Celtic in Europe - 17/18

TheCelt67

Now that the fun and games of our superb treble winning season is behind us, let's look towards our next European adventure. 

Group stage of the Champions League is a must, with us ideally improving on our recent results.  Hopefully the draw pairs us against some new opposition as Barcelona are beginning to bore the arse aff me.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel a lot more confident going into the qualifiers than I did at the start of this season. But will still be an achievement getting into the group stage. As you say its a must we do get there and get decent performances and results if we don't get there as we lose our 16.860 points from 2012/13 after this season. And the season after gets a lot harder.

On 2017-5-28 at 22:43, atfccfc said:

I feel a lot more confident going into the qualifiers than I did at the start of this season. But will still be an achievement getting into the group stage. As you say its a must we do get there and get decent performances and results if we don't get there as we lose our 16.860 points from 2012/13 after this season. And the season after gets a lot harder.

I am sure I read talk of us being in Pot 3 should we make the group stages.  If true, it's certainly a welcomed boost.

I am sure I read talk of us being in Pot 3 should we make the group stages.  If true, it's certainly a welcomed boost.

We need 3 out of the below 6 teams to lose in the qualifiers if we are to make pot 3. It's unlikely tbh

The 6 teams are Sevilla, Napoli, Liverpool, Ajax, D Kiev in the league route (all 5 likely to be seeded so will avoid each other) and Olympiacos in the champions route. They were knocked out by Beer Sheva in qualifying this season so that ones possible.

Just now, Tartantony said:

We need 3 out of the below 6 teams to lose in the qualifiers if we are to make pot 3. It's unlikely tbh

The 6 teams are Sevilla, Napoli, Liverpool, Ajax, D Kiev in the league route (all 5 likely to be seeded so will avoid each other) and Olympiacos in the champions route. They were knocked out by Beer Sheva in qualifying this season so that ones possible.

Ah well, Pot 4 it is then.

I was trying to search to see how we would be in pot 3. So thanks to Tartantony for that. Pot 4 it will be then. I thought we only had to rely on Ajax winning last weeks Europa league final. That now makes it imperative we win as many of the qualifiers as possible (6 wins from 6 games would be ideal though hard)

I think the good thing about the qualifiers this time is no team will like to be drawn against Celtic
For me there is not many teams that can put us out
first qualifier should be a breeze maybe dundalk and honved the strongest opponents
second qualifier has the usual suspects astana,beer-sheva,rosenborg ones to avoid would be partizan belgrade and nk rijeka
last one aopel nicosia to be avoided but pretty confident Celtic will get to the group stages

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think the good thing about the qualifiers this time is no team will like to be drawn against Celtic
For me there is not many teams that can put us out
first qualifier should be a breeze maybe dundalk and honved the strongest opponents
second qualifier has the usual suspects astana,beer-sheva,rosenborg ones to avoid would be partizan belgrade and nk rijeka
last one aopel nicosia to be avoided but pretty confident Celtic will get to the group stages

I think there's a chance we could end up with Legia Warsaw.  Would really wan't to avoid them given how they'd probably be the strongest unseeded team.  Also taking into account the bad blood that came about after the famous night at Murrayfield when were able to turn around a 4-1 defeat from the first leg and triumphed 3-0 to see us through to the next round...

I'm much more confident this time around than last year for a couple of reasons, first is that we should have fewer injuries, particularly at the back where we had a number of first team players out at the early stages of last year, the likes of Ambrose, O'Connell, Janko etc... were playing more out of necessity than anything else.  Second, Brendan has had a full year to truly evaluate who is Celtic material and who isn't.  

13 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

I think there's a chance we could end up with Legia Warsaw.  Would really wan't to avoid them given how they'd probably be the strongest unseeded team.  Also taking into account the bad blood that came about after the famous night at Murrayfield when were able to turn around a 4-1 defeat from the first leg and triumphed 3-0 to see us through to the next round...

Legia warsaw would be seeded until the last qualifying round if they win there league, (not finished yet)i would take legia this time in the play-off,Celtic are a much stronger team now plus playing at paradise is a big difference. 

Legia would be seeded for QR2 and QR3 so we would avoid them. They could also end up seeded in the play-off depending on how other teams get on.

Thats if they qualify for the CL. There is still one League match left in Poland with Legia top by 2 points ahead of three other teams in joint second. I believe they only need a draw at home to win the league though.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Legia warsaw would be seeded until the last qualifying round if they win there league, (not finished yet)i would take legia this time in the play-off,Celtic are a much stronger team now plus playing at paradise is a big difference. 

1 minute ago, Tartantony said:

Legia would be seeded for QR2 and QR3 so we would avoid them. They could also end up seeded in the play-off depending on how other teams get on.

Thats if they qualify for the CL. There is still one League match left in Poland with Legia top by 2 points ahead of three other teams in joint second. I believe they only need a draw at home to win the league though.

In that case, feck knows where I got the whole "Legia will be seeded".

Celtic are one of the strongest teams in the qualifiers if not the strongest
Qualifiers are always tough but would rather play them than playing friendlies or the group stages of the league cup
Brendan's Celtic can beat any team at home plus the good results we got in Germany and England last year gives me confidence that we can score away too.

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Im sure the police in both Scotland and Northern Ireland would be ecstatic if Celtic and Linfield were to be drawn together in the 2nd qualifying round !

Given how games will be played on the 12th of July, I bet they can't wait.

Group stages in the Champions League please Celtic, not that Celtic will reach the knock-out stage but hopefully this is the case but more for the UEFA lottery pay out for reaching the CL group stages. Would be happy to finish 3rd in the CL group stages and then enter into the Europa League knock-out stage and hopefully reach the finals stage.

Hopefully Brendan improves the squad by adding better quality players into the squad and gets rid of a few duds in the process. I think we need a proper Centre Back and another decent striker up front and some king size nappies for Craig Gordon after his shocker today batting the ball into his own goal ffs? Gordon gives me the jeebies when Celtic are playing in Europe because he can make a complete c**t of even the most simple of tasks.

As previously posted anyone but fucking Barca again ffs.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

So there is a possibility of Celtic playing Linfield in Belfast on July 12th.  Has someone consulted with PSNI yet?  That could be a wee bit dodgy I would think...

Why? According to the Celts on here, they do not have a sectarian issue. So I cant see a problem at all :whistle

Archived