The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

40 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

McPherson is not just better he is massively better than Sheron. As for yesterday's performance I'm putting that down to the massive disruption 24 hours before the game. It should not have gone ahead. 

It’s interesting that Cammy started the season when we hit some ‘form’. Out the team and, well, we’re out of form.

He’s not the be all and end all, but definitely our best set piece taker and I’d have him, Foley and Ethan as the three on Wednesday.

The clubs would have known this was a possibility before they agreed to start the season. As long as you have enough players available then you'll be expected to play. Aberdeen were being expected to play without eight first team players before the Scottish Government stuck their oar in to make a point.
Well a precedent has been set. We'll see if it happens to anyone else in the league and if the same rules are applied to them.

We'll take the hit for a week, hopefully clown shoes in goal won't cost us too much.

The issues* were there for everyone to see on Saturday, but I'm going to go full happy clapper and point out some positives:

1) Ethan was very good. Way better than we had any right to expect. Not everything came off for him, which is understandable, but he was always looking to play forward passes. When there was movement in front of him, he was doing an ok job of finding it. The absolute madness of playing a guy in his preferred position. I think we've got a real talent there and I hope we can somehow still offer him enough minutes when the squad is at full strength (also applies to point 2).

2) MacPherson has lost his place in the first XI, for whatever reason. All you can ask of him is that he works hard and shows that he needs to be included. He did that on Saturday. Coming on at 3-0 down, late in the game, is far from ideal, but he instantly improved the way we were moving the ball around, and he certainly wasn't hiding.

3) Dennis looked rusty and, I assume, picked up a knock, but some of his movement was promising. We won't play 4-4-2 all the time - and certainly won't be on Wednesday - but it has potential.

4) We should have had a penalty, and the third goal should have been chalked off. I'm not saying we get anything from the game if we get those decisions, but 2-1 in the circumstances is a LOT better than 3-0. 

5) This might be the Pro Evo player in me, but I liked the look of Connolly. He's probably a bit of a one-trick pony - head down, kick 'n chase, whipped balls in - but once strikers learn what he's trying to do, he could get a few assists this season. And my god, we need to get balls into the box like I can't describe.

6) I still like Morias as an option from the bench. He's such a unit: much bigger players just bounce off him. He will be our most-used sub this season.

7) I liked the look of Erwin. I'm hoping he turns out to be like a good Cody Cooke.

Spoiler

* Squad depth in defence, Sheron, Durmus has gone missing, McAllister looks lazy and ineffective, we struggle to create chances. McGrath had a very quiet game, too, and I think he could be making way when Flynn gets back.

16 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm putting that down to the massive disruption 24 hours before the game. It should not have gone ahead. 

You can write this as much as you like it doesn't make it so. Let's not forget, everyone was clamouring for Aberdeen to either play - 8 men down - or forfeit the game. 

You lost a couple of keepers and suddenly 'the game shouldn't go ahead!'. 

18 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I think there is more important pressing matters.  Why was yesterday's game played. There was no training on Friday. We were informed on FRIDAY NIGHT to play an outfield player the game is being played. This is beyond belief.  Next Goodwin needs to drop Sheron immediately.  

I am under the impression that we have adopted the UEFA rule where so long as a team has 14 fit players any game must be played.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

You can write this as much as you like it doesn't make it so. Let's not forget, everyone was clamouring for Aberdeen to either play - 8 men down - or forfeit the game. 

Let's get something straight we lost every goalkeeper at the club. Next we were told on ( Friday night to use an outfield player in goal ). The rules have been set in stone now . 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Let's get something straight we lost every goalkeeper at the club. Next we were told on ( Friday night to use an outfield player in goal ). The rules have been set in stone now . 

Yup, so if you realise that those are now the rules why do you insist on writing "it shouldn't have gone ahead" every single post? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yup, so if you realise that those are now the rules why do you insist on writing "it shouldn't have gone ahead" every single post? 

Players were told to stay away from the club on Friday. Let me ask you why that would be and what it leans to ? 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yeah, you've spun that. We lost ALL out keepers, not just a couple, and people were "clamouring" for Aberdeen to play the game 8 men down because those who were infected were due to the stupid actions of those players. What's more of those players, all of them were outfield players that Aberdeen had cover for and certainly not all of them would have been playing anyway. As for forfeiting, the only people suggesting that were St Johnstone fans or those indulging in schadenfreude.

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Players were told to stay away from the club on Friday. Let me ask you why that would be and what it leans to ? 

I've no idea. Who told them to stay away from the club? 

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, you've spun that. We lost ALL out keepers, not just a couple, and people were "clamouring" for Aberdeen to play the game 8 men down because those who were infected were due to the stupid actions of those players. What's more of those players, all of them were outfield players that Aberdeen had cover for and certainly not all of them would have been playing anyway. As for forfeiting, the only people suggesting that were St Johnstone fans or those indulging in schadenfreude.

You lost 3, as opposed to 2? One of which has never played a professional game I'm assuming? Aberdeen lost 8 players due to a virus going around infecting folk. Exact same as St Mirren did. In fact, I'd be more worried about it at St Mirren considering its actually transferring around the club rather than - as you say - players catching it whilst out at pubs and clubs. Oh, it doesn't matter how many you lose as long as you've got cover? Got ya. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

You lost 3, as opposed to 2? One of which has never played a professional game I'm assuming? Aberdeen lost 8 players due to a virus going around infecting folk. Exact same as St Mirren did. In fact, I'd be more worried about it at St Mirren considering its actually transferring around the club rather than - as you say - players catching it whilst out at pubs and clubs. Oh, it doesn't matter how many you lose as long as you've got cover? Got ya. 

We lost ALL, that is a very important factor here. We were more than happy to play Urminsky, who as you rightly suggest hadn't played a first team game before, but despite him testing negative we were told that wouldn't be possible. You are incorrect about it "actually transferring around the club", it was literally two players who train closely together, there are no other cases. Albeit in the current situation with the West of Scotland I'm obviously careful pointing out as that could change (for any number of reasons and pretty much at any club).

Stop trying to equate groups of players attending a town centre bar against club regulations to this situation, also you are being somewhat obtuse regarding the difference between and outfield player and a goalkeeper. Mind you, I will forgive you on that last charge, if only because you have had to suffer Jack Hamilton in goal for far longer than you deserve and I can understand why you'd feel an outfield player would do just as well!

1 minute ago, Ric said:

We lost ALL, that is a very important factor here. We were more than happy to play Urminsky, who as you rightly suggest hadn't played a first team game before, but despite him testing negative we were told that wouldn't be possible. You are incorrect about it "actually transferring around the club", it was literally two players who train closely together, there are no other cases. 

Does Urminsky train with the other two? 

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

While Commons comes across as a more "even handed" ex OF player, this is still just pointless journo "you have a connection to the Old Firm, we think your opinion on any subject is more important than anyone else's, even if you have limited knowledge on it".

1 minute ago, Ric said:

While Commons comes across as a more "even handed" ex OF player, this is still just pointless journo "you have a connection to the Old Firm, we think your opinion on any subject is more important than anyone else's, even if you have limited knowledge on it".

He is correct though. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Does Urminsky train with the other two? 

I mean I presume so, I can see why we weren't allowed to, even though he had turned in a negative test (presumably two negatives to be exact).

I should point out that we're not the only team that has suffered with that, Hamilton had to go without Lee Hodson because him and Alnwick share a house but Hodson had also tested negative.