago, The OP said:

Nah, we're about a million miles away from playing fewer qualifiers and they're changing the rules next season anyway. Country coefficient matters f**k all as far as I can tell, unless we win the CL or other teams start going much further than they are currently. 

Strangely I would rather have more qualifiers than Less if we dont qualify automatically. When we used to go in the final pots it did us no favours by having no competitive games.

19 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

This will be an important test for young Ajer.  If he bottles it the way Saidy Janko did last year against Beer Sheva then Brendan might lose faith in him.

In fairness Eoghan O'Connell acquitted himself quite well in the qualifiers last season and Brendan still lost faith in him :lol:

Club rankings are meaningless nowadays, hence the reason the mighty Leicester were number 1 seeds last year. Countries such as Scotland, Holland and shortly Portugal are all screwed due to having less of a population / TV audience (translated to cash) as the way Uefa see it.

Sadly it's only about money now and with the rule changes next year it will be a closed shop with only teams from Italy, Spain, Germany, France & England welcomed to the table.

Pretty shocking stuff and we can only hope that there's a global recession which will bankrupt all those Russian, Middle Eastern and Yankee franchises which currently masquerade as "European Teams"..................

Club rankings are meaningless nowadays, hence the reason the mighty Leicester were number 1 seeds last year. Countries such as Scotland, Holland and shortly Portugal are all screwed due to having less of a population / TV audience (translated to cash) as the way Uefa see it.
Sadly it's only about money now and with the rule changes next year it will be a closed shop with only teams from Italy, Spain, Germany, France & England welcomed to the table.
Pretty shocking stuff and we can only hope that there's a global recession which will bankrupt all those Russian, Middle Eastern and Yankee franchises which currently masquerade as "European Teams"..................

Whoever wins the EPL should 100 percent automatically qualify, that doesn't render club rankings meaningless however.

So damn confident going into this tie. 8)

Knowing Celtic I'll have to take something like a vallium for the last ten minutes or so. Hopefully Astana come out of the blocks all guns blazing and lose one of the cheapest goals ever from a counter attack. :)

Nice to see Ajer getting the go ahead in this game, hopefully the young man has a blinder of a game boosting his confidence.

Just now, McQuade said:

Hope Gordon isn't gonny fanny about when he has the ball again

Stick some money on the fud losing his shit trying to sweep the ball to the opposition and then he has to run backwards to clean up his filthy mess. Not the best distribution from the c**t, and appears to be getting worse as the team gets better? :o

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Whoever wins the EPL should 100 percent automatically qualify, that doesn't render club rankings meaningless however.

It was the number 1 seeding I was getting at, hardly a proud European record, our Leicester.............

Archived