The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'm  not really on the side of the booing or panicking but a very real question does need to be asked here:

Why are there two people, namely Gus MacPherson and Tony Fitzpatrick, who in a combined effort seem to be doing one man's job and doing it a lot, lot worse job of it than their (admittedly very good) predecessor?

WHY HAVEN'T WE GOT ANY FUCKING PLAYERS?!
It's just amateurish. Rank rotten.
No panicking allowed. We have the makings of a good squad and the quality signings will come if you're patient. No one else is signing anyone and certainly not anyone good. Plenty of time to go until the window goes.

Have I missed anything?

Just now, Stu said:

No panicking allowed. We have the makings of a good squad and the quality signings will come if you're patient. No one else is signing anyone and certainly not anyone good. Plenty of time to go until the window goes.

Have I missed anything?

Yeah, you never used the word ‘meltdown’.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm  not really on the side of the booing or panicking but a very real question does need to be asked here:

Why are there two people, namely Gus MacPherson and Tony Fitzpatrick, who in a combined effort seem to be doing one man's job and doing it a lot, lot worse job of it than their (admittedly very good) predecessor?

Fair question. 

Evem with the squad we've got though we should he able to get results against the teams in our group. 1 goal (a penalty) in our last three games, all against part time teams. That's absolutely honking.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The longer it goes on without any transfer activity then the more panic sets in amongst the fans. 

We lack depth and quality in key areas, and more significantly it would appear that both Mullen and Cooke are certainly not good enough to be our regular striking options, both are back up squad players. 

Big job for Gus and Fitzy in the coming week as regards to recruitment. It’s looking like most have turned against them a week or so before the serious stuff starts.

Have we ever appointed a manager who walked out / was bagged / mutually consented / fcuked off to Coleraine before a single league game was played? Probably the only managerial scenario that hasn’t happened to us in the last decade mind you.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Have we ever appointed a manager who walked out / was bagged / mutually consented / fcuked off to Coleraine before a single league game was played? Probably the only managerial scenario that hasn’t happened to us in the last decade mind you.

Does Iain Munro count? In and out on the same day, wasn't he?

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Does Iain Munro count? In and out on the same day, wasn't he?

Well, aren't things going swimmingly so far?

Not having witnessed any of these games (thank Christ!), I'm loathe to comment, but is there really any excuse for the players underperforming to this extent?

Even without the required additions, we should have had enough to put these teams away (aside from Dunfermline who were always likely to be a stern test).

Are the players bothering their arses? Has Jim asked them to do outrageously silly things on the football pitch? Is there some kind of unrest underlying this.

Who knows, but it has the makings of a fucking shambles of a season.

I wonder what its coming down to.

Unrealistic targets?
Gus and Goodwin not agreeing on certain players?
Saving money by not paying an extra 5-6 wages throughout July?
Demented Zebra not so demented?

It's only fair imo to judge the squad at the end of the window as everyone can see we need half a dozen players in at least but we don't even appear to be linked with anyone.

Got to hope that we were at least in for Erwin.

Maybe we are still hoping we can get guys like Popescu and McAllister back, just like we were all waiting for Morgan to be announced and that never happened.

Concerning, the players we have should be able to take care of the opponents in our LC group apart from the Pars, with all due respect.

Idly speculating here, so take my ramblings with a pinch of salt, but I wonder if there is something amiss that was reflected in Oran Kearney's blatant contrast in attitude towards Scott and Fitzpatrick respectively.

Is there some residue from that still lingering, that could be unsettling business behind the scenes?

We can only hope that everything is tickety boo as opposed to fuckity bad as seems worryingly likely.

59 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Some laugh being a Saints fan, eh?

One thing you can be sure of Jim Goodwin is his own man. Keep getting shoot down for saying we are skint. Have wrote shoot me down if I'm wrong when the accounts come out but I know it's a real problem to be clear I'm writing player budget. MuG  is more often right than wrong  so dont dismiss what he writes.