The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

His hatred of Obika is bordering on the bizarre.
Jon was fantastic when he came on yesterday.
Buy a new dictionary Lex. One that provides a definition of hatred as you obviously don't know what it means. Any of the few times I dared to disagree that Obika was a great striker I got peltered even though the manager was also highlighting his deficiencies and signed 3 other strikers to replace him. You don't like it when someone has a different opionion from you. Bizarre.

Not being in a relegation battle should help the development of some of the younger players. Takes the pressure off and let's them relax and play.

Looking at the team yesterday: Erhahon (19), McCarthy, MacPherson, McAllister (all 22). McGrath is 24 but still just 30 games at this level.

They should all continue to improve.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

His hatred of Obika is bordering on the bizarre.
Jon was fantastic when he came on yesterday.

Obika came on yesterday and dragged us out and up the park at a point where we were sitting precariously on our own 18 yard line.

The Celtic defence didn't like playing against him at all.

So much credit should be given to JG yesterday, all through the game he continued to shout and encourage the players. Near the end Brophy wasn’t tracking back and JG was bawling at him, you could see he looked at him and put a sprint on to get back and hopefully this isn’t putting him on other teams radar

Can't be arsed posting this in the match thread now as it's become a centre for navel gazing for over-entitled glory hunters.

However, how the dust has settled, that really was a bit special yesterday. For me, though, the performance was more than the result. Jim promised we would start to go toe-to-toe against the cheeks, and I think we were all crushingly disappointed with the manner of the 3-0 game at Ibrox. But since then we're really developing as a team and it's magic to watch.

That game has put to bed any doubts I had about Goodwin as a tactician. He may still get it wrong - I'm sure he will - but he absolutely did a number on Celtic yesterday. And it was no smash n grab: we played some outstanding football. We've now got options all over the park and a squad that will clearly buy in to what he wants to achieve. These results will get the club noticed and players will want to come here.

Honestly, I - as with any Saints fan - can take defeats. They're a way of life. But I do want a side that plays without fear and doesn't look beaten before a ball is kicked. It feels like we're finally getting there and it feels amazing.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can't be arsed posting this in the match thread now as it's become a centre for navel gazing for over-entitled glory hunters.

Honestly, I - as with any Saints fan - can take defeats. They're a way of life. But I do want a side that plays without fear and doesn't look beaten before a ball is kicked. It feels like we're finally getting there and it feels amazing.

It really is a shame the match thread became all about them but in their world everything is however our performance yesterday was nothing of brilliant.
No fluke goal and backs to the wall, just a well managed game, we gave them possession in their half and then closed them down as they moved forward.
Even the way Jim saw us getting too deep and brought on Obika to give us an out ball was brilliant.

The media will focus on Celtic but that really was a great Saints performance 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I wonder what people's opinion will be when we play them again in a week come Wednesday. ;)

I don't think anyone expected anything yesterday, and odds are we'll lose when we entertain them next week. But like Coventry Saint said, if we go toe-to-toe with them, and put in a good shift I'd be happy, and there's always the chance we can get some unexpected points.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I wonder what people's opinion will be when we play them again in a week come Wednesday. ;)

I mean if we set out in the same manner and with the same belief and application, there's no reason why we can't get at them again and make things difficult for them, we've already made life hard for them twice this season already. 

Livingston done the exact same thing only last week when they played them twice in 4 days.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Livingston done the exact same thing only last week when they played them twice in 4 days.

Aye, but the Livi games weren't "the lowest possible" Lennon's ever felt. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Ric said:

There is roughly 40 points left, 36 for County, 42 for Hamilton (45 for us!).

Winning 1 in every 4 games for any team at the bottom of the league is probably about right, it's nearly 1/5 for County, Hamilton and Motherwell but as we all know the pressure of being at the sharp end can bring out an improvement on that.

Just going on simple back of a fag packet maths, that would suggest the low 30s will be enough. I find that a bit low as you'd expect Motherwell to improve, County to become considerably more stuffy if not necessarily winning lots and Hamilton, well, they are Hamilton.

Unrelated to CS's comment above, I think people are being a bit premature with Dennis. I've been a bit of a flag waver for the lad for a while, as his movement and ball retention (when he finally got in the team) had looked good even if he wasn't scoring goals, but I wouldn't suggest Obika is suddenly relegated to an also ran. Managers haven't had time to study how to counter Dennis yet, and Obika still had a very important job for us between now and the end of the season. That said, I think that with Erwin and Dennis both being contracted until 2022 and Brophy for longer, it's probably the case that we'll not see Obika stay after the Summer. The question is, when he realises this (if he hasn't already) it's all about whether he goes out with a bang or a whimper. You'd hope it'd be the former, after all he's certainly made a name for himself amongst our support, but you never know.

Sorry I think Obika had a very positive impact when he came on and I think we might just extend his contract, he is the sort of player that improves with a partner and on too many occasions when he has played for us, he has been the lone wolf and it isn't really his game............but he did it, says a lot for the man.

Strange feeling being a Buddies these days.  We have been conditioned to expect certain outcomes from both sides of the old firm.. Who didn't feel we had blown it when Rangers equalised with 3 minutes to go in the Cup or Cetic equalised on Saturday.  I cannot remember a Saints team, picking themselves up and scoring so quickly.  Normally the heads go down and stay there.

Certainly for me, my heart sank and though "here we go again.".

I am so happy to be wrong,  is so wonderful!!