The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Fair play to Jim and the team, they've pulled that out the bag tonight when few of us expected them to.

It looks like the return of Flynn to the midfield might be just what we've been looking for - he brings a calmness and a touch of class. And, going by his run for the fifth goal, is fit enough.

It's frustrating that all of this comes too late to make the League Cup final - which is a massive missed chance - but onwards and upwards. If United are currently a top-six side, there's no reason we can't be if we just get a settled team.

On 16/01/2021 at 21:56, Gareth_Glasgow said:

PLAY RYAN FLYNN PLEASE

We got there in the end. Really pleased for Flynn tonight - to come into the team after 11 months and such a serious injury at his age and then play at the level he did tonight just shows what a quality player he is. The run and assist for the fifth goal sums up his best qualities very neatly. I thought Erhahon played well overall tonight but when he had a dodgy spell in the second half, Flynn mopped everything up and brought much more balance to the midfield when it was needed.

It does raise the question though of why Jim didn't give him a chance earlier when central midfield has been our glaring weak point for weeks now. Sunday's lineup looks even more horrendous now.

We must be the most Jekyll and Hyde club ever. From losing a cup semi-final to our biggest top flight away win in nearly 40 years.

Saturday is the usual free hit but we have SIX home games next month and if we can win 4 or more of those we can really start thinking top 6 or even 5.

I suppose a good bar to gauge our progression against are the following facts:

• We currently have 26 points after playing 22 matches.
  • In 2018-2019 it took us 36 league games to hit the 26 points mark. Indeed, this was because of a particularly good run of form. We were on 12 points after 22 games.
  • In 2019-2020, going into the last game against Hearts (at the 29 match mark), we had 26 points. The win took us to 29 points after 30 matches. We had reached 19 points after 22 matches.

We are currently massively ahead of our historical trend at this point in the season. In fact, it's the best we've been at this point of the season since 2011-12 when we had the same points haul at this point.

1 minute ago, RussellV1 said:

The fact he wasn't even on the bench hinted at that.

I think that Flynn's performance, the fact we played 2 up front, and the possibility of Foley freeing up a wage for someone else to come in will subdue any worries most of us had that it could leave us short.

Let's hope he doesn't recapture his previous form, although he certainly leaves with my thanks for a great first season.

Just now, Ric said:

The fact he wasn't even on the bench hinted at that.

I think that Flynn's performance, the fact we played 2 up front, and the possibility of Foley freeing up a wage for someone else to come in will subdue any worries most of us had that it could leave us short.

Let's hope he doesn't recapture his previous form, although he certainly leaves with my thanks for a great first season.

The enforced pre-season of over 5 months absolutely put paid to Foley.

Many a good player in their mid-30s have gone away for pre-season and come back a lesser player.

Just seen the highlights and thought we were good tonight, but definitely got the rub of the green. Had to laugh at Jim's comments about penalties! We've had a fair few controversial ones given this season. 

Sad to see Foley go. 

Foley did us a great turn last season but not great this season and hasn't kicked a ball since November; on top of that, 35 later this year and into the last few months of his contract.... Jim absolutely right I think to persist with Erhahon and MacPherson instead. They'll blow a bit hot and cold given their age but they're the future of the club.

Totally unrelated, but Dennis got a good run tonight and you can see that he is a very tidy footballer. Down the pecking order at the moment but he'll clearly do a job if called upon.

3 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Totally unrelated, but Dennis got a good run tonight and you can see that he is a very tidy footballer. Down the pecking order at the moment but he'll clearly do a job if called upon.

Credited with an assist for his blind punt to Connolly but, seriously, his movement for his goal was excellent. I'd start the Sellick game with him and Brophy up front.

17 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Credited with an assist for his blind punt to Connolly but, seriously, his movement for his goal was excellent. I'd start the Sellick game with him and Brophy up front.

Two up front...against Celtic?

28 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Been saying this since he came back from his injury and forced his way back into the team. Looks better at holding up the ball than Erwin, looks to have a decent finish, an eye for a pass and has decent positioning on the field.