The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

That's an absolute sucker punch. 

It appeared to all intents like a deal was done. Who knows what happened there. 

Maybe OK was willing to sanction the transfer fee (before he fell out with GLS) hence why Poppy came over last week but JG was unwilling to do the same.

Edited by btb

I hope we manage to sort a deal out for Popescu but there’s not a chance we should be spending a fortune on a permanent deal, far too risky. A cut price deal or another loan would be ideal although Bucharest might not be willing to play ball on that. At least we’ve still got Baird & Gary Mac. 

16 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

I actually wrote that wrong mate as you have worked out. Typing on my phone had nothing to do with commuting and everything to do with budget. But lets all say it's a lot of shite when accounts are published truth will be told that is the real reason for the fall out and Oran leaving. If the magic McGinn card does not come Scott is in trouble unless he puts in his own money saying that there is always a SMISA vote to help the club out in its hour of need. 

Wait so Oran wasn't happy at the budget cause we're skint but paid him off and paid for Goodwin?.... Forgive me if I am a tad skeptical on that one. 

As for Mihai probably need to wait and see what his club in Romania are doing. May well work itself out, but doesn't seem brilliant! 

Not sure what has happened with the Mihai deal. Last I heard was the two clubs had agreed another season long loan (he has two years left at Dinamo) but with the option of a break in January if another club came in with a permanent offer for him.

Dinamo are desperate to offload, and the player himself wanted to come back, so either another team has come in for him, Goody doesn't fancy him, or the two clubs are doing a wee dance before finalising the deal.

Not sure where all the financial worries are coming from. The Stubbs debacle will have cost us a few quid both with regard paying off the management team and getting rid of some of his signings, but we brought in a heavy chunk of extra cash last season from the John McGinn transfer and we've taken the 11th placed prize money in the top flight.

Oran's settlement was mutual, I doubt he will have walked away with much.

6 hours ago, tam the bud said:

If we are as skint as you are saying, why is the club spending  ££££££££££  going to Spain pre season instead of just staying at home. Remember going away last year with Stubs certainly wasn't a success. 

We are not going bust nothing like that but the budget is cut this season. Will leave it at that. Time to look forward to the season we have the basics of a good squad hopefully we see some decent signings.  Losing out on popescu is disappointing.  

2 hours ago, Div said:

Not sure what has happened with the Mihai deal. Last I heard was the two clubs had agreed another season long loan (he has two years left at Dinamo) but with the option of a break in January if another club came in with a permanent offer for him.

Dinamo are desperate to offload, and the player himself wanted to come back, so either another team has come in for him, Goody doesn't fancy him, or the two clubs are doing a wee dance before finalising the deal.

Not sure where all the financial worries are coming from. The Stubbs debacle will have cost us a few quid both with regard paying off the management team and getting rid of some of his signings, but we brought in a heavy chunk of extra cash last season from the John McGinn transfer and we've taken the 11th placed prize money in the top flight.

Oran's settlement was mutual, I doubt he will have walked away with much.

I guess someone else might have come in for him, someone who can either afford the transfer fee or who are at least willing to pick up a larger part of his wages than we were. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another Scottish team.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I guess someone else might have come in for him, someone who can either afford the transfer fee or who are at least willing to pick up a larger part of his wages than we were. Wouldn't be surprised if it's another Scottish team.

Yeah, he's tailor made for a team like Hibs, unfortunately.

And they'd fucking love him as well.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

We will. 

Would you like a compilation quote post of all the claims you've made about St Mirren over the past few weeks?

Would I like it no. However if I have made a c.u.n.t. of myself then go ahead even I would say I deserve it. The people yes more than one never predicted anything before they scan the net like me to find out what's going on. That's why I believe what they are saying. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, he's tailor made for a team like Hibs, unfortunately.

And they'd fucking love him as well.

Yeah, I suppose it depends how much better he can get. I really liked him and I wanted us to sign him, but I'm not really convinced he was playing hugely below his level with us. I reckon he's a good bottom to mid level Premiership player, but I think we need to be realistic about how important signing him would be compared to the other glaring issues we have with the current squad. If we are going to spend money, or big wages, it really needs to be spent on the issues we have in the final third, in my opinion anyway.

14 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I suppose it depends how much better he can get. I really liked him and I wanted us to sign him, but I'm not really convinced he was playing hugely below his level with us. I reckon he's a good bottom to mid level Premiership player, but I think we need to be realistic about how important signing him would be compared to the other glaring issues we have with the current squad. If we are going to spend money, or big wages, it really needs to be spent on the issues we have in the final third, in my opinion anyway.

Hard to argue with that. 

Andreu is definitely a player proven at our level and to be fair, there hasn't been any real rumours of substance but there's been a few mutterings about folk we've got our eye on. 

George Boyd is one I've heard after his release from Sheffield Wednesday and today I heard Lee Erwin's name bandied about. Either of those two and Andreu would improve us massively up top.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You lads are trying to arrange a friendly with Peterborough over in Spain.

Not surprising. We had a similar bounce match against Charlton a few years ago when we were out there. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Not surprising. We had a similar bounce match against Charlton a few years ago when we were out there. 

You'll be saving the day as they had agreed a friendly against Nottingham Forest that fans could attend on Saturday but Forest pulled out less than an hour ago.

Heaton would have been emptied long ago had we not paid £75k* for him, the club must be desperately hoping we can somehow recoup some of that but I just can't see it. And there's more chance of Man Utd signing John McGinn for £50 million than there is of Heaton ever featuring for the first team again.

*Fully expecting folk to say it's not that bad, £75k is only the amount we pay once clauses etc are added in. However, isn't it funny those stories only started to appear when it became apparent Heaton wasn't very good? The club were more than happy to announce it as the highest fee for a quarter of a century when he signed.