The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

17 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

He was still arguing his case earlier today! emoji23.png

After the Stubbs debacle OK was appointed manager and MacPherson as Technical Director because in the Chairman's word "we have learned lessons" and GM would provide a "constant presence" - it didn't work after OK left, signings stalled, and the better quality players  arriving on longer contracts didn't happen till 5 weeks after Goodwin was appointed - and as I see it changed  policy.

But he will now work with Oran Kearney, who replaced the sacked Alan Stubbs as the Scottish Premiership club's manager this month.

Chairman Gordon Scott said the new structure was introduced because "we have learned lessons" in recent months.

"We want to have someone within the football department who will be a constant presence," he told his club website.

"The board have a vision of how they want the club to develop. At present, we have a plan but not the manpower to define and execute it.

"Gus is someone I worked with closely when I was on the board previously and he has the experience and knowledge we are looking for in the newly created role."

I'm as happy as any Saints fan with the signings in the last month but GM didn't provide the continuity he was appointed to do and rewriting recent events as being part of the masterplan is ridiculous. emoji23.png

Edited by btb

10 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Desperately hope Junior has a great career with us, but that showreel doesn't fill me with huge amounts of confidence.

I know Scottish football isn't great, but to do well in out top flight, I'd be expecting someone to look better playing against League Two (and lower) opposition.

Maybe just needs better players around him 🙂

My understanding he has been in for a few days for Goodwin to asses him before he was offered a deal. There was a photo of him on Facebook a few days ago with him wearing  Saints training gear.. In Jim we trust. 

10 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

My understanding he has been in for a few days for Goodwin to asses him before he was offered a deal. There was a photo of him on Facebook a few days ago with him wearing  Saints training gear.. In Jim we trust. 

That will do for me, tbf.

Look at all these players we've already got signed up for the league cup group stage next season 😲

I'm as happy as any Saints fan with the signings in the last month but GM didn't provide the continuity he was appointed to do and rewriting recent events as being part of the masterplan is ridiculous. [emoji23]

And the only person who has translated “continual presence’ to mean ‘sign half a squad of players before the start of the League Cup fixtures’ is you!

To use your own word......ridiculous! [emoji23]

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

This is a wind-up, right?

No, not at all.

You expect an 'on fire' reel to show a player at their absolute best.

In the first couple of minutes this shows a shot that goes wide, and a tame shot straight at the goalkeeper.  And this in the sixth tier of English football.

I just don't understand why that would be on his CV?

If there's better stuff later, then whoever did this for him didn't do him any favours.

Doing a 'knee slide' to 10 guys at the back of the goals just isn't a great look for someone we're hoping will be able to perform at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Tynecastle etc.

Edited to add: watched the rest of the reel now, and there are much more promising glimpses there - a couple against Carlisle too and they're 4th tier.  Also, from what I've seen so far JG has made excellent signings, and hopefully Junior is an undiscovered gem.

image.png.9186e97bc0eeb7478c5ce5ec02751b3c.png

Edited by Bobby_F

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

And the only person who has translated “continual presence’ to mean ‘sign half a squad of players before the start of the League Cup fixtures’ is you!

To use your own word......ridiculous! emoji23.png

Not like you to exaggerate C'apn...:rolleyes:

I maintain my opinion that JGs arrival resulted in a change in signing policy and that there was no masterplan...

Edited by btb

14 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

No, not at all.

In the first couple of minutes this shows a shot that goes wide, and a tame shot straight at the goalkeeper.  And this in the sixth tier of English football.

If there's better stuff later, then whoever did this for him didn't do him any favours.

Doing a 'knee slide' to 10 guys at the back of the goals just isn't a great look for someone we're hoping will be able to perform at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Tynecastle etc.

Edited to add: watched the rest of the reel now, and there are much more promising glimpses there - a couple against Carlisle too and they're 4th tier.  Also, from what I've seen so far JG has made excellent signings, and hopefully Junior is an undiscovered gem.

Bobby you should go to Twitter Northampton Town their fans are very unhappy they have let him go. 

10 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Bobby you should go to Twitter Northampton Town their fans are very unhappy they have let him go. 

I did see some things on them being unhappy. Which is usually a very good sign.

