The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Ilkay Durmus is a footballer? I thought it was a skin infection. 

Welcome to the club. I'm hoping he's a new Iain Scanlon

I don't think he has a beard, and not sure how good he is at penalties.

I would say, judging on European results, the Austrian league is probably a higher standard than ours, so that bodes well. A bit more hopeful now! Welcome to the club Ilkay.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Say what you want about Rod Stewart but that song is a stone cold classic and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

I'm with you on that mate. I fully expect this tune to be blaring out when the big man bags his first goal in Paisley.

21 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I don't think he has a beard, and not sure how good he is at penalties.

I would say, judging on European results, the Austrian league is probably a higher standard than ours, so that bodes well. A bit more hopeful now! Welcome to the club Ilkay.

Based on performances in the League Cup and the fact that Oran Kearney was desperate to leave to go part time in Northern Ireland, I think probably any player from the Millport 5-a-side leagues would probably be from a higher standard. Hopefully he's better than what we've got. I've not been impressed with the bearded imposter posing as a left winger in our last few games. 

I've not been impressed with the bearded imposter posing as a left winger in our last few games. 

Maybe if he gets to play in his preferred position he'll be much better.

Although if you're referring to Djorkaeff as an imposter, then having attended all four of our LC games, you can add in Andreu, Magennis, Cooke,etc onto that list too.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Although if you're referring to Djorkaeff as an imposter, then having attended all four of our LC games, you can add in Andreu, Magennis, Cooke,etc onto that list too.

It seems lost on some fans that for the aforementioned players the prime objective was to come through these games, pretty much unscathed. A threadbare squad and the real stuff starting this weekend means we’ve escaped quite lightly, only having Cooke injured. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Absolutely. Collectively and individually the whole squad has been dreadful. I think only Breadner looked like he had anything about him and that's only cause he ripped apart a tired semi pro in the last 10 minutes of the Albion Rovers match. Djorkaeff was especially hopeless though. A huge disappointment. 

20 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It seems lost on some fans that for the aforementioned players the prime objective was to come through these games, pretty much unscathed. A threadbare squad and the real stuff starting this weekend means we’ve escaped quite lightly, only having Cooke injured. 

I think you are trying a little too hard to find a positive spin. These matches were an opportunity for some of the younger players to impress a new club manager to try to get him to give them their first team break. I don't think any of them will have done so. For the experienced players they may have felt they had nothing to prove, but you'd have to question their professionalism if they thought these four performances were anywhere near acceptable. 

Those four games have left the manager desperately scrambling for half a squad of new players and it's heaped pressure on everyone of the backroom team. It's also left fans questioning, again, the competence of the club board. 

Writing the last major trophy the club won as a diddy pre season tournament isn't helping IMO - especially when you see the boost that Motherwell have taken from their first four matches of the season. 

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I think you are trying a little too hard to find a positive spin. These matches were an opportunity for some of the younger players to impress a new club manager to try to get him to give them their first team break. I don't think any of them will have done so. For the experienced players they may have felt they had nothing to prove, but you'd have to question their professionalism if they thought these four performances were anywhere near acceptable. 

Those four games have left the manager desperately scrambling for half a squad of new players and it's heaped pressure on everyone of the backroom team. It's also left fans questioning, again, the competence of the club board. 

Writing the last major trophy the club won as a diddy pre season tournament isn't helping IMO - especially when you see the boost that Motherwell have taken from their first four matches of the season. 

These matches .........................yes should have been fairly easily won, but hey we are st mirren, we do not do things normally we are excellent in dragging defeat from the jaws of victory we are great at losing games we should win, I remember a  Raith Rovers game, god knows how long ago, first game of the season in Kirkcaldy, 7.0 if I remember right; in tears I was as I have been many a time watching our lot, but isn't it just loverly when things click 😄.  Yes we were rubbish but JG was always going to take his time to get the players he needs to do what we want and if truth be told it takes a few weeks to get it together so bloody what......... tighten up those pampers and COYS

I am genuinely struggling to remember the last time that we had a good pre-season.  In the Ian Murray era, our shiteyness wasn't just pre-season it  extended well into the regular season. In fact up to the point where he threw in the towel,  we were utter dross.  At this juncture, my underwear is still as dry as. 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I am genuinely struggling to remember the last time that we had a good pre-season.  In the Ian Murray era, our shiteyness wasn't just pre-season it  extended well into the regular season. In fact up to the point where he threw in the towel,  we were utter dross.  At this juncture, my underwear is still as dry as. 

We scored for fun in the summer of 2014. Can't remember what happened after that...

These matches .........................yes should have been fairly easily won, but hey we are st mirren, we do not do things normally we are excellent in dragging defeat from the jaws of victory we are great at losing games we should win, I remember a  Raith Rovers game, god knows how long ago, first game of the season in Kirkcaldy, 7.0 if I remember right; in tears I was as I have been many a time watching our lot, but isn't it just loverly when things click [emoji1].  Yes we were rubbish but JG was always going to take his time to get the players he needs to do what we want and if truth be told it takes a few weeks to get it together so bloody what......... tighten up those pampers and COYS
That Raith 7-0 game was my first ever away game. Was only 7 at the time, absolutely loved it and couldn't wait to go to the next one.

Kids these days have it easy [emoji23]. We were rotten for most of the 90s, all we had was the derby games, that was it. Sometimes you had the odd big team get relegated into the First Division.

Even the Scottish cup was horrific.

Anyway this new guy ticks the boxes in what we want from a signing. 6 more like that and we'll be laughing.

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

The league cup when we won it 2013 was a different format, and it didn’t start mid July when it was still pre season. Like it or not the clubs regard these group stages as pre season, if you hit the ground running and manage to qualify, then it’s a bonus.

I would have been happy to have qualified with a full squad of players, but circumstances proved that not at this point to be the case. Staying in this league will always be priority after all the upheaval of changing managers. 

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I disagree.

These games were to get our first XI match fit. Any youngsters performing well, would merely be a bonus.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Kids these days have it easy emoji23.png. We were rotten for most of the 90s, all we had was the derby games, that was it. 

Yeah. I have a good laugh at all the current knickerwetting when you compare our current situation against the early/mid nineties where every second week the bank were a couple of hours away from pulling the plug, and directors were re-mortgaging their houses to pay the bills.

Before anyone tries to deny that this happened, I know one of the directors who had to do this, so I had an inside track as to these events. We are very, very lucky to have a club just now.

So forgive me if I don't join in the masses roaring and greeting because we're several players short, four weeks before the transfer window shuts.