The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, Munoz said:

You've got to laugh at the Tayside wee teams , suggesting that "Brophy is shite". 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brophy is a bang average top fight striker

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

he's a top flight quality striker

Considering St Mirren are, in general, a below average Premiership side...

Maybe if you learned to read you wouldn't be a holocaust denying, homophobic, middle aged man, who lives in his mums living room.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you'll play him really.

As I say, he's a top flight quality striker so easy to see why you've gone for him. If you've genuinely outbid Aberdeen/Hibs for him though, then its potentially not that great a deal.

One of those you'll have to judge at the end of next season, as it could go either way. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for a striker who'll get much more than 5/6 goals in your side (put money on him bagging 20 now I've said this).

I mean, that's completely subjective and a fair bit of spin by the press I'd say.

I dare say that we are in the market for a first choice striker and Brophy is that guy so we've offered him a wage to suit.

Aberdeen and Hibs, if they really wanted to, could and would outbid us. But they respectively have Cosgrove and Nisbett as first choices so they'd quite likely and justifiably feel in these times that a chunk of wage on what would be a squad player for them, isn't worth the outlay.

Under normal circumstances, one of those clubs would hoover him up just because they could.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, that's completely subjective and a fair bit of spin by the press I'd say.

I dare say that we are in the market for a first choice striker and Brophy is that guy so we've offered him a wage to suit.

Aberdeen and Hibs, if they really wanted to, could and would outbid us. But they respectively have Cosgrove and Nisbett as first choices so they'd quite likely and justifiably feel in these times that a chunk of wage on what would be a squad player for them, isn't worth the outlay.

Under normal circumstances, one of those clubs would hoover him up just because they could.

That's a fair point tbh.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The offer has been on the table since last week. He's only signed on til the end of this season so I think we've been wanting him tied down from pretty early on. 

Bloody hell, yes. I read it as if we'd put a renewed, different offer on the table. 🤦‍♂️

As others have said, you'd hope the pandemic might play into our favour slightly with players who might be unsure what position they'll be in next summer. Probably applies to Connolly more than JDH, I'd say - the latter will easily get a gig.

I think Brophy is overrated, but a decent signing. Is he an international level striker? Nope. Is he a decent mid-table to lower half Premiership striker? Yes, I'd say so. He's a definitie upgrade on Erwin, Dennis and Morais.

If he's capable of a dozen goals a season I'll take that right now.

I would#nt be surprised if Doyle-Hayes signed on elsewhere. The one we can't afford to lose is Connolly. His pace is a game changer. 

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, and it's amazing how difficult some people are finding this to understand. Aberdeen and Hibs will be paying individuals treble the amount we are paying our best players. Even if Brophy is our highest paid player, it'll be £80-120k p/a.

When was the last time we signed a striker with anything like a track record at this level? Thommo? And he obviously had reasons for joining.

We have to bear in mind that, if we continue on this trajectory, it won't just be our players that bigger clubs are looking at. Whether this pans out or not remains to be seen, but as a show of intent, and as a gesture of support for Goodwin, this is an exciting move.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Sums up the situation perfectly as I see it.

I don't mean this in anyway disrespectfully but I am not phased in any way by where he chosen to go and wish him and Saints all the best (obviously apart from against us).

There is nothing other than speculation from the media that we were even interested in him but that'll not stop some of the twenty four carot nuggets on a down market AFC site from having a go at the club for being outbid by St Mirren

4 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

There is nothing other than speculation from the media that we were even interested in him but that'll not stop some of the twenty four carot nuggets on a down market AFC site from having a go at the club for being outbid by St Mirren

Agents using the media in this way is usually something that works 'up' the chain, but there's no reason whatsoever why his agent might not have chucked you, Hibs and 'England' in at the last stage of negotiations to squeeze a couple extra hundred quid out of us.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agents using the media in this way is usually something that works 'up' the chain, but there's no reason whatsoever why his agent might not have chucked you, Hibs and 'England' in at the last stage of negotiations to squeeze a couple extra hundred quid out of us.

Highly likely C.S 

b*****ds these agents, aren't they 😉

Edited by Sheep62

With regard to Nisbett and Cosgrove. For the latter, I'd be surprised to see him at Aberdeen next year. McInnes seemed desperate to offload Cosgrove in the summer, whether that was because he wanted the money or that he simply felt he'd peaked who knows. The Guincamp deal was dingied by Cosgrove himself, not the club so its clear the intent there. He'll be coming into his last year of his contract and I'm sure Aberdeen will look to maximise the money they can get. Especially considering he's hardly setting the heather alight now. When Curtis Main is being picked before you, you know your jacket is on a shoogly peg.

Nistbett is a different story in that he's still under contract and seemingly still improving, that brings the opposite problem, not wanting him to go but others keen to have him. In the same way the lower half of the premiership might look to the Irish leagues as a way to get players in that doesn't involve (shitty, tory, anti-Scottish) Brexit red tape the English clubs will no doubt have one eye on Scottish players. Even though he's only just joined, would Hibs turn down a 7 figure fee for the lad? Not sure to be honest. Maybe in "the before times", however the pandemic hasn't made anyone richer.

So, while that is all utter conjecture and doesn't correlate to Brophy being a first choice striker at either Hibs or Aberdeen, it's maybe not entirely certain their first choice strikers are going to be there next season and Brophy was, to all intents and purposes, going to cost the club he moves to absolutely nothing (there could be a signing on fee, of course, if such things still exist).

Edited by Ric

Something else to bear in mind is that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes with the likes of Obika. He might have privately made it clear he's not signing an extension; perhaps we've not even asked him to. Maybe he wants to head back down to England.

Edited by Coventry Saint

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Something else to bear in mind is that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes with the likes of Obika. He might have privately made it clear he's not signing an extension; perhaps we've not even asked him to. Maybe he wants to head back down to England.

No harm to any of our strikers but Goodwin did say if they did not start scoring then they would be replaced.  So I expect more than one striker to be shown the door come the end of the season. 

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Oh, yeah, you just do that, you recycle the same point I made earlier in the thread.

Clearly that's how you managed to earn best St Mirren poster award! <_<

Spoiler

:P

btw, I'm on record as wanting Obika to sign an extension. I believe he brings more to the team than Erwin does.

Edited by Ric