I guess my problem is with the bloke who edited that reel 😀

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I did see some things on them being unhappy. Which is usually a very good sign.

I guess my problem is with the bloke who edited that reel 😀

Some of those Northampton fans come across as morons to be fair. "20 goals a season up there", etc, etc. 

On 18/08/2019 at 09:34, Malky3 said:

Not for me it's not. BAWA is like a nursery playground compared to here. Bazil v BuddieInEK infact Bazil v everyone on BAWA is the absolute example of how to drive members away. 

I'm enjoying this thread though, and the recent contribution of JC. All too often on the internet a tit bit from a club source grows arms and legs and its good to see the veracity being questioned. 

On 18/08/2019 at 21:12, DumbartonBud said:

I’ve got fed up with BAWA mainly because of Baz, he has almost become a parody of himself, and has very much sucked the life out of any kind of discussion. 

I guess these things go in cycles eventually he will get bored and proper discussion and debate can return. 

The cheek! Any more of it I'll come on here more... 

6 hours ago, btb said:

After the Stubbs debacle OK was appointed manager and MacPherson as Technical Director because in the Chairman's word "we have learned lessons" and GM would provide a "constant presence" - it didn't work after OK left, signings stalled, and the better quality players  arriving on longer contracts didn't happen till 5 weeks after Goodwin was appointed - and as I see it changed  policy.

I'm as happy as any Saints fan with the signings in the last month but GM didn't provide the continuity he was appointed to do and rewriting recent events as being part of the masterplan is ridiculous. emoji23.png

Hmmm wonder how happy Goody would have been if he arrived and Gus had blown the budget. I'm really impressed by the signings we made and think they are well worth the wait. I think also if I was signing for Saints, I might delay until I know what is happening with managers.

If you think that GM did nothing about sounding out players while OK was dicking about then you might be right you might not. I'm not really sure how things could have been speeded up much or example we were definately chasing Kyle before Goody came in but had to wait until things at Derby cleared. Similar with Foley. We put a lot of effort into getting Popescu and Muzak neither of which turned out the way we hoped.

2 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Hmmm wonder how happy Goody would have been if he arrived and Gus had blown the budget. I'm really impressed by the signings we made and think they are well worth the wait. I think also if I was signing for Saints, I might delay until I know what is happening with managers.

If you think that GM did nothing about sounding out players while OK was dicking about then you might be right you might not. I'm not really sure how things could have been speeded up much or example we were definately chasing Kyle before Goody came in but had to wait until things at Derby cleared. Similar with Foley. We put a lot of effort into getting Popescu and Muzak neither of which turned out the way we hoped.

Yep I'd agree with all of this. Despite everyones fears it looks like St Mirren have had a rather good transfer window and the starting eleven at least looks far more competitive for the league we're in. 

What really encouraged me though was reading the twitter feed after the Q&A session where Jim Goodwin said that the club now needed to focus on becoming far more organised in the way the recruitment is done with the planning starting now for January and for the start of next season and getting more eyes on players. Staying up should still be the priority this year, but if the club can get a bit of stability now and they are open to using the resources that are around them then it might just be that the board of directors will start to look like they know what they are doing. 

I'd still like to see the ticket operation change sooner rather than later. Surely the club can move to paperless technology on that soon. But yeah I feel far more optimistic that people at the club might actually know what they are doing after all. 

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

The window hasn't closed yet. 

Indeed although I think we can forget about Muzak. I'm not saying Gus is behind all the deals but to suggest it has nothing to do with him is nonsense. We went through similar shite with Danny Lennon, where the likes of Teale, Goodwin, Dummet, Tess, Hassleblank, Cairey, McGowan etc were seen as "not Lennon signings," and the likes of Imrie, Harkin, etc were for some reason.

5 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

No, not at all.

The point is that its equally daft to be unduly critical as it is to shoot your load over a compilation of clips on youtube.

I certainly wouldn't be judging how any player is likely to perform here based on a few minutes of cobbled together video footage.

My guess is that Gus had identified a certain type of player who would fit into Oran's style of play.

Goody then came in and wanted a different type of player, one who was more suited to the pacey counter attacking style we are likely to play this season.

Because of that, we've ended up a few weeks behind in our recruitment.

We are right up to date now though. Hopefully we won't have a change in manager and style next summer!