The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Scott Brown in the Sunday Mail today talking about events of a year ago before Robinson was appointed.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-brown-takes-aberdeen-fans-29312295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

“So for me not to help out coaching and to take a step back was always going to be hard. I didn’t want to take anything away from Jim, a new manager coming into the club. I’m a big personality, I didn’t want any falling out. It probably didn’t help that I went for the St Mirren job. As soon as I went back up the road, it was always a hard one. The new manager was in place, I come back in and Jim probably thought I was that guy who wanted his job. But I never did. I didn’t even have my ‘A’ licence at the time. I was just in the process of going through it in the months to come. I needed to make sure I knew, in the long-term more than anything, what I was wanting to do. “So it was the right time. It was probably the best decision I made in my life because it’s given me the chance at Fleetwood. I don’t think I could’ve picked a better club to start out.”

St Mirren initially fancied Brown or Steven Naismith but ultimately plumped for experience with former Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson. Brown said: “Dave (Cormack) said it was up to me, I could go down and see how it went. To be fair, it was very positive at the start but it was taking its time. And you know what happens when things take their time. But it was good for me on my learning curve, to sit and speak to a boardroom. I have to thank St Mirren a lot for that. They made a good decision too because they’re doing really well."

5 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Scott Brown in the Sunday Mail today talking about events of a year ago before Robinson was appointed.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-brown-takes-aberdeen-fans-29312295?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

“So for me not to help out coaching and to take a step back was always going to be hard. I didn’t want to take anything away from Jim, a new manager coming into the club. I’m a big personality, I didn’t want any falling out. It probably didn’t help that I went for the St Mirren job. As soon as I went back up the road, it was always a hard one. The new manager was in place, I come back in and Jim probably thought I was that guy who wanted his job. But I never did. I didn’t even have my ‘A’ licence at the time. I was just in the process of going through it in the months to come. I needed to make sure I knew, in the long-term more than anything, what I was wanting to do. “So it was the right time. It was probably the best decision I made in my life because it’s given me the chance at Fleetwood. I don’t think I could’ve picked a better club to start out.”

St Mirren initially fancied Brown or Steven Naismith but ultimately plumped for experience with former Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson. Brown said: “Dave (Cormack) said it was up to me, I could go down and see how it went. To be fair, it was very positive at the start but it was taking its time. And you know what happens when things take their time. But it was good for me on my learning curve, to sit and speak to a boardroom. I have to thank St Mirren a lot for that. They made a good decision too because they’re doing really well."

On a side note, Brown was a pantomime villain as a player, much like Goodwin but also like Jim he seems a decent character off the field.

We made the right decision but I would have no issue with Brown as a future Saints manager.

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

On a side note, Brown was a pantomime villain as a player, much like Goodwin but also like Jim he seems a decent character off the field.

We made the right decision but I would have no issue with Brown as a future Saints manager.

Inclined to agree. Like a lot of the worst c***s on the field - Goodwin, Craig Bellamy, even Lasley used to piss me off - he seems ok in real life.

Watched the English LC final earlier. Casemiro would be first name on my team sheet from the whole EPL. Absolute warrior and he has transformed that team. Every team needs a narky b*****d in the middle. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

My brother does a lot of flying with his work, and one time found himself sat next to Neil Lennon on a Glasgow - London flight. Said he was great to talk to, chatty, and my brother rated him as being a decent sort.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

My brother does a lot of flying with his work, and one time found himself sat next to Neil Lennon on a Glasgow - London flight. Said he was great to talk to, chatty, and my brother rated him as being a decent sort.

Many years ago I worked in Glasgow Airport, I was going through security and the Celtic team were brought to the front to avoid the queue. Most players gave a wee wave or even just ignored the few punters in the queue who shouted, whereas Lennon had time for everyone who wanted to chat.

4 hours ago, Torfason said:

Looks like it was pretty close to being reality last year. Strange sequence of events looking back as the media had it down as Brown v Naismith. The Robinson link then came out of nowhere and he was announced very shortly after. Maybe we were tipped off that he fancied the job about the time the two above were being interviewed.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Looks like it was pretty close to being reality last year. Strange sequence of events looking back as the media had it down as Brown v Naismith. The Robinson link then came out of nowhere and he was announced very shortly after. Maybe we were tipped off that he fancied the job about the time the two above were being interviewed.

Robinson said he was somewhat surprised when someone from Morecambe told him St Mirren want to speak to you  £100,000 compensation has been agreed by both clubs. Your right though it came right out of the blue. Would love to know how Robinson name came to the top of the list. 

38 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Robinson said he was somewhat surprised when someone from Morecambe told him St Mirren want to speak to you  £100,000 compensation has been agreed by both clubs. Your right though it came right out of the blue. Would love to know how Robinson name came to the top of the list. 

He must be really shocked by the salary we’re paying him then.

On 26/02/2023 at 11:47, btb said:

I'm not sure Brophy would want to come back to us after a successful spell up north. 

By all accounts Brophy didn't really want to leave the central belt but he went to Dingwall to play regular football and to get fit and hopefully scoring again between now and the end of the season.

At the moment he's doing exactly that, I'm sure even exceeding County's expectations in terms of how well it's going.

He is our player for another year but his contract is still going to be an issue for us so I still fully expect him to move on in the Summer even if he continues his excellent form between now and the end of the season.

Be interesting to see if he can stay fit between now and then, that's been his main problem during his time with us and even when he was at Kilmarnock.

On 25/02/2023 at 19:15, Billy Jean King said:

Sorry bud never picked up on that. It's bizarre how certain players just don't click at certain clubs. I know there will be plenty folk genuinely saying what you were joking about but it just doesn't happen sometimes. No one can put their finger on why over the years but you win some you lose some. For every Dargo, Wyness and Brophy there is a Reilly, Eddie Gallagher and Martin Cameron.

Aye, as much as I'd  love to see a free-scoring, fit, and motivated Brophy back in the stripes, his current form is context-specific. 

Various factors will apply. Maybe he wasn't settled here. Our manager's approach didn't favour playing him. He simply needed a new challenge.  Who knows, but the chances of him continuing his renaissance back in Paisley are probably pretty slim.

On 26/02/2023 at 22:53, ZingaliMan said:

Not fussed how his name was mentioned I am just delighted it was. Robbo is the business. 

Bizarre appointment given there is no faith being shown on Utd's part. Goodwin is a decent choice if you're going to commit to giving him time and resources to do his job. But they aren't giving him that, they've essentially offered him a 3 month trial period.

He's not the sort of manager who you feel gives a 'new gaffer' bounce. It hasn't happened at any of his previous three jobs, so when you're a typically slow-burner of a starter but you have 12 games and an absolute shambles of a squad inherited without scope to improve and your tactics have lead to some massive defeats recently, you wonder how it could actually go anything other than very wrong.