New clubs in South of Scotland League

Fixtures up to Christmas out on SOSL website - as expected all of Annan Athletic SOS's home weekend games are on Friday nights.

Really???
Shocking. Football should be Saturday mainly.
Have clubs agreed to this or have League just decided and scheduled games.

Whether it's shocking or not - I'll go as far as to say it's unorthodox - it's hardly unexpected? Regular season is about 40 weeks long end of July to end of April... Annan have 18 home league games in SPFL2; Edusport have 15 home league games in LL (couple may be midweek tbf) - that's 33... Then add Scottish and Irn Bru cup ties for Annan and Scottish, South Challenge and Southern Counties cup ties for Edusport.

Clearly a team 3rd in the food chain in a 3-way groundshare won't have many occasions when a free Saturday is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Aguerooooo said:

Really???
Shocking. Football should be Saturday mainly.
Have clubs agreed to this or have League just decided and scheduled games.

I think generally it's good for the league having a Friday night game every few weeks. It gives loads of folk the option to go and watch it when they'd usually be at their own teams' game on a Saturday, thus potentially improving the attendance. It also gives the players of each team the odd weekend where they've got a full Saturday and Sunday without a game which can be spent with family etc. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea and it might not be ideal for Stranraer, Bonnyton, Newton & Wigtown travelling away on a Friday night but as long as the fixtures are out well in advance it shouldn't be too much of an issue to make the necessary arrangements.

• 10 months later...

As it happens they only played 1 of 14 home league games, and of 0 of 4 home cup ties, on Saturdays...

Last season the SOSL AGM was this Thursday, but given the Cree Lodge Cup Final won't be until after that and next Thursday is still in May, I'm supposing it might be then. Regardless it can't be far off. Wigtown returning - is there any reliable news of applicants or clubs dropping-out?

As it happens they only played 1 of 14 home league games, and of 0 of 4 home cup ties, on Saturdays...  

Last season the SOSL AGM was this Thursday, but given the Cree Lodge Cup Final won't be until after that and next Thursday is still in May, I'm supposing it might be then. Regardless it can't be far off. Wigtown returning - is there any reliable news of applicants or clubs dropping-out?

Is there anywhere applicants could come from given the only other football in D&G is Sunday amateur? Do any of the teams playing in the Border amateurs fall under SOSL territory?  

As for Junior teams from South Ayrshire/D&G eg Girvan & Kello I don‘t see them jumping ship.

4 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Is there anywhere applicants could come from given the only other football in D&G is Sunday amateur? Do any of the teams playing in the Border amateurs fall under SOSL territory?  

As for Junior teams from South Ayrshire/D&G eg Girvan & Kello I don‘t see them jumping ship.

Think the Junior clubs will wait for any WoSFL getting set up. Much in the same way we've heard about Wigtown returning, a traditional SoS side returning would maybe have been noted by now.

Best bet would be another Bonnyton Thistle, a boys club setting up a senior aged side or another SPFL reserve team.

Reason For difficulty getting a committee stem from the difficulty getting enough decent players. Some posters on here just can not grasp the fact that Galloway is a lightly populated area. Keeping teams going playerwise in Stranraer, Newton Stewart, Wigtown and Creetown is difficult enough without adding any more. Youth football and rugby do ok because there are only two teams ( Stranraer and Newton Stewart) in the area.; It is nice to dream the dream but not always practical. 

Reason For difficulty getting a committee stem from the difficulty getting enough decent players. Some posters on here just can not grasp the fact that Galloway is a lightly populated area. Keeping teams going playerwise in Stranraer, Newton Stewart, Wigtown and Creetown is difficult enough without adding any more. Youth football and rugby do ok because there are only two teams ( Stranraer and Newton Stewart) in the area.; It is nice to dream the dream but not always practical. 

Even youth football is a nightmare at the moment . I know that the local youth team in newton at U17’s level couldn’t fulfil there last three fixtures due to numbers . So that’s not great either.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, honestman54 said:

with 26 clubs joining the 13 in the EoS league, is there any talk of a WoS league being set up for the 2018/19 season as seems to be suggested in a few places?

There's no way they can sort it in time surely. 

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Great stuff, thanks.

I see QotS and Edusport have decided to enter the Haig Gordon Cup: these will be their U20 teams?

Have the Potts and Tweedie draws been held back or cups suspended?

They decided to play the regionalised Cups on a bi-annual basis to avoid fixture congestion ie next Season the Potts and Tweedie will replace the Haig Gordon and the Cree Lodge Cup 

Edited by AML67

Probably a good call when you see the volume of games Threave had to play this season... plus with a few games still being added via Wigtown joining everything, and the aforementioned pair putting some kind of team into the Haig Gordon. There will still be 3 "local" cups just for SOSL clubs... the League, Cree Lodge and Haig Gordon... compared to only 2 in the EOS League set-up.

Not a new idea either: throughout the 1980s and early 1990s the Cree Lodge and Potts cups swapped places each season. Nice way to keep the old cups going instead of retiring any outright.