The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Pretty certain that Mason is back in training along with the rest of the team in the Jak Alnwick interview on St Mirren TV 

Every saints fan said start Connolly and Durmus. Nope, Mason starts.

Everyone saying Mason should come off with Durmus coming on. Nope, Connolly off and Kyle on.

Goodwin needs to stop being such a shitebag and going negative first. 

1 minute ago, aldo_j said:

Every saints fan said start Connolly and Durmus. Nope, Mason starts.

Everyone saying Mason should come off with Durmus coming on. Nope, Connolly off and Kyle on.

Goodwin needs to stop being such a shitebag and going negative first. 

I’m actually getting fed up with his tactics, our midfield can’t get on the ball and we just play aimless punts into the opposition box hoping something will break for us. This is one of the better squads we have had for a while but the lack of tactical awareness is killing us. 

I am so fond of Jim Goodwin and his commitment to the club is amazing but he needs to fix this soon or sadly he will need to be replaced. The board have backed him financially and they will expect a return on that.

I fear Connolly is just a very very fast version of Morais. Very unpredictable and not got much of an end product.

We should know by now Brophy or Erwin up front on their own doesn't work. Obika is the best player for that.

Mason starting ahead of Durmus.

I hope Jim recovers from this quickly and learns from it. Seems to be the same mistake every single time. Tough games coming up now too, pressure could be on him again.

Just as well we weren't at Hampden for that, I'd feel 10 times worse.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I fear Connolly is just a very very fast version of Morais. Very unpredictable and not got much of an end product.

We should know by now Brophy or Erwin up front on their own doesn't work. Obika is the best player for that.

Mason starting ahead of Durmus.

I hope Jim recovers from this quickly and learns from it. Seems to be the same mistake every single time. Tough games coming up now too, pressure could be on him again.

Just as well we weren't at Hampden for that, I'd feel 10 times worse.

Connolly has the unpredictability, plus pace that most defenders in Scotland don’t have. We just don’t try to utilise it in any real way. 

Connolly has the unpredictability, plus pace that most defenders in Scotland don’t have. We just don’t try to utilise it in any real way. 
To be fair every team in the league have switched on to his pace. Drop 15-20 yards deeper and his pace is pretty much useless, like Livi done today.

We are going behind first in every single game we are having to come on to teams which doesn't really suit him.

Tannadice next on Wednesday, oh joy.

31 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair every team in the league have switched on to his pace. Drop 15-20 yards deeper and his pace is pretty much useless, like Livi done today.

We are going behind first in every single game we are having to come on to teams which doesn't really suit him.

Tannadice next on Wednesday, oh joy.

I doubt teams are adjusting their formation for Connolly, I’m more thinking we take so long to move the ball that we can never get him isolated with the fullback.

Lots of people slagging the Connolly/McAllister switch, but Kyle did more in his time on the pitch than Connolly did.

Obviously the issue was more that Mason needed hooking, but the actual substitution itself didn't turn out terribly.

Hard not to wish that Flynn was fit. He and JDH at the base of midfield would make us a totally different prospect, tbh. Assuming we stop playing Mason on the wing and Connolly remembers that he plays football for a living.

Edit: just realised this wasn't the match thread. Ah well.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Lots of people slagging the Connolly/McAllister switch, but Kyle did more in his time on the pitch than Connolly did.

Obviously the issue was more that Mason needed hooking, but the actual substitution itself didn't turn out terribly.

Hard not to wish that Flynn was fit. He and JDH at the base of midfield would make us a totally different prospect, tbh. Assuming we stop playing Mason on the wing and Connolly remembers that he plays football for a living.

Edit: just realised this wasn't the match thread. Ah well.

Still good points though. McAllister was better than Connolly when he game on, though they both blew glorious chances.

The thing that drives me nuts is if we play 2 up, our midfield consists of 2 players on the touch line, a deep lying midfielder and McGrath running around trying to cover the entire middle of the park, if we play 1 up it’s 2 holding midfielders. Teams play through us and we resort to lumping it back to front. This is not a today thing but a reflection of the entire season. Jim owns that.

Edited by Torfason

Disappointing one for you lads today. You had the toughest semi final draw to be fair.

Are there concerns that after the highs of knocking out Aberdeen and rangers and a decent league run up until the end of the year, that the team struggles to bounce back?

I’m not at the wind up here, and obviously it could happen to any of us, but if st mirren don’t pick up a win or two quite quickly I could see them really slide down the table and be in serious trouble, especially the way County are going.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Disappointing one for you lads today. You had the toughest semi final draw to be fair.

Are there concerns that after the highs of knocking out Aberdeen and rangers and a decent league run up until the end of the year, that the team struggles to bounce back?

I’m not at the wind up here, and obviously it could happen to any of us, but if st mirren don’t pick up a win or two quite quickly I could see them really slide down the table and be in serious trouble, especially the way County are going.

No doubt our lack of goals is a huge concern. I can't quite see us collapsing, but Goodwin has GOT to find a functioning system and stick with it, playing players in their correct positions. Sounds simple, really.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

No doubt our lack of goals is a huge concern. I can't quite see us collapsing, but Goodwin has GOT to find a functioning system and stick with it, playing players in their correct positions. Sounds simple, really.

Playing Brophy up front himself doesn’t work.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

St Johnstone are in currently in far more trouble than the Saints,  given our games in hand.

We'll be just fine, providing Jim sorts out his baffling team selections and tactics. 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Definitely. Form has been piss poor last 4 games. Could have even been 2 points worse off, but for a very dodgy penalty and a howler from a goalie. Another shit performance at Tannadice and we will be back in the dogfight. 

On the semi final draw, at the time Hibs were the team to avoid, but that changed and Livi were clearly the form team.

Just now, Killiefan said:

The 1st half totally highlighted that if Goodwin was unaware of this fact. If we dont go to 2 upfront pronto, our season will be over. 

We have a half decent squad,  but if Jim doesn't utilise it soon we will be in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Yeah. Sadly we don't have the midfield to get away with playing a four there. And 3-5-2 is absolute murder.

You're 100% correct, though, and that's become apparent for us in the space of a couple of games.