Jump to content

The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Lockdown has been a harsh mistress

monty python GIF by Head Like an Orange

You and me both, it's highly disappointing putting on a belt only for you to not even reach the first buckle hole. I cannot wait until the spring/summer and an easing in lockdown so I can shed some of this weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

it's highly disappointing putting on a belt only for you to not even reach the first buckle hole

big brother 17 forum GIF

Im not quite that bad, more like one notch more than before.

Sounds like you need to remove the Just Eat app from the phone................

Edited by Leith Green
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

big brother 17 forum GIF

Im not quite that bad, more like one notch more than before.

Sounds like you need to remove the Just Eat app from the phone................

My belt was 30" waist so it's not like I'm huge, just bigger than before. Plus more layers on for the winter. Not that I'm making excuses here!

 

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Thanks for posting a gif that shows Mugabi's foot doesn't go through the back of Erwin.

Yep, it looks just a ridiculous. Anyway I simply used that penalty  as an example and maybe Goodwin has called out his own players when the’ve dived and if he does that in future then fair play but it’s going to come back to haunt him if that’s not the case. We will see.

Edited by Yorky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Even the Sportscene video shows him making that contact, what's interesting is it's the frame directly before the one they choose to freeze frame when Erwin's foot has been kicked and Mugabi's foot has moved on due to momentum.
However, I said at the time I didn't think it was a penalty (for the reasons I stated above), and it's telling that it's the official on the side that called it not Madden.
Even if there was contact on Erwin, it certainly wasn't enough to cause the rolling about as if he was halved.

I agree with Goodwin's general sentiment and you were on the wrong end of a really poor decision against Celtic but he would help his cause if he said that St. Mirren had also benefited from other poor decisions. Let's not even go near the 2 penalties St. Mirren got against United (although one was for handball which is another argument).
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ric said:

Even the Sportscene video shows him making that contact, what's interesting is it's the frame directly before the one they choose to freeze frame when Erwin's foot has been kicked and Mugabi's foot has moved on due to momentum.

However, I said at the time I didn't think it was a penalty (for the reasons I stated above), and it's telling that it's the official on the side that called it not Madden.

See, you're talking about "contact" again. What the gif you've posted shows that Erwin's boot comes down onto Mugabi, he doesn't go "through the back of him" what the Sportscene slow-mo shows is that if there is any "contact" then it's minimal (and also that Mugabi looks to get a touch to the ball).

If your argument was that Erwin was off balance and fell over, I'd 100% buy that but the idea that, at worst, a brush of his boot gives him cause to collapse in the way he does is a nonsense.

Erwin "felt contact" and went down, whoever it was that "won" St Mirren's penalty in the United box "felt contact" and went down. Greg Taylor....felt contact and went down.

Goodwin's entitled to have a wee moan if he thinks the Celtic penalty was soft but as others have said he's got a brass neck coming out giving it big licks in the way he has when you look at some of the decisions St Mirren have benefitted from that (to the best of my knowledge) he hasn't "called out".

Edited by capt_oats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I agree with Goodwin's general sentiment and you were on the wrong end of a really poor decision against Celtic but he would help his cause if he said that St. Mirren had also benefited from other poor decisions. Let's not even go near the 2 penalties St. Mirren got against United (although one was for handball which is another argument).

I think it's totally fair to say he's opening himself up to accusations of not holding his own players to the same standard. In the round though. I'd maybe argue that there are so few incidents you could cite us for over the season does suggest something, but if Goodwin wanted to really press his case he probably should have highlighted those situations at the same time as castigating Murphy and Taylor. (Edit I wrote that before I'd seen @capt_oats's post and I think that it applies to their comment too).

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think part of it is that while ‘everyone cheats at times’ is true, it’s how the bigger clubs tend to get the benefit of the doubt that makes it rankle so much.

Take both home games v Celtic and Hibs this season, and some seriously bad decisions went against us in those games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We (Motherwell) have certainly benefitted in the past from dodgy penalties but I can't think of any we've got this season (although I haven't put much thought into it).

Goodwin is only coming out with this now because he's been on the wrong end of a decision. There's already a mechanism in place for giving bans for simulation, effectively labelling the player a diver. I'm not sure what else can be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think part of it is that while ‘everyone cheats at times’ is true, it’s how the bigger clubs tend to get the benefit of the doubt that makes it rankle so much.
Take both home games v Celtic and Hibs this season, and some seriously bad decisions went against us in those games.

And we got decisions in our favour against Motherwell and Dundee United. Maybe that supports your point about club size...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Jinkies, Goodwin getting stuck in about the diving issue on Radio Scotland. Addressing both the decisions for and against.

You won't agree....again.

Kenny Mac asked him about the Erwin one and he said there was contact.......

Also said he tells his players to stay on their feet and wants other managers to do the same.

He's making a tit of himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You won't agree....again.

Despite me saying almost the same thing?  Scroll back 7 posts or so.

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Also said he tells his players to stay on their feet and wants other managers to do the same.

He's making a tit of himself.

You are in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees here. You seem so determined to paint Goodwin as the bad guy your narrative is that all players should cheat.

Goodwin is entirely correct in saying what he did, and I would humbly suggest the only people making "tits of themselves" are those who think that he's not.

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You won't agree....again.
Kenny Mac asked him about the Erwin one and he said there was contact.......
Also said he tells his players to stay on their feet and wants other managers to do the same.
He's making a tit of himself.
Not as much as you are on this thread
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

You are in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees here. You seem so determined to paint Goodwin as the bad guy your narrative is that all players should cheat.

Goodwin is entirely correct in saying what he did, and I would humbly suggest the only people making "tits of themselves" are those who think that he's not.

Goodwin has called Taylor and Murphy cheats. He was asked about his own players and shat it when offered the opportunity to land one on them too.

If he was being as even handed as you suggest, he would have said to Kenny Mac "Yes, we got a really soft one in the Erwin incident, and also had Obika carded for diving"

Instead, he doubled down on the ridiculous assertion that he tries to do the right thing and its everyone else is cheating.

Perhaps Taylor and Murphy "felt contact" as - according to your dingull of a manager, thats fine? The problem for me is that he doesnt know that, but despite that lack of knowledge, calls them cheats.

23 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Not as much as you are on this thread

 Great contribution 1362085742_Screenshot2020-12-07at08_49_39.png.a8eddec94f720c66a7b1d7b5e8ac83d5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Goodwin has called Taylor and Murphy cheats. He was asked about his own players and shat it when offered the opportunity to land one on them too.

If he was being as even handed as you suggest, he would have said to Kenny Mac "Yes, we got a really soft one in the Erwin incident, and also had Obika carded for diving"

Instead, he doubled down on the ridiculous assertion that he tries to do the right thing and its everyone else is cheating.

Perhaps Taylor and Murphy "felt contact" as - according to your dingull of a manager, thats fine? The problem for me is that he doesnt know that, but despite that lack of knowledge, calls them cheats.

You head what you wanted to hear.

It's becoming clear you have a stauner for Goodwin because he rightfully called your player out for falling over.

Nobody else here is claiming Goodwin is "being a tit" for asking players not the cheat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ric said:

You head what you wanted to hear.

It's becoming clear you have a stauner for Goodwin because he rightfully called your player out for falling over.

Nobody else here is claiming Goodwin is "being a tit" for asking players not the cheat.

Fucks sake Ric get your head out your arse - the issue is that Murphy didnt cheat, nobody at the time said hee haw, no commentators mentioned it - the only person stating it is you radge of a manager has called him a cheat - which is utterly outrageous.

That your wee pals havent jumped on this issue is not unsurprising as about half of them on the match thread thought it was a pen, soft but a pen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Fucks sake Ric get your head out your arse - the issue is that Murphy didnt cheat, nobody at the time said hee haw, no commentators mentioned it - the only person stating it is you radge of a manager has called him a cheat - which is utterly outrageous.

Because Murphy's centre of gravity is in his shoulders.. :rolleyes:

It's notable that not once, not a single time, have you said players shouldn't cheat. You've been blinded by your hate for Goodwin, which is a shame, because if you weren't you'd accept what he is saying is right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ric said:

Because Murphy's centre of gravity is in his shoulders.. :rolleyes:

It's notable that not once, not a single time, have you said players shouldn't cheat. You've been blinded by your hate for Goodwin, which is a shame, because if you weren't you'd accept what he is saying is right.

I dont hate Goodwin - and in an ideal (lets call it amatuer) world, all players would stay on their feet even when thugs take their legs.

But he is wrong about this issue. Did you hear the ex pros pissing themselves laughing at his suggestion that players shouldnt go down in the box earlier?

Did you hear David Templeton on OtB earlier today? He pointed out that no professional will turn down the chance to win a penalty because, Duh, its their job to win matches and points.

There is also a world of difference between going down when you feel the contact - like Murphy and Erwin did, and throwing yourself to the ground when there has been no contact at all - which is basically what you and Goodwin are suggesting Murphy did.

Goodwin also commented on Murphys pen v Aberdeen saying he cheated, which was analysed by 3 people on Sportscene and every single one said it was a penalty. Perhaps they were also in the wrong, like me?

And to reiterate, I like Goodwin, but dont agree with his stance here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • djchapsticks changed the title to The St. Mirren FC 2022/23 thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...