The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I am not naive enough to think the players and style of the Championship will work in the Premiership - even Jack said we’d have to change. But stlye does matter and playing 10 men behind the ball hoping for a draw does not appeal to me. I’d rather watch us scoosh the Championship. Danny’s team of Thommo, Teale, McGowan, Hasselbank would do me anot not Gus’s team of 10 defenders.
To be fair to McPherson we rarely played a game with 1 up front.

It was normally 2 up front with players like Thomson, Brady, Dorman in midfield.

It wasn't the best to watch but then again a lot of the football under Danny wasn't brilliant either, it was good when it paid off for him.

If Hopkin is appointed and keeps us up i'll be happy. If the style is hard to watch and we struggle to win games it makes it much easier to criticise a manager.

52 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Presumably Levein takes all of the blame for Cathro then? Mind you Neilson didn't have a great spell at MK

What do you mean? He helped get them relegated - something most football fans would applaud :thumsup2

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Div said:

Interesting seeing Stewart Gilmour commenting on Neilson. Said he's spoken to some people at Hearts and they give all the credit for what Neilson achieved to Levein.

Not saying that is right, but that's his take on it.

Gilmour hardly covered himself in glory with his appointments. I trust the judgement of the present board over the previous one. 

17 hours ago, Div said:

I sadly can't control how you interpret and twist things to suit whatever your agenda is.

Maybe the other lad is your mate and you're sticking up for him, but the two of you are making rip roaring c***s of yourself here.

I think what actually happened was you got all huffy and started lashing out. Your post was also *very* creepy.

As for the "c**t" comment, if you use "snowflake" unironically then you are most certainly a c**t.

Gilmour hardly covered himself in glory with his appointments. I trust the judgement of the present board over the previous one. 
Hendrie, Coughlin, MacPherson, Lennon, Craig, Murray, Rae.

Hendrie, MacPherson, and Lennon all had successes. Murray was seen as a good appointment at the time.

Until Tommy Craig, Gilmour actually appointed pretty well.

What we need is a "St Mirren minded" manager who has shown they can not only survive in the top division but also thrive in it.

So.... anyone got Steve Clark's number?

Seriously though, I can pretty much guarantee you that any "firm favourite" at the bookies will be utter fucking mince and miles away from getting the job. It's a permanent annoyance that the mainstream media and bookies have no fucking clue what's going on and just throw out names in order to bring in the money and/or clicks (depending on the origin).

No doubt people like John Hughes will be mentioned with the uneducated going, "sure he had a bad time at Rovers but he's still a good man". What these people fail to realise is that we saw Hughes go down in flames right in front of our eyes, this wasn't an indirect message that the Hindenburg might be having trouble, this was us standing directly under it and moving as flaming strips of fabric fell by our feet. It was a front row seat, not a closeted snug in the Chip. Yet, they will still tout Hughes, and still give the "but surely one bad gig can't ruin a man" line.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

What we need is a "St Mirren minded" manager who has shown they can not only survive in the top division but also thrive in it.

So.... anyone got Steve Clark's number?

Seriously though, I can pretty much guarantee you that any "firm favourite" at the bookies will be utter fucking mince and miles away from getting the job. It's a permanent annoyance that the mainstream media and bookies have no fucking clue what's going on and just throw out names in order to bring in the money and/or clicks (depending on the origin).

No doubt people like John Hughes will be mentioned with the uneducated going, "sure he had a bad time at Rovers but he's still a good man". What these people fail to realise is that we saw Hughes go down in flames right in front of our eyes, this wasn't an indirect message that the Hindenburg might be having trouble, this was us standing directly under it and moving as flaming strips of fabric fell by our feet. It was a front row seat, not a closeted snug in the Chip. Yet, they will still tout Hughes, and still give the "but surely one bad gig can't ruin a man" line.

He was shite with us as well, stormed away to Hartlepool at first chance.

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He was shite with us as well, stormed away to Hartlepool at first chance.

Aye, but he was alright at Hibs, nigh on a decade ago, and that was in the top league. Blinkers are not an optional extra when it comes to Scottish sports journalism.