The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Agree taking a long time to think about it ,  his CV will look good but he did not score a lot of league goals in a team with attacking football. Not knocking the lad works his ass off and gives you 100%. I' not bothered one way or another if he stays or goes. We were going to have an anouncment for two players one dropped out wonder if it was him. 

How did 'one drop out'?

It was never set in stone that we were going to have an announcement for two players. Fitzpatrick said there would be one on Friday for definite and he hoped one on Thursday. That could mean any number of reasons for it not going through at this point and certainly doesn't necessarily mean someone dropped out.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

And Hearts played good, attractive football under him so I hope you guys do bring him in.  Always like to see good young managers in the game.

You sure about that? You might want to go onto the Hearts thread and ask them if they agree with you. 

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

You sure about that? You might want to go onto the Hearts thread and ask them if they agree with you. 

You're forgetting that Hearts fans have a vastly over-inflated sense of self worth, though. :lol:

Neilson done a very decent job at Tynecastle. 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

How did 'one drop out'?

It was never set in stone that we were going to have an announcement for two players. Fitzpatrick said there would be one on Friday for definite and he hoped one on Thursday. That could mean any number of reasons for it not going through at this point and certainly doesn't necessarily mean someone dropped out.

So his deal has been on the table for a few weeks. Not signed but not said no. I don' know mate I'm guessing not saying my view is right. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

So his deal has been on the table for a few weeks. Not signed but not said no. I don' know mate I'm guessing not saying my view is right. 

I don't think Reilly was the intended signing from yesterday, though.

I don't think it was ever Reilly's intention to stay on.

31st May is coming round fast so we'll find out what his decision is by this time next week, I'd say.

46 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Hughes was a great coach for us. He took a solid top six team and turned them into the team that came 3rd and won the cup. He made a few additions but he got us to that by making the players currently at the club even better.

After that season the squad started to break up and he signed a load of players that weren’t good enough. He also through his toys out of the pram and successfully managed to get himself sacked.

In essence if you have a good team and want a decent season he wouldn’t be that bad a shout imo (in my opinion), however for building for the next few years and trying to stay in the league avoid him like the plague

That's what I always think about Hughes, he's a good option to come in and keep things running and tell them all what a great bunch if lads they are when things are going well and the manager who put the team in place has gone on to better things, but he's not a fixer. 

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

That's what I always think about Hughes, he's a good option to come in and keep things running and tell them all what a great bunch if lads they are when things are going well and the manager who put the team in place has gone on to better things, but he's not a fixer. 

I was flabbergasted what he said about the Raith dressing room. Hughes shoot himself big time with his commets he will find it hard to get a decent gig after that. 

23 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Very close friends.

SAINTS-CELTIC.jpg

As you can imagine that makes me cringe but yes it is well documented Jack Ross is close to Rogers and Kennedy having attended their training ground a good few times / Jack Ross interviews. St Mirren have asked Jack Ross to help with the recruitment processe so who knows. J.J. where are you mate. 

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

Hughes in his last season at ICT and recently Raith I think he started believing all the press articles written about him. No one can take the over achieving at ICT away albeit in a time when one of the ugly sisters were out the league in which many clubs did over achieve.

There is a decent manager in there, no one can deny him his achievements other than his ego and him running out of ideas which I think has happened at three of the clubs he managed at.

I honestly can't directly think of a favourite for the job, mentions of Hopkin but don't think he'd be favourite surely

Hughes could probably be quite good for Saint Mirren to start with. They are a good side with a good foundation and he tends to well at sides like that which don't require a massive overhaul. Where he falls down, as you allude to, is when he needs to rectify (major) problems at clubs, players leaving and so forth, and suddenly it all falls apart. He's rotten in the transfer market. I can't think of a single player he signed whilst at ICT that improved the team and the squad fell apart in his final season there. So with Saint Mirren not in need of major surgery he could do quite well but it wouldn't be for long.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

To be fair, IF there's any truth in it, I'd reckon £1m for Kyle would be an amazing bit of business for both clubs.

He's young and talented enough that his stock will rise. We get a record transfer fee.

The irony here is that the club could end up with over £2m in transfer fees between John McGinn, Magennis and JR/JF leaving and no-one at the helm of the club to spend it on players! :P 

Not that I'm suggesting we'd have £2m to spend....even a quarter of that would be lovely to get some proper talent in, though!

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Slowly getting pissed off. I Jack you care about St Mirren why not cherry pick what you want. WILL be pissed off if we don' take 5 million and 99.9% sell on clause.  

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I'm pretty sure you are confusing the defensive hoofball of Cathro and Levein.  Neilson's Hearts (at least in the first part of the 2016-17 season) weren't bad to watch.

7 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I'm pretty sure you are confusing the defensive hoofball of Cathro and Levein.  Neilson's Hearts (at least in the first part of the 2016-17 season) weren't bad to watch.

Cathro wasn't hoofball in the slightest. His teams passed it about in defence and midfield until the other team intercepted and went up the pitch and scored.

Levein isn't hoofball either, his teams just try and murder your best player (not an exaggeration, they literally had a pack of three players chasing O'Halloran and taking turns to wipe him early last season), and pray Lafferty can score one of the three half chances he gets per match.