The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I was watching an interview with Allan Shearer and he discussed how Kenny Dalgleish made such a difference to his career at Blackburn by teaching him a lot of little subtle ways to get the better of defenders.

It surprises me that you have a specific goal keeping coach at clubs, yet the hardest aspect of the game is scoring goals and that largely gets ignored. I think Jim and Lee are doing a great job but I’m not sure what either of them know about coaching a goal scorer.

We had John Hartson in training our strikers and he was shite, apparently he spent 3 weeks dedicated to just taking penalties :D He quit Livi after Hoppy left and he didn't get the job and he felt it was as good as his. 

Mentioned it on Twitter and he blocked me, didn't even @ him so he clearly looks up his own name on Twitter :D 

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

I was watching an interview with Allan Shearer and he discussed how Kenny Dalgleish made such a difference to his career at Blackburn by teaching him a lot of little subtle ways to get the better of defenders.

It surprises me that you have a specific goal keeping coach at clubs, yet the hardest aspect of the game is scoring goals and that largely gets ignored. I think Jim and Lee are doing a great job but I’m not sure what either of them know about coaching a goal scorer.

Yeah, and not even necessarily just coaching players to be a goalscorer but our overall attacking play.

An attacking coach would not only work with getting strikers into better positions and work on finishing but they'd also work extensively with the wide players and attack minded midfielders creating an understanding between midfield and attack, improving pass selection, attacking movement, timing runs etc., all those things that combined over time, improves frequency and quality of chance creation and reduces wastefulness going forward.

I think most of us have identified that is where almost everything falls apart. We get into the final third and sort of look a bit bewildered at times. There should be someone in the club every day who works with our forward players to improve this area.

All of our coaches are or were defenders, defensive mids or goalkeepers. Goodwin, Sharp, Langfield, McManus and Webster. Mendes was an attacker but he's purely a sports scientist/fitness coach.

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We had John Hartson in training our strikers and he was shite, apparently he spent 3 weeks dedicated to just taking penalties :D He quit Livi after Hoppy left and he didn't get the job and he felt it was as good as his. 

Mentioned it on Twitter and he blocked me, didn't even @ him so he clearly looks up his own name on Twitter :D 

I mean we had Darren' fucking' Jackson as assistant manager who by many accounts was a good attacking coach but unfortunately suffered from being an irredeemable c**t.

The last coach we had working with us purely in an attacking sense was James Grady and I'm sure that was around the time of Thompson, Teale, Hasselbaink etc. So there was plenty of talent there at the time.

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think one of the soundest pieces of business St. Mirren could do would be to add a reputable attacking coach. 

We don't have one and someone who is well drilled in attacking movement, link up play and attacking set pieces would be as good as a new signing. We definitely have enough talent there in an attacking sense with Obika, McGrath, Durmus, McAllister and Brophy coming in but we still seem very disjointed going forward at times.

A coach who could implement some ideas and dedicated attacking drills would be a good addition.

Another day and different finances definitely, if we could have kept Kris Boyd ( not the *** one)  in some capacity what a difference it would have made, at the moment we have very few coaching staff 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean we had Darren' fucking' Jackson as assistant manager who by many accounts was a good attacking coach but unfortunately suffered from being an irredeemable c**t.

The last coach we had working with us purely in an attacking sense was James Grady and I'm sure that was around the time of Thompson, Teale, Hasselbaink etc. So there was plenty of talent there at the time.

I wonder if Allan Russell still lives locally?

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Probably not, he's the England National team attacking coach so is probably earning a decent enough crust working part time. ;) 

I was hoping he would be earning enough that he could do some charity work 😛

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Probably the most frustrating player I've seen at St. Mirren since Marc Corcoran.

A touch harsh, at least Morias had a basic understanding of the offside rule.

Not too disappointed at Erwin being swapped for Brophy, as I'm on record as saying I didn't really get what he brought the team, but he has 18 months left on the deal. I'm not sure it's _that_ great a deal for us - especially if Erwin digs in for a payoff.

Morias going doesn't really leave us a striker light if only because he wasn't being played as a striker. If Connolly gets an injury that's when it'll hit. We have Dennis to get a run out and Jamieson waiting for game time.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not too disappointed at Erwin being swapped for Brophy, as I'm on record as saying I didn't really get what he brought the team, but he has 18 months left on the deal. I'm not sure it's _that_ great a deal for us - especially if Erwin digs in for a payoff.

Morias going doesn't really leave us a striker light if only because he wasn't being played as a striker. If Connolly gets an injury that's when it'll hit. We have Dennis to get a run out and Jamieson waiting for game time.

I wouldn't imagine he'd dig in for a payoff, we aren't cancelling his contract or anything, it would be a straight transfer deal.

Might be worth his while too, he'll be getting at least similar at Kilmarnock as he's getting with us and will possibly get an extra year out of it into the bargain.

4 hours ago, Killiefan said:

Brophy is a player who is crying out to be coached, makes poor choices in games and his head goes down very quickly but in saying that I think there is a player there. By all accounts fell out with one of the management team which could be a reason for lack of game time. Great memories of his goals against the hvns but can’t say I’m overly bothered about him leaving more bothered about my own teams lack of forward planning.

If Steve Clarke couldn't coach that out of him I'm not sure anyone else will be able to.

8 hours ago, Ric said:

To quote KillieFC.com "There is no swap deal, not for Erwin, not for anybody"

The admin on Killie Kickback, they know the score behind the scenes at RP.

I thought Brophy was always slightly over rated from what I seen. Was a bit baffled when Clarke gave him a Scotland cap, the injury record is a bit concerning and the scoring record isn't mind blowing but having said all that, on paper it is an upgrade on what we already have and if he can get his mojo back we will have a very good Premiership striker on our hands.

Always felt we should have had someone in working with the strikers. If you look back over the last 15 years our managers were hardly the most attack minded of players during their careers. I guess part of the issue is Goodwin finding someone he is comfortable with and isn't worried will be trying to nick his job.

Would Thompson do it? He doesn't seem to have any interest in being a manager, is local and I think is pals with Goodwin. He would only be needed a few days during the week so would be free to carry on his media duties.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Would Thompson do it? He doesn't seem to have any interest in being a manager, is local and I think is pals with Goodwin. He would only be needed a few days during the week so would be free to carry on his media duties.

I've always liked this idea, but, legend as he is for us, he's also a bit of a clown. I strongly suspect he has absolutely zero desire to gets his hands dirty with coaching.

I'm sure there must be plenty of other potential candidates out there and, I agree, a couple days a week is all it'd require, surely.

45 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've always liked this idea, but, legend as he is for us, he's also a bit of a clown. I strongly suspect he has absolutely zero desire to gets his hands dirty with coaching.

I'm sure there must be plenty of other potential candidates out there and, I agree, a couple days a week is all it'd require, surely.

Aye true, we don't want our strikers getting skewered.