The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He was a striker? At least that’s where he was used anytime I saw last season.

He can play both wide and upfront. He was used wide a couple of times. But then my point stands, name me who he brought in that is better when he released him...

He can play both wide and upfront. He was used wide a couple of times. But then my point stands, name me who he brought in that is better when he released him...

Willock.
Like for like replacement in Jeff King, he looks like he can fill a seat on the bench. Morgan and Davis I can understand. Hippolyte is nonsense.

36 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Willock.
Like for like replacement in Jeff King, he looks like he can fill a seat on the bench. Morgan and Davis I can understand. Hippolyte is nonsense.

Willock isn't the same role as Hippolyte. Indeed Willock is probably a player we didn't need. We have too many CMs. The problem I have is he released him without a replacement in same role. We have zero width, a massive issue for the team. 

Kpekawa is absolutely chronic. Doesn’t understand the centre half position, he’s slow and weak, can’t jump, has no positional sense, can’t read play.

Coulson is unfit, weak and slow.

Brock Madsen is the worst striker we’ve had for a while. Useless.

Kyle Magennis is not a left winger. He’s a central midfielder. Play him there. 

Stubbs’ summer business has been woeful. It’s almost like he signed them all based on:

a) working with them for a week at the Jamie Vardy academy.

b) watched a few Youtube videos.

48 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Kpekawa is absolutely chronic. Doesn’t understand the centre half position, he’s slow and weak, can’t jump, has no positional sense, can’t read play.

Coulson is unfit, weak and slow.

Brock Madsen is the worst striker we’ve had for a while. Useless.

Kyle Magennis is not a left winger. He’s a central midfielder. Play him there. 

Stubbs’ summer business has been woeful. It’s almost like he signed them all based on:

a) working with them for a week at the Jamie Vardy academy.

b) watched a few Youtube videos.

That's grossly unfair. He also looked at their stats on Football Manager. In that, Kpekawa has a speed rating of 16, while Brock-Madsen has heading ability of 18. I think he's planning to sue their researchers.

Just now, buddies1877 said:

Their is no way he could play left back he’s far too slow

Stubbs will probably stick Hodson in at left back when Paul McGinn recovers from injury. Hodson doesn’t look any better than Kpekawa from what I saw yesterday.

On 15/08/2018 at 12:51, Stu said:

Another young boy coming in.

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2086-alfie-joins

This is nothing against the boy, who may or may not be a good player, but the lack of experience we have brought in is frightening. I'm not wanting a return to the days of Gus when we signed guys in their mid 30s or whatever, but the vast majority of Stubbs' signings have barely kicked a ball in league football.

Seems our captain agrees.

Dllqhq0WsAAK9tC.jpg

The team on large when we got promoted was decent enough. All that was required was a striker, dominant centre half, a winger and a ball winning midfielder. Now we need an overhaul. I cannot believe how much damage has been done to a stable squad. Stubbs is signing players for life back in the championship. I am sure cooke, king etc would cut it a level below but that is that. McGinn hit the nail on the head when he is talking about players with no game time. This is mismanagement in a grand scale.  Stubbs has this week to rectify our squad or its down we go.

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

The team on large when we got promoted was decent enough. All that was required was a striker, dominant centre half, a winger and a ball winning midfielder. Now we need an overhaul. I cannot believe how much damage has been done to a stable squad. Stubbs is signing players for life back in the championship. I am sure cooke, king etc would cut it a level below but that is that. McGinn hit the nail on the head when he is talking about players with no game time. This is mismanagement in a grand scale.  Stubbs has this week to rectify our squad or its down we go.

Nah, it's fine. We'll just work really hard on the training pitch. We should be sound.

The Cammy Smith business is unbelievable and a sackable offence in itself IMO. The decision to give a three year deal to a manager who’d failed miserably in his last job is looking even more suspect now.

When Stubbs got appointed, my first thought at seeing the three-year deal was that there must be some sort of caveat in terms of severance. Surely there is no way that an astute individual such as Gordon Scott would just hand a manager out of work for 18 months and a chequered managerial career such a long contract. Particularly when he witnessed the Alex Rae disaster first hand.

I don’t know if there’s a recency bias in our assessment of Stubbs given that the tenures of Craig, Murray and Rae are still fresh in the memory. From the outside looking in I’d think it was ludicrous that St Mirren fans would want their manager sacked so early, but the signs are not good and oh so familiar.

This isn’t just a case of poor results. On and off the pitch over the last two years so much hard work had been done to create something special at our club. Within three months someone has come in seemingly hellbent on ripping it apart, hacking away at the feelgood factor that has seen our greatest number of season tickets sold since moving to the new ground. Tearing apart a successful and loved squad nucleus, freezing out top players, replacing them with poorer quality and all with a dusting of stubbornness, indifference and arrogance.

We all want Stubbs to succeed but unless we improve the squad dramatically/solve the apparent player unrest then we’re relying on snookers. Or Dundee as they’re also known.