The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't have a clue how the clubs protocols work but I'd imagine players wouldn't be allowed to mingle with each other when its avoidable. I have heard some if not all are washing their own kits, bringing in their own food ect.

I do wonder how many youth players Killie have though and if they have been training with the first team.

But they can cuddle when they touch each other when a goal is scored in our case not often  :)Anyway not much we can do its history for us. 

What the actual f**k are the club playing at with this Magennis transfer. They put out a tweet saying that they’ve rejected two bids from Hibs and state that he’s not for sale, now we find out he’s having a medical.

Shambles, they can f**k off with this one it’s a step too far for me.

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I can't remember what sort of role he plays

Nor can any of our managers. Everyone says he's best down the middle, but manager after manager has pushed him out wide. That's almost certainly where he was going to end up playing for us when he got fit again. I have to say, I'm not sure he's going to worry your first team at the moment, so I assume he's been bought with one eye on next season. I'd also (personally) pick Mallan ahead of him, if that helps. Others may disagree.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Nor can any of our managers. Everyone says he's best down the middle, but manager after manager has pushed him out wide. That's almost certainly where he was going to end up playing for us when he got fit again. I have to say, I'm not sure he's going to worry your first team at the moment, so I assume he's been bought with one eye on next season. I'd also (personally) pick Mallan ahead of him, if that helps. Others may disagree.

Cool, thanks pal. I'm essentially trying to work out if he'd be competing with Allan/Mallan for that playmaker/number 10 role which it sounds like he would. Might give a hint about some of the rumours re Allan the last few days as we need a box to box player a lot more if Allan is gonna keep playing

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Mallan is a better player than Magennis, no question about it.

28 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

What sort of midfielder is Magennis exactly? Seems to be a bit of a blindspot for me as I've seen him often enough but while I remember him being impressive I can't remember what sort of role he plays

He's got a brilliant engine. He's decent out wide but I think he's best in the middle as a box to box midfielder winning the ball and driving forward. 

37 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
45 minutes ago, houston_bud said:
I'm disappointed Magennis has gone as he's probably our best midfielder. That said we've got Foley, also Macpherson and Erhahon who are both good and getting better, McGrath has looked good at times this year too and we've got Flynn to come back. That's 5 players who can play centre mid and we've got Durmus, McAllister, Connolly who can all play out wide. 
Maybe we can use some of the money to bring in another defender as that's where we're really light on numbers. 

Unfortunately wide right has been one of our many problem positions with players being off form. Having Magennis back could have solved that issue.

Fair point. I reckon Connolly will soon be our mainstay winger with AN Other coming in on the other side. 

If Hibs have made a decent offer, give the current circumstances, and the player has less than a year of his contract left then it’s really a no brainer.

Magennis is a decent player. However, at just 22, he’s probably spent more time out injured as he has playing football.

Decent enough signing for the Hibees, but I wouldn’t put him in the class of a McGinn, McLean, Mallan or Morgan.

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

If Hibs have made a decent offer, give the current circumstances, and the player has less than a year of his contract left then it’s really a no brainer.

Magennis is a decent player. However, at just 22, he’s probably spent more time out injured as he has playing football.

Decent enough signing for the Hibees, but I wouldn’t put him in the class of a McGinn, McLean, Mallan or Morgan.

There is no way they have offered £200,000. We will get around that for developing him at the end of the season. So what's the point of letting one of our best players leave when we can have him till the end of the season. Kyle is well underrated by many Saints fans.  When fit he is a right good player something Jack Ross also recognises obviously.  

35 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Cool, thanks pal. I'm essentially trying to work out if he'd be competing with Allan/Mallan for that playmaker/number 10 role which it sounds like he would. Might give a hint about some of the rumours re Allan the last few days as we need a box to box player a lot more if Allan is gonna keep playing

Is Mallan actually getting a game these days? 

17 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I would agree with that, we'd only be delaying the inevitable if Magennis were to stay passed this transfer window. He is a good player but we have lost better in recent times, he will go on to have a very good career and i hope he can avoid anymore serious injuries. He would definitely make a difference to the midfield currently however if they can get the finger out we should be able to cope as we did January - March. I can't believe the transfer has come as a surprise to anyone given the club statement earlier in the week. Magennis' head would've been turned undoubtedly in any case. 

Thankfully we are avoiding a Kenny McLean saga of letting a player go with hours to go in the window. Hopefully Goodwin can prioritise getting some defensive cover over the next few days and anything else would be a bonus.  

I will say this: my early season optimism has been flushed right down the shitter now. I'm honestly not even sure Magennis was making that much of a difference this season: it's just the way we seem to be going about things feels a bit off.

How are we even vaguely getting the players up for this tonight? The f**k does Jim's teamtalk sound like now? We're going to get completely rolled over. 

40 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Would totally agree, I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he's missed a huge number of games in the last few seasons.

Club have not exactly come out of this well, after their pish about rejecting bids, he's not for sale, etc.

For a player in his last season, can't complain if we get a few bob in, and a defender out of it.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I will say this: my early season optimism has been flushed right down the shitter now. I'm honestly not even sure Magennis was making that much of a difference this season: it's just the way we seem to be going about things feels a bit off.

How are we even vaguely getting the players up for this tonight? The f**k does Jim's teamtalk sound like now? We're going to get completely rolled over. 

Early season optimism seems a distant past. If you're feeling negative, best price I could find was 1/2 for Aberdeen.

4 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

Early season optimism seems a distant past. If you're feeling negative, best price I could find was 1/2 for Aberdeen.

I got 11/10 if I added on BTTS: No. Mind, last time I did that we took the lead against Celtic inside a few minutes. Definitely pay no attention to my bets!

Might be in the minority here but I still think Kyle has to prove himself at Premiership level. Flattered to deceive a lot of the time last season and was at the heart of a struggling team. I think if he'd kicked on as the hype around him suggested he would then we wouldn't have been so poor so often in 19/20.

McGinn and McLean were standouts week in week out when they left. Magennis? If we get a decent fee and sell on then fair enough and move on.

Shocking stuff that we won't even fill our bench with young lads. Even in the first games of the season we named both goalies as subs and we're not doing even that now! 

Is 4 subs a statement by Goodwin that he wants players in?! 

Shocking stuff that we won't even fill our bench with young lads. Even in the first games of the season we named both goalies as subs and we're not doing even that now! 
Is 4 subs a statement by Goodwin that he wants players in?! 
Normally is a statement from any manager by doing that.

Probably not happy about Magennis too. Hes been mugged off by the look of it.

Not the best time to have a pop at the board though, if that's what he is doing.