French Open Tennis 2017

lichtie23

Interesting article today that sums it up all beautifully why Nadal is the greatest. Of course its only an opinion and nobody can be truly right. Out of 2.5k votes though the majority voted Nadal as the greatest of all time.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/nadal-v-federer-who-is-the-greatest-of-all-time/news-story/e5592a8f4f90216d7b2324c3ba035563

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you think Nadal is the 2nd greatest of all time going on your logic? [emoji848]

I don't even think he's greater than Borg or Laver. Top three are Laver, Borg and Federer.

If we are doing whataboutery imagine Borg bothered his arse to go play the grass tournaments of Australia, and didn't functionally retire at 25?

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I don't even think he's greater than Borg or Laver. Top three are Laver, Borg and Federer.

If we are doing whataboutery imagine Borg bothered his arse to go play the grass tournaments of Australia, and didn't functionally retire at 25?

If Djokovic hadn't collapsed recently he'd be close to being above him as well. The level he was at was unreal, utter dominance for a period of years. Something Nadal has never done. He doesn't need La Decima to skew his figures either.

Holding all four slams at once is an incredible feat. In that greatest list I shared a link with earlier has Djokovic ahead of Nadal already.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Holding all four slams at once is an incredible feat. In that greatest list I shared a link with earlier has Djokovic ahead of Nadal already.

I had him ahead as well but if he doesn't regain his previous form rapidly he may end up out the discussion. I don't think he's the type of player to be top of the sport when he's 33 so the next couple of years will be crucial. 

If Andy Murray had been born 10 years later he'd be up there in this equation as well... :whistle

Seriously, though, you can pull any circumstance out of your arse to argue either for or against any of the top guys. Even Federer, who imo is the best by a distance, started his career in a weak era and was facing the likes of Philippoussis, Baghdatis and Gonzalez in Slam finals. Those guys would never have got near one if they played a few years later.

Archived