The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Worrying fact that Stubbs saying we need to move players on before we can bring players in. 

I believe Stubbs is saying it to try and get the fans onside about moving on the more established players, that none of us want to leave. 

The fact he never mentioned it when we were going after Kenny Miller and now we didn't get him people need to move on, suggests it's bullshit.

23 minutes ago, Silvio said:

I believe Stubbs is saying it to try and get the fans onside about moving on the more established players, that none of us want to leave. 

The fact he never mentioned it when we were going after Kenny Miller and now we didn't get him people need to move on, suggests it's bullshit.

For me it's about the board not wanting to throw money at the wind. See we are after Scott Martin Hibs midfielder not played many first team games. At least we are consistent. 

For me it's about the board not wanting to throw money at the wind. See we are after Scott Martin Hibs midfielder not played many first team games. At least we are consistent. 
At least he has played some first team games at the level we play at.

However what we don't need is another midfielder.

I for one don't mind if players move on as long as he can replace them with better players or at least ones that compliment our current squad to pull together a team/system that can compete

I'm just not sure he has the ability or the time required to do that though.

Another midfielder! It would be good if we could get a defender that could defend. Last week we had no defenders on the pitch that could defend until Jack Baird came off the bench. If Gus McPherson was dead he'd be spinning in his grave  at our defending. 

8 hours ago, AW saint said:

Worrying fact that Stubbs saying we need to move players on before we can bring players in. 

Clearly no-one is buying that. Did the budgeted money that was offered to Kenny Miller suddenly disappear onto a black void? 

So we’ve missed out on another target, who we apparently pushed the boat out to sign. I think Kenny would be worth a gamble on a years contract but no chance on a 2 year deal, probably not the worst outcome on this specific target.

However, the current squad are far from good enough to stay in the league... especially with a manager who’s incapable of playing our best players in their best positions.

What now? My guess is Stubbs signs more sub-standard players & he will be sacked before the end of September.

Winning the league last season seems years ago, fucking depressing!
Don't think he should be allowed to blow anymore of the budget.

Go with what we've got, he'll be papped before October is out, new guy comes in (Hopefully Goody) and rips apart the shit left behind by Stubbs. Just need to hope we're still in touching distance of our relegation rivals. Sounds like we've been here before [emoji848]

Clearly no-one is buying that. Did the budgeted money that was offered to Kenny Miller suddenly disappear onto a black void? 
Thought he said he has enough for 2 players but will need to wheel and deal if he wants more than that.

Does that mean he was prepared to pay 2 wages to Miller? Probably.

3 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Does that mean he was prepared to pay 2 wages to Miller? Probably.

Perhaps so, but that still doesn't explain why those funds have now apparently disappeared.

Stubbs needs to get his story straight over this. He is tying himself in knots and it is not an edifying sight.

58 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Go with what we've got, he'll be papped before October is out, new guy comes in (Hopefully Goody) and rips apart the shit left behind by Stubbs. Just need to hope we're still in touching distance of our relegation rivals. Sounds like we've been here before emoji848.png

I’ve accepted our fate even this early in the season. With the utter shambles of a squad Stubbs has assembled i now have zero expectations for the season other than finishing in the aoutomatic relegation place. By the time Stubbs is shown the door it will probably be too late. Get Goodie on board and prepare for the championship with another re-build. That’s about as much as we can expect.

There are three league games played - we are far from doomed. A bit of positivity would go a long way. Things look bleak after Saturday's result and performance, but there are 35 games to play and in my opinion we can only play better than we did at the weekend in the weeks and months ahead. Whether that's enough to have us safe is debatable, but there's no way I'm accepting that we've no chance of staying up. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve accepted our fate even this early in the season. With the utter shambles of a squad Stubbs has assembled i now have zero expectations for the season other than finishing in the aoutomatic relegation place. By the time Stubbs is shown the door it will probably be too late. Get Goodie on board and prepare for the championship with another re-build. That’s about as much as we can expect.

