The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'd be surprised if there is, as his contract wasn't updated after the Barnsley incident so his contract would have been from the start of this season. It's very unlikely either he or the club would be looking at the buyout clauses from a manager who finished 8th in a 10 team league.

As for the £200k, anyone could easily make a case for that as he's been crowned manager of the year ahead of such notables as Rodgers and/or Clarke. Now you and I both know the context to that, but ultimately if it got so far as to be arguing over the money the MotY will heavily weight any CAS compensation (if they took it that far).

It's pretty standard for management contracts to have a compensation clause in them from both sides from the word go. It would be surprising if St Mirren didn't have that. It's likely to be at the very most the value unexpired period of the contract. You can wax on all you like about the talent Jack Ross has (I'm not disagreeing with you), but it's completely irrelevant. Compensation if it isn't already spelled out in the contract will based on the financial value of that contract. There's no argument here, your own club's statement already concedes Sunderland have agreed the terms and the speed in which it went from "no contact has been made" to "terms agreed" suggests it was a fixed sum and not up for much negotiation.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He absolutely deserves the chance. Not sure Sunderland can drop much lower so really, the most likely way is back upwards.

Only thing that worries me now is Kyle Magennis being on Sunderland's radar.

£3M and a season long loan.

Chairman's comments reek of someone who's desperate to seem like a "hard done by" person, and that statement combined with the "improved contract" talk yesterday tie in nicely to him knowing Ross is gone and making absolutely nothing moves to save face. 

Mind boggling amount of pish.

Cracking move for Jack and at a good time for him. St Mirren in the Premier is going to be a tough gig so it's a good time to jump ship. Sunderland have been a basket case but with a new regime there is a chance of stability. They should never be in League 1 and will have a brilliant budget for that level. The potential is there to win the title and with the momentum and crowd behind you to go right through the Championship as well. Clearly been a bad atmosphere around the place but there is no better man than Jack Ross to change that and quickly. Far better gig than Ipswich for him.

Tough on St Mirren but in the case of Jack Ross I think you just need to be grateful you had him, and longer than we did. The unfortunate part is that you won't get anybody near as good to replace him. I already posted this a few pages back but Goodwin would be a poor choice, he is no Jack Ross and very much still learning his trade. 

Edited by Waspie

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can wax on all you like about the talent Jack Ross has (I'm not disagreeing with you), but it's completely irrelevant. Compensation if it isn't already spelled out in the contract will based on the financial value of that contract. There's no argument here, your own club's statement already concedes Sunderland have agreed the terms and the speed in which it went from "no contact has been made" to "terms agreed" suggests it was a fixed sum and not up for much negotiation.

I think it'll end up with both clubs pushing until they find an acceptable middle ground. Can't see it going to arbitration. I was more musing that should it do so we would have some weight behind our case.

I honestly don't know about the contract, and I doubt we ever will. Buyout is obviously a possibility, not sure I go with your suggestion though.

4 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Is this the standard? Can't say I've read many of their posts but most of the ones about us have been complete mince.

Edited by Buddist Monk

£25 on Neilson as it wouldn't let me stake £50.

Edit - looks like thanks to my £25 he's now 6/4. :lol: 

Edit 2 - some one else must have stuck £25 on him as he is now 5/4 :lol:

Edited by djchapsticks

Agree with much of the above. 

JR has left us in a substantially better shape than when he took over. Although the only way for us at the beginning of last season (regardless of whether we were in League One or the Championship), nobody can deny the fact that he won us the league with exciting football and built a feel good factor about the club stronger than I've seen in years. If I was told 18 months ago that JR would be leaving us as a Premier League team with scope for his replacement to put together his own squad, I'd have bitten your hand off.

The only gripe I have is if he has indeed spoken to Sunderland before speaking to Gordon Scott. I don't know the legalities around it (if there is any), but to do that after speaking so many times about honesty and integrity towards the club/chairman, it just sours it a little bit. 

Going forward, my choice would be Robbie Neilson, along with an experienced assistant manager if he's interested. It's too early for Goodwin, IMO.

I'm just glad that it looks like we're reaching the end of what has been a bizarre end of season saga before the new one starts.

We're on our fucking way.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

£25 on Neilson as it wouldn't let me stake £50.

Not sure who the bookies are getting their tips from, but it's fair to say at least 10 of the 12 can be ruled out for all sorts of reasons. Reasons any sensible Scottish football observer would know, not the bookies though...

I resigned myself to Jack going when he started flirting with Barnsley earlier this year so not overly bothered as it was inevitable. 

I'm far more concerned about the future of Kyle Magennis and Cammy Smith. Sunderland bound in my book, Kyle in particular.

At least they are under contract. 

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Publicly announcing it then flying to the location another club's manager is on holiday somewhat takes the shine off your suggestion it was only an "accusation". It's quite clear that was what Nelms was up to. Ross staying put only demonstrated Dundee are not an attractive club to go to, that's why you had to go begging to the manager who blew you off.

You are right about the limited power we have, but that's the same for all clubs and the same for players as well as managers. All we can do is keep to the rules, hammer them for compensation and if it's not enough report them for tapping up.

Ross is on holiday now as well, hence why Fowler was the one that commented on your recent signing, so there's absolutely zero difference. We were actually still in the process of having talks with Ross (Which was spun as a rejection) when our first choice candidate done a U-turn and we dropped interest.

Scott has pulled this 'tapped up' nonsense multiple times now.

Scott has pulled this 'tapped up' nonsense multiple times now.

Show us the quotes from Gordon Scott that claim he has been tapped up by any club other than Sunderland, in particular Dundee.
Everything in football happens in the public eye, you should be able to source them.

35 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Must just be coincidence the Sunderland link has been around for almost a week, and he's waited until the deal is almost done before offering an improved contract and going to the press about things going on behind his back. 

24 minutes ago, Silvio said:

I resigned myself to Jack going when he started flirting with Barnsley earlier this year so not overly bothered as it was inevitable. 

I'm far more concerned about the future of Kyle Magennis and Cammy Smith. Sunderland bound in my book, Kyle in particular.

At least they are under contract. 

Kyle has two years to run on his so would cost a fortune, you'd hope.

1 minute ago, badgerthewitness said:

Jack's departure could have a negative effect on St Mirren's crowds. How are season tickets sales doing?

70% up on first day sales last year. Not sure what that means in real numbers.

But yes, this won't help - but a couple of big signings will.