The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, ki11ie said:

From what we have heard that’s what he’s going to be on

Possibly for 2 weeks wages. 

Also, were you calling Brophy a bottom half Premiership forward when you finished 3rd, with him finishing top goalscorer for yous ?

Edited by Munoz

3K a month, more like!

As for Reilly, I don't think anyone would have a bad word to say about the lad. Considering we wanted him to extend his deal when we were promoted it shows that we felt he could cut it in the top league. Now, perhaps he's had his injuries but aside from the 17/18 season I don't think he's scored more than a handful of goals. In fact it's probably fair to say our season was the blip in his career and even then although he was definitely a key player he scored less than Lewis Morgan, who was out on the wing and (I think) about the same as Cammy Smith who was in midfield.

That said, Martindale seems to have a chub for the lad so maybe he's got a plan. Plus Livi (and you can insert just about any team in here) score more goals that we do, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall and on paper, he's certainly not a bad signing.

Edited by Ric

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can you expand on that at all? Like, what the other reasons might be? That remains my only nagging doubt is that, given it's fair to say we're operating on about the same level this season, why he hasn't been an automatic starter and why he's not scored many when he has played.

He's had niggly injuries and a red card on a few occasions just when he's looked to get into his stride. Tbh....  I've had my doubts about him wanting to be at Killie for about the last 12 months, his body language especially just prior to xmas was appalling. 

If St Mirren can keep him happy then he'll do a job for them.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

3K a month, more like!

As for Reilly, I don't think anyone would have a bad word to say about the lad. Considering we wanted him to extend his deal when we were promoted it shows that we felt he could cut it in the top league. Now, perhaps he's had his injuries but aside from the 17/18 season I don't think he's scored more than a handful of goals. In fact it's probably fair to say our season was the blip in his career and even then although he was definitely a key player he scored less than Lewis Morgan, who was out on the wing and (I think) about the same as Cammy Smith who was in midfield.

That said, Martindale seems to have a chub for the lad so maybe he's got a plan. Plus Livi (and you can insert just about any team in here) score more goals that we do, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall and on paper, he's certainly not a bad signing.

As I said in the Livvy thread, he had an excellent first half of that season scoring 19 goals before the end of 2017 but 10 of those goals were against the likes of LTHV and Hearts Colts. He only scored 3 goals after the new year and only 1 of those was after January.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

As I said in the Livvy thread, he had an excellent first half of that season scoring 19 goals before the end of 2017 but 10 of those goals were against the likes of LTHV and Hearts Colts. He only scored 3 goals after the new year and only 1 of those was after January.

Yeah, he grabbed a brace in the cups iirc, I should have said I was  meaning league goals in my post.

Reilly had also lost his place to Danny Mullen by the end of January that season and was mostly just coming off the bench.

I really liked him though, he really suited the way we played the first half of the season, and him, Morgan and Smith were a very exciting front line. If I remember correctly he was considered a bit of a booby prize when we missed out on Rory Loy, but then had an absolutely magnificent league debut against Loy's Falkirk, a team that seriously fancied themselves as a champions elect at the time.

He's probably one of those guys who does really well when he's got a manager who believes in him and is confident, so can see him doing very well indeed at Livi. However, even if he breaks all goal scoring records next season Dunfermline fans will still insist he's shite.

2 hours ago, ki11ie said:

As a killie fan I’m not overly bothered losing Brophy. Very average when you take away penalty goals and his only spell when he was very good was when Greg Stewart was putting the ball on a plate for him. 
Works hard for the team when he can be arsed, will try shooting from 30yards every single time he gets the balls, niggling injuries also.

He’s a bottom half spl Striker in my opinion. 
rumours of 3k a week on a 3 year deal is absolutely ludicrous if true

3K a week that’s a belter 🤣

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Sounds like we've signed him as a like for like replacement for Dykes which excites me.

You've already got that in Jack Hamilton...

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've already got that in Jack Hamilton...

Oh absolutely. Think we want him to get the rest of the season under his belt banging goals in as an experience. Next season I imagine he'll be starting for us if he keeps developing as he is

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

😂 Sorry mate, I missed that. Apologies.

I know this much: a club that plays with one up front doesn't need four out-and-out strikers, plus Morias. Ah well, we're investing in the squad and planning ahead. I'm not complaining.

This is my thought, exactly. Though I'm not confident we're 'planning ahead'. We're in the midst of a global pandemic and about to become fan-owned. Can we afford the wage bill? Are our season ticket holders likely to renew, given that there's no end in sight to these lockdowns? With a new strain of the virus there's no guarantee the vaccine will work?

Edited by Ralstonite

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Accounts published to May 31st today. A few decent takeaways from them. 

We've turned a profit of £130k for the year despite being closed from March. 4th year in a row the club had been profitable. 

Turnover was only down £50k vs the previous year. Again, this would have presumably been up if the season wasn't cut short. 

Wage bill was trimmed by £400k vs the previous year. £4.1m from £4.5m. Probably cos we're only paying one manager now. 

Club had £1.4m in bank at close of the year on May 31st. 

Took in £370k in transfer fees, mainly between Lewis Morgan sell on and Paul McGinn

Kyle Magennis transfer fee wasn't included in the accounts for the year as it happened outwith the FY but was noted as a significant occurrence. £200k was the transfer fee received. 

Not bad for a club that the Jambos had insisted were on the cusp of dying in the summer. 

Does that wage bill include non-football staff as well?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

We've turned a profit of £130k for the year despite being closed from March. 4th year in a row the club had been profitable. 

Turnover was only down £50k vs the previous year. Again, this would have presumably been up if the season wasn't cut short. 

Wage bill was trimmed by £400k vs the previous year. £4.1m from £4.5m. Probably cos we're only paying one manager now. 

Took in £370k in transfer fees, mainly between Lewis Morgan sell on and Paul McGinn

Kyle Magennis transfer fee wasn't included in the accounts for the year as it happened outwith the FY but was noted as a significant occurrence. £200k was the transfer fee received. 

Not bad for a club that the Jambos had insisted were on the cusp of dying in the summer. 

That renders my last post redundant. Excellent news, however I still think financial prudence is the name of the game, given the economic uncertainty we're all facing.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're a shambles of a club at times in terms of statements and ham fistedness but the most important thing, the one that trumps everything else is that we remain financially prudent and very, very well run. 

John McGinn surely?

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. It's the set of published accounts so will be the clubs entire wage bill. 

Interesting. I wonder what the split is between the playing staff and the rest of the club employees.

Just now, G51 said:

Interesting. I wonder what the split is between the playing staff and the rest of the club employees.

I believe the average wage of playing staff was about £48k per year in the last study of SPFL clubs but dunno if that includes bonus payments, signing on fees etc. 

Out of interest, would a big money move for (John) McGinn bring us in any cash?

Not that I think it'll happen in this window, but it might in the summer if he continues to play well and Villa drop down the table.