The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Can we recall Brophy?

Good for him and hopefully it continues as he takes points off our rivals.

Even better if we get a transfer fee at the end of the season.

Failing that, and if Main doesn't sign a new contract, he'll be back with us or back out on loan again.

More important is Watt, and others scoring goals for us.

45 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I wasn't being entirely serious.

Sorry bud never picked up on that. It's bizarre how certain players just don't click at certain clubs. I know there will be plenty folk genuinely saying what you were joking about but it just doesn't happen sometimes. No one can put their finger on why over the years but you win some you lose some. For every Dargo, Wyness and Brophy there is a Reilly, Eddie Gallagher and Martin Cameron.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Sorry bud never picked up on that. It's bizarre how certain players just don't click at certain clubs. I know there will be plenty folk genuinely saying what you were joking about but it just doesn't happen sometimes. No one can put their finger on why over the years but you win some you lose some. For every Dargo, Wyness and Brophy there is a Reilly, Eddie Gallagher and Martin Cameron.

Brophy has always been one step, or should I say misstep, away from an injury with us. that's definitely affected his performances for us, although his home scoring form is dreadful and certainly not indicative of a "very capable striker at this level".

There's no way Brophy would have been offloaded if we weren't trying to balance the books. There's no way we could have predicted Ayunga and Greive would get injured, hence where we are where we are.

Unfortunately Watt is still not match fit and not nearly as sharp as we'd like, as he's clearly an upgrade on Brophy. We can only cross our fingers that he comes good soon. He only has to score once at home mind you to be an improvement.

Brophy looked excellent in the Sportscene highlights tonight. Dundee United are dreadful though.

One thing he's got that our other strikers don't is that he shoots any time he gets so much as a sniff of goal. This is a major strength and weakness. Today he found the net twice but we've seen plenty times where he's blazed numerous shots high and wide.

I'd love to see him back and banging in goals next season.

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Brophy looked excellent in the Sportscene highlights tonight. Dundee United are dreadful though.

One thing he's got that our other strikers don't is that he shoots any time he gets so much as a sniff of goal. This is a major strength and weakness. Today he found the net twice but we've seen plenty times where he's blazed numerous shots high and wide.

Absolutely.

How many times have we seen him blaze the ball wide or over the bar when he should have passed?

The Livingston game earlier in the season, when he should have squared to Main for a tap in springs to mind.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Then you see Main in 2 great positions where it could be argued he should have just shot instead in one instance where he took an extra touch away from goal then tried to cut it back, and the second instance where he dummied it instead of taking a touch and blasting it. 

It's just typical of our luck though. Brophy couldn't buy a goal with us confidence at an all time low, looks a brand new player at County and 2 of our strikers get injured and we bring in Watt who is rusty and hasn't had the best of seasons.

Not saying Brophy would have scored goals for us but he would have at least had a run of games in the team which he was crying out for (before the inevitable injury).

3 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Best thing is Brophy to score a load of goals and we sell him for a decent fee. He just doesnt do it for us.  

He scored goals for us last season though, just not in Paisley 😂. He has only had 1 start with us this season with quite a few sub appearances. Managed 2 assists. He has had a lot of time off injured. 

Ayunga and Main work as a pairing, for the most part you couldn't argue for him to start ahead of either of them and he's on too much £ to be sitting on our bench.

If he can score a few more, come back fit and confident, we either get a good player coming back or we can sell him as you say.

If it's a choice between Brophy or Watt as our no 9 next season, who is everyone choosing? 

30 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He scored goals for us last season though, just not in Paisley 😂. He has only had 1 start with us this season with quite a few sub appearances. Managed 2 assists. He has had a lot of time off injured. 

Ayunga and Main work as a pairing, for the most part you couldn't argue for him to start ahead of either of them and he's on too much £ to be sitting on our bench.

If he can score a few more, come back fit and confident, we either get a good player coming back or we can sell him as you say.

If it's a choice between Brophy or Watt as our no 9 next season, who is everyone choosing? 

Depends how Watt performs between now and the end of the season and how much United would want for him, if he doesn't have some sort of relegation clause in his contract.

I'd be equally happy with an injury free, fired up Brophy.

Just watched the Ross County game. Brophy looked good, but Dundee United's defence was absolutely dreadful. They were that bad, I'd have fancied my chances of scoring.

I nearly fell of my seat when he passed to Dhanda rather than shooting.

Edited by FTOF

12 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Brophy will be back with us in a few months. We will have two choices, either we play him or let him go again. If we decide to let him go there will be plenty of other Premiership clubs eager to sign him. 
Not many strikers within clubs like ours reach are capable of four goal involvements in a single top flight game, like he had yesterday. I can’t remember the last time one of our forwards had a performance like that for us, I suspect it was Thompson, a decade ago. 
For context, our current partnership of Main and Watt have zero goals and zero assists between them in our last five games.

I hope Robinson plays him next season, and I think he will. He’s on record saying he didn’t want to let him leave, and he only did so for financial reasons.