The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

This century they have spent four seasons outside the top-flight, have won the Scottish Cup once and finished runners up twice, and were runners up in the League Cup twice - so they have competed in five major finals.

Again, the last 20 years, entirely arbitrary.

Before Jerry Kerr became manager they were a joke team, consistently bumming around the middle to lower half of the 2nd tier.

51 minutes ago, Ric said:

I should probably change my name to Statto or something, but I'd be interested in seeing that for this century alone.

I've heard a lot of debate over the years over which is the bigger of the Old Firm clubs (I'd say Celtic), which is the third biggest club (Hearts, IMHO), etc. I suppose there's no easy way to define the size of a club - e.g. in recent years Bournemouth have been more successful than Leeds, but I wouldn't argue they're a bigger club.

History, recent history, attendances, stadia and budget are factors that come off the top of my head.

That would be some trick considering we already have a player on loan from Kilmarnock
It's obviously not true (though he was immediately who I thought of when I read Goodwin was chasing a left-sided defender), but you are allowed two players on loan from any Premiership club so it would be possible.

Just now, craigkillie said:
58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
That would be some trick considering we already have a player on loan from Kilmarnock

It's obviously not true (though he was immediately who I thought of when I read Goodwin was chasing a left-sided defender), but you are allowed two players on loan from any Premiership club so it would be possible.

That another new rule for this season?

Still holding out hope - I honestly thought we'd have gotten the guy we're after over the line in good time but it's clearly not gone at all to plan.
So whether we're onto other targets or just chucked it at this point, who knows?
I do. We have just chucked it.

1 minute ago, elvis said:
8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
Still holding out hope - I honestly thought we'd have gotten the guy we're after over the line in good time but it's clearly not gone at all to plan.
So whether we're onto other targets or just chucked it at this point, who knows?

I do. We have just chucked it.

You're such a fucking wet flannel that it defies words.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The comment Goodwin made a few hours back suggested he'd missed out on whoever we were tracking, and the repeated "Saints are looking for.." and Goodwin's "We'll be here all night" seemed more intent on attracting agents calls than actually updating the fans.

Still, in a sense, not losing McCarthy, McGrath or Erhahon during the window has probably been a better bit of business than getting cover in. I have a feeling we might see some random free agent rock up as left sided cover for 6 months, never play more than a combined 30 minutes for that time, then disappear and only remain as a St Mirren trivia question in the future. It's the way of things normally.

Edited by Ric