I agree with all that other than Goodwin as manager. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Nah, I'm not having that. It's pretty obvious how the league is going to pan out this season - a top 5, a middle 3 and a bottom 4. We'll be in the bottom 4 with Livi, Accies and Dundee, none of whom look great. Despite the mistakes Stubbs has made, I would say we still have the strongest midfield of these four sides, though clearly we have weakensses at the back and up front. However, even if we don't sign anybody new, we should be at least competitive with the assorted criminals of Livi, the journeymen of Hamilton and a Dundee team managed by Neil fecking McCann.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Agreed

49 minutes ago, Soctty said:

There are three league games played - we are far from doomed. A bit of positivity would go a long way. Things look bleak after Saturday's result and performance, but there are 35 games to play and in my opinion we can only play better than we did at the weekend in the weeks and months ahead. Whether that's enough to have us safe is debatable, but there's no way I'm accepting that we've no chance of staying up. 

Don't worry you'll soon come to terms with it.  our inability to create any decent chances against shite in the cup,  no shot on goal against Livi,  humiliated by Aberdeen  a red card saved us from one at Ibrox. 

Go with what we've got, he'll be papped before October is out, new guy comes in (Hopefully Goody) and rips apart the shit left behind by Stubbs. Just need to hope we're still in touching distance of our relegation rivals. Sounds like we've been here before [emoji848]

Very true, he’s quite clearly incapable of bringing in players that can improve the squad. I think it’s already damage limitation with how costly his appointment will be. Agreed, can’t see Stubbs being manager much longer.

I think sometimes when you let your guard down to the media, you open up your clubs financial backing to other clubs. I believe there is cash available, though he is going to look daft if he comes out and says, im after 1,2 or 3 players etc and none convert again.

He said in his interview yesterday we are short in numbers due to injuries and it so happens the bulk of that is defenders. We need reinforcements up front, at the back and on the wing. Ideally one from each of those positions with no key players departing in the process.

26 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Agreed

Don't worry you'll soon come to terms with it.  our inability to create any decent chances against shite in the cup,  no shot on goal against Livi,  humiliated by Aberdeen  a red card saved us from one at Ibrox. 

Nothing to come to terms with. Every team has the possibility of improvement, as have all players. Players moving up from a lower level can take time to adapt, and can improve given time. 

Obviously it's the defence which is the main concern. Two full debutants last week which nobody seems to have acknowledged - I'd expect better from them and possibly Baird in for Kpekawa. 

The players have to show more than they did last week, and blaming everything on the manager is a kop out in my opinion. He's responsible ultimately but we have some good players in the team who haven't performed and we need them to step up.

I'm sure not many will agree with me, but throwing in the towel is not an option, for fans, or the players who are paid to give their all. The manager will pay the price ultimately but I want to see the team busting a gut, which I haven't seen much of so far. 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I agree with all that other than Goodwin as manager. 

Goodwin has already knocked us back, I actually forgot about that tbh. Whoever does eventually succeed Stubbs will have a similar Job to the one Jack Ross inherited from Alex Rae. Let’s hope we can identify someone who can do a similar job in sorting out the mess.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Nothing to come to terms with. Every team has the possibility of improvement, as have all players. Players moving up from a lower level can take time to adapt, and can improve given time. 

Obviously it's the defence which is the main concern. Two full debutants last week which nobody seems to have acknowledged - I'd expect better from them and possibly Baird in for Kpekawa. 

The players have to show more than they did last week, and blaming everything on the manager is a kop out in my opinion. He's responsible ultimately but we have some good players in the team who haven't performed and we need them to step up.

I'm sure not many will agree with me, but throwing in the towel is not an option, for fans, or the players who are paid to give their all. The manager will pay the price ultimately but I want to see the team busting a gut, which I haven't seen much of so far. 

I really hope your right but after going along and watching that shite since the start of the cup my glass is more than half empty