New clubs in South of Scotland League

According to the SoSL website, 3 new teams are entering the SoSL for 2017/18. These are the Reserve/Development sides of Annan Athletic and Stranraer, and Bonnyton Thistle Fc (from Kilmarnock) who are a "premier community club", with a new pitch to match. It appears that Fleet Star are not returning after a year out. Interestingly, if Annan will be using their ground each week, where will Edusport Academy be playing their home games  next season ?

Good for the league to have added the teams in.

Are Annan and Stranraer likely to use any first team players who may have picked up a injury during the season and require extra game time?

Annan's reserve playing their games on Friday nights must be a first in senior football AFAICS? i.e. not playing predominantly on Saturday afternoons.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

With their training base being at Lesser, why not there? A decent enough Lowland league venue I'm sure.

Thought the same regarding BSCG when they moved out of Maryhill. However it wouldn't meet LL or licensing criteria currently - no cover.

Annan's reserve playing their games on Friday nights must be a first in senior football AFAICS? i.e. not playing predominantly on Saturday afternoons.

Thought the same regarding BSCG when they moved out of Maryhill. However it wouldn't meet LL or licensing criteria currently - no cover.

It would basically be... Yes!

And I think it does have cover... Was informed it would meet the licensing criteria by a couple of people! But there are other problems related to using Lesser as a ground

I was there earlier in the season, so if it does it must have gone up recently. There was an awning in front of the old farmhouse thing but nothing underneath it (don't even think it was stepped); certainly not for 100. Then again there's no way 100 could actually use Golspie's and see the game :lol:.

By the same token it seems a bit of a waste given the facilities, you'd have thought it could be upgraded:

DSC_0108.jpg

img_0560.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

8 hours ago, Yonas said:

Are Annan and Stranraer likely to use any first team players who may have picked up a injury during the season and require extra game time?

I'd imagine any Stranraer players are more likely to play with the under 20's unless there's a change in rules. Last season overage players were allowed. Think it would be more logistical reasons for them playing with the 20's rather than the south team as the majority of first team players are more central belt based.

The club haven't really mentioned their plans with the South team, what age they plan to run with, management team etc. At a guess I think Alan Jenkins will be quite active with them given he's turned down a new deal at Ballymena and is current head of youth.

I'd imagine any Stranraer players are more likely to play with the under 20's unless there's a change in rules. Last season overage players were allowed. Think it would be more logistical reasons for them playing with the 20's rather than the south team as the majority of first team players are more central belt based.
The club haven't really mentioned their plans with the South team, what age they plan to run with, management team etc. At a guess I think Alan Jenkins will be quite active with them given he's turned down a new deal at Ballymena and is current head of youth.

Think cutchy taking team jenky goin to kilwinning good source [emoji108]

11 hours ago, neily1690 said:

Think cutchy taking team jenky goin to kilwinning good source emoji108.png

Could move for Jenky provided Chris Strain doesn't have any influence on him. Strain is a complete idiot!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-26 at 21:44, Yonas said:

Does anyone know anything about  Bonnyton Thistle, as this club is not one which I know ?

On 2017/05/27 at 13:18, HibeeJibee said:

Correct: Clubs are not allowed to have more than one team in the “Professional” structure.

...but that could be changing soon given the colt team in the Highland and Lowland league and up to League One plan that is currently being pushed.

Progress is a good thing generally but there seems to be a lot off change for the sake off change.

Remember like politics it is dead easy to come up with ideas that look good but the question is are they sustainable.

All the old ways are not bad. 

22 hours ago, Robert James said:

Does anyone know anything about  Bonnyton Thistle, as this club is not one which I know ?

Decent youth set up based in Kilmarnock, churn out a lot of lads from 21s that go into the Juniors at a good level, some going even higher - O'Ware a recent example at Morton. have their own pitch and clubhouse in the town with plans to redevelop.

Have to say Bonnyton's setup looks really good. May try and get down a few times this season when we've maybe got a free week or a Sunday game etc. Ironically I live in Bonnyton, but the new ground is in the Townholm area as mentioned above.

Their new ground is almost finished according to their social media - photos from earlier this week below - and they have a home friendly with Hurlford organised for Wednesday 19th July. I think I read somewhere that the grandstand (which will stand behind where the man is standing on a plank in the lower photo) wouldn't be part of the initial stage of works but if that's right I'm not sure when it will be erected.

19399417_1476779922365861_16193806523725

19248157_1476779919032528_74734222367599