The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

There’s always a chance, as proven by the 2013 League Cup semi final. Hard to predict anything other than a routine 3-0 home win. Could be more than three if the following happens - a red card, lose a very early first goal, suicidal defending gifts them goals, VAR steps in, or a late fourth is added when a sclaffed shot hits a tiring Marcus Fraser’s arse and sends Carson the wrong way.

I predict 0-3 Saints though. Baccus, Main, and a glorious Torfason header from a Stickroth cross.

1 hour ago, medals said:

There is. Even if its really really unlikely,  you never know.

We need the whole on field team to be on it for the full game, and to keep their dangermen at bay and someone to take our chances.

Dare to dream. For faithful fans and the best squad and management we had for years - oh it would be appreciated and celebrated too.

Bonus would be an OF team not getting another cup too.

This is our chance, let's grab it!

I know its on their patch and Celtic are always favoured higher than ever there(and rightly so), though you don't have to go too far back when there was talks of 4/5/6/7-0's by media pundits and Celtic podcasters leading up to our 2-0 victory at home a few months ago. 

These are also one off games, in terms of whats at stake, so hopefully it has a bit of cup fever to it and gives us something similar to what we seen at Hampden back in 2013... another occasion where we were written off before a ball was kicked.

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

I know its on their patch and Celtic are always favoured higher than ever there(and rightly so), though you don't have to go too far back when there was talks of 4/5/6/7-0's by media pundits and Celtic podcasters leading up to our 2-0 victory at home a few months ago. 

These are also one off games, in terms of whats at stake, so hopefully it has a bit of cup fever to it and gives us something similar to what we seen at Hampden back in 2013... another occasion where we were written off before a ball was kicked.

There is always a chance. We created some decent openings at Celtic Park just 3 weeks ago and had we got our noses in front as we very nearly did in that game then you give yourself something to defend and we've shown we can be very organised and hard to break down many times this season already, not least against Celtic in Paisley.

I think the main problem you have with Celtic now is the strength in depth they have, it's unbelievable.

They don't really rotate as much for this type of game as they used to (see the starting XI they put out against Morton in the last round for example) but even if they did the guys who would come in aren't young boys these days, they are proven internationalists.

And if the game isn't going to plan for them they can bring on 5 subs, changing half the team, and all those guys coming off the bench are going to be proven quality.

It's an unbelievably hard task for us, but in a perfect storm where all our boys have the game of their lives, Celtic are miles off it, and we have a huge dollop of luck you never know.

We can always dream!

3 hours ago, Div said:

Been a couple of years since I set foot inside either Parkhead or Ibrox to watch us. For me football should be about enjoyment and I started to hate going to both grounds for many different reasons so I just stopped doing it.

No chance I'm missing tomorrow though. Think the only Scottish Cup tie I've missed since 1987 though other than the COVID season was Peterhead replay at Balmoor in 2011 when we won 6-1 after drawing 0-0 with them in Paisley.

So I was at Parkhead for the cup tie in 2017 where we all dared to dream after going in 1-0 up at the interval. Think it was Mallan who hit the crossbar early in the second half and then we got well and truly battered and it ended up 4-1 which was incredibly harsh.

There's always a chance, isn't there?

And there’s also a chance that they’ll beat us by 4 or even more. 

However they’ve no business doing that.  The fundamental objective of football is out scoring the opposition, that’s not the same as bettering the other teams goal count by the biggest possible margin. Of course if you’re 1 or 2 ahead you’re entitled to go for more because they might get back into it. 

Or in the league, goal difference might be an issue at the end of the season, so again, knock yourself out and go for as many as you can. 

In the cup however, no team should be in the business of humiliation. If it’s near the end of the game and you’ve a lead of 2 or 3, then leave it at that. The tie is over, move on. 

34 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

In the cup however, no team should be in the business of humiliation. If it’s near the end of the game and you’ve a lead of 2 or 3, then leave it at that. The tie is over, move on. 

I don't know, I'd be quite comfortable if St Mirren dished out a few absolute doings in cup games.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Still, if they score more than five against us it'll be boom time for Greenock-based manufacturers of commemorative DVDs.

Already preparing for the whataboutery about the size of our support at Celtic Park tomorrow night.

No chance we will take anything like Morton took there for the 4th round tie, simply because this isn't a Sunday School novelty trip for us.

If we take 1000 I'll be pleasantly surprised tbh.

55 minutes ago, Div said:

Already preparing for the whataboutery about the size of our support at Celtic Park tomorrow night.

No chance we will take anything like Morton took there for the 4th round tie, simply because this isn't a Sunday School novelty trip for us.

Bless them, hopefully they got lots of great photographs to capture the day.

15 hours ago, Div said:

Met a Ton fan coming back from their Parkhead visit on the ferry. He was high as a kite bless him showing me photos on his mobile of his big day out . I bought him a beer telling him we are in the next round 🙂

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Met a Ton fan coming back from their Parkhead visit on the ferry. He was high as a kite bless him showing me photos on his mobile of his big day out .

Are you sure that wasn't a Celtic fan?

Edited by Derry Alli

Copy and paste from stinkin’ Lincoln fan’s site.
I wonder if we have an Erhahon sell on benefit.

Happy with points, but we made hard work of it 2nd half. I personally think the mindset was wrong against 10 men, trying to shut up shop rather than take the game to them. For a good part of 2nd half we looked like the team with 10. That said, we’ve come out with a win and though it was nervy at times, Bristol didn’t trouble us too much so it is difficult to criticise.

First half, we were good and could have been further ahead of not for keeper and some sub par finishing.

Erhahon impresses again, he looks a great signing and I'll be amazed if we don’t make good money on him. Defence very solid throughout and limited Rovers. Thought Diamond had a good game and probably shouldn’t have been subbed. House is an excellent player and I think need 

On 10/02/2023 at 13:13, pozbaird said:

There’s always a chance, as proven by the 2013 League Cup semi final. Hard to predict anything other than a routine 3-0 home win. Could be more than three if the following happens - a red card, lose a very early first goal, suicidal defending gifts them goals, VAR steps in, or a late fourth is added when a sclaffed shot hits a tiring Marcus Fraser’s arse and sends Carson the wrong way.

I predict 0-3 Saints though. Baccus, Main, and a glorious Torfason header from a Stickroth cross.

Check 1. Check 2.

All in all, a typical game against either of the bigots. What the MSM never highlights is the fact that, when playing either of them, every tackle made by the opposition is likely to be a booking. Today there were 8 fouls by Celtic players, leading to no bookings. 10 by St Mirren, 1 booking and a straight red. Always the same.

as for the game, no complaints about the result, but remember VAR will lead to more even handedness in Scottish football 😂😂😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Repeat of 1980, please.

Knocked out in