The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

There's a strange force in the universe that prevents Partick Thistle and St Mirren from existing in the same division for any length of time.

Thistle are a great recent example of how quickly fortunes can reverse in football.

I remember we played them at Firhill in the League Cup group stages in 17/18. They had just finished top 6 in the Premiership and we had narrowly avoided demotion to the 3rd tier. They beat us 5-0....... then went onto be relegated that season whilst we won the Championship. 2 years later we were 2 divisions above them.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Thistle are a great recent example of how quickly fortunes can reverse in football.

I remember we played them at Firhill in the League Cup group stages in 17/18. They had just finished top 6 in the Premiership and we had narrowly avoided demotion to the 3rd tier. They beat us 5-0....... then went onto be relegated that season whilst we won the Championship. 2 years later we were 2 divisions above them.

It was a Thistle fan that started the now-legendary Relegation Express thread for us. f**k em.

(But no, I did want them to beat County and the Fat Racist. Quite disappointed there.)

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It was a Thistle fan that started the now-legendary Relegation Express thread for us. f**k em.

(But no, I did want them to beat County and the Fat Racist. Quite disappointed there.)

They might take Brophy again now... doubt it but ever hopeful

18 minutes ago, medals said:

They might take Brophy again now... doubt it but ever hopeful

There’s a fair bit of speculation that Malky will be leaving regardless of keeping them in the league. 
If he does go then I’d guess that would put an end to any move for Brophy.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Even more recent is Utd and County finishing 4th and 6th last season and being a bawhair from both getting relegated the following season.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I watched the 2016 Scottish Cup tie on St Mirren TV when I was too ill to attend, and for some reason they had a Thistle fan co-commentating. He was a droning cretin, who was talking about the game as though it was some sort of David v Goliath encounter because we were in the Championship and they were in the Premier.

I remember wondering how long it would be before the roles were reversed, and it would be daft to take any liberties about them reversing again sometime.

5 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Thistle I feel are not on the same level as Saints. I mean over the years we have been above them more often than not. Let’s hope we build on this season and push on 

Last time they won a trophy was the league cup in the early 70s. I remember them doing a 50th anniversary fairly recently. Have they ever won the Scottish Cup?

They've also been in the 3rd tier on a few occasions. By pretty much any measure we're above them.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agreed. Also wanted them up.

Today will haunt them for years if they can't get out of the Championship. Can't think of a sickener I've experienced as a St Mirren fan which would come close to that. Too young for Hammarby and missed the 9 man League Cup final defeat as I was abroad....

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a fair bit of speculation that Malky will be leaving regardless of keeping them in the league. 
If he does go then I’d guess that would put an end to any move for Brophy.

There was talk previously that Brophy wanted to play abroad anyway

59 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Last time they won a trophy was the league cup in the early 70s. I remember them doing a 50th anniversary fairly recently. Have they ever won the Scottish Cup?

They've also been in the 3rd tier on a few occasions. By pretty much any measure we're above them.

The 100th anniversary of that was last year.

Thistle are one of those weird clubs who never do anything but think theyre a "big club" because they get 200 more fans than others.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thistle are one of those weird clubs who never do anything but think theyre a "big club" because they get 200 more fans than others.

"Big club" is always going to be subjective. I wouldn't say we were necessarily a 'bigger' club than Thistle but definitely more successful. 

For the record, I did a deep dive on our history with Thistle earlier.

Won't wheel out all the figures, but we were much of a muchness until about 1970, and since then we've swapped places in the top league a few times, with us having the better of it by about 28-14 in seasons spent in a higher league.

Big differrence being that we pick up a trophy now and then, whilst they take a trip to the third tier now and then.

58 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

"Big club" is always going to be subjective. I wouldn't say we were necessarily a 'bigger' club than Thistle but definitely more successful. 

Thistle have the exact same issue as us of trying to stay relevant whilst being in the immediate catchment area of the arsecheeks. Both of us are around 4 miles from the front door of Ibrox. Same for Thistle to Parkhead whilst we're about 9 or 10 miles out.

Of course, every settlement in Scotland suffers the same issue to varying degrees but Thistle and ourselves probably suffer from their proximity the most. For us, there's a few larger settlements in the immediate area with no senior football club such as Renfrew, Johnstone, Barrhead (which combined have a population around 3/4 of Paisley) and there are probably much fewer Saints fans from those towns than there would be if we were say, 50-60 miles from Glasgow.

That's why I've always felt a wee bit of an affinity with Thistle supporters and the shite they put up with. They're a decent club but the forgotten 3rd team in a city with only two teams.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, billyg said:

The Kieron Bowie loan deal won't be happening now , and we've turned our attention to Robert Street of Crystal Palace !

That's what I love about pre season all the speculation. 

His goals return looks worse than Jamieson

Edited by AW saint