The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think we were van Bronckhorst's final game too. I think Ross managed another game or two this season. Hammell got binned shortly after we beat Motherwell I think, can't remember how soon though.

A worrying amount of confidence on this thread and talk of making Europe. Years of supporting Saints has me convinced we're going to screw up a fantastic position, so until we have top six secured I'm not too fussed how we do it - if it's by Hearts winning next week then so be it.

Definitely Van B. I knew I’d forgotten him. 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think we were van Bronckhorst's final game too. I think Ross managed another game or two this season. Hammell got binned shortly after we beat Motherwell I think, can't remember how soon though.

A worrying amount of confidence on this thread and talk of making Europe. Years of supporting Saints has me convinced we're going to screw up a fantastic position, so until we have top six secured I'm not too fussed how we do it - if it's by Hearts winning next week then so be it.

Hammell was binned after Raith Rovers bodied us out the Scottish Cup. In the time between that and the game you won 1-0 we'd also lost 2-0 to St Johnstone and 3-1 to Aberdeen before that.

You get f**k all credit for that one. :lol:

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hammell was binned after Raith Rovers bodied us out the Scottish Cup. In the time between that and the game you won 1-0 we'd also lost 2-0 to St Johnstone and 3-1 to Aberdeen before that.

Weren't we Kettlewell's first game, so we "get the credit" for giving him such an easy debut.. ;)

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Totally agree with you. Hammarby, 9 man Rangers, Hamilton away……………has shown us that we can always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory., 

Its the St Mirren way.

I think I will go with cautiously optimistic 🫣

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

Totally agree with you. Hammarby, 9 man Rangers, Hamilton away……………has shown us that we can always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory., 

Its the St Mirren way.

I think I will go with cautiously optimistic 🫣

Did you have to mention the H word???

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I couldn't remember exactly when he got sacked, I just remembered we played you twice in a relatively short space of time and he'd got booted in between, but looks like us winning the first one definitely wasn't the final straw.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I couldn't remember exactly when he got sacked, I just remembered we played you twice in a relatively short space of time and he'd got booted in between, but looks like us winning the first one definitely wasn't the final straw.

As @Ric mentioned, he was emptied directly after the Raith game before we played you the 2nd time. So our 2-1 win was Kettlewell's first game in charge. Cheers for that.

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I wouldn't exactly say credit - it's almost as if losing to us is such an embarrassment that the opposition club needs to act.

I'm actually slightly offended by it all.

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

How many times do St Mirren beat a top flight team and the opposition immediately sack their manager?

Ones I remember include 

Paul Le Guen - Rangers (1-1)

Tony Mowbray - Celtic (4-0)

Robbie Neilson - Hearts (2-0)

Anyone remember any other top flight sackings following a game against us?

None quite as newsworthy as St Mirren sacking their own manager right after beating Celtic at Parkhead though.

🤪

Was in the press a couple of weeks back that Robinson was in contract negotiations. Would be a real boost for the run-in if there was an announcement soon that he was staying until 2026 (same as his main man O'Hara).

Assume that Hearts will just stick someone in until the end of the season (Naismith?), try and claw 3rd back then review at the end of the season.

Would have to consider it a little bit ominous if the season ends with no word on an SR extension.

10 hours ago, Molotov said:

I’m pretty sure we took advantage of this type of “benefit” during the ‘80s when we qualified as a result of an OF cup final. 

We had the epic 3-2 replay loss to Celtic that year, complete with controversial goals and crowd chaos. Little did we know that if we'd knocked Celtic out that night night we'd probably have done ourselves out of a place in Europe.

They way the league panned out we'd needed to have won the cup or lost the final to (champions) Aberdeen to qualify for Europe. No other outcome in the cup would have got us there, despite the 3rd place finish in the league, due to Dundee United having taken a UEFA spot with their League Cup win while finishing below us.

And that guy on the Love Street DVD wouldn't have been able to warmly reminisce about the thrill of watching Michel Platini in Paisley even though he wasn't even playing that night.

14 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

And that guy on the Love Street DVD wouldn't have been able to warmly reminisce about the thrill of watching Michel Platini in Paisley even though he wasn't even playing that night.

That is a pal of mine Reidy who was one of the few original SaintsOnlineGB posters.
He has never been allowed to forget that interview.
In fact he likely emigrated to get away from the shame.
He never posts on here or BAWA anymore. And with you bringing this up he probably never will again. 
Think he still posts on Facebook from time to time. 
Good guy. Just got carried away with a story under the camera lights.

Edited by Molotov

If Saints make top 6 and Inverness make the Scottish cup final can we recall Jay Henderson from his loan spell as if ICT win the SC it could have an adverse effect on our European aspirations.

Thoughts?

Of course I’d prefer to see Jay at Hampden. Just a wee joke. 

Edited by Molotov
Is there not a tongue in cheek emoji?

7 minutes ago, Molotov said:

If Saints make top 6 and Inverness make the Scottish cup final can we recall Jay Henderson from his loan spell as if ICT win the SC it could have an adverse effect on our European aspirations.

Thoughts?

You can't recall outside of a transfer window. I also think that would be a fucking stinking thing to do both to Inverness as a club and Jay himself as a player to deny him a Scottish Cup final appearance.

8 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Thoughts?

I think that would be absolutely shite thing to do to a young player. A day he will have dreamed of all his life. As if it would make a shred of difference given the potential opponents. A bizarre thing to even contemplate. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

I think that would be absolutely shite thing to do to a young player. A day he will have dreamed of all his life. As if it would make a shred of difference given the potential opponents. A bizarre thing to even contemplate. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You can't recall outside of a transfer window. I also think that would be a fucking stinking thing to do both to Inverness as a club and Jay himself as a player to deny him a Scottish Cup final appearance.

Sorry guys. It was actually tongue in cheek. But I forgot to put one of those emoji things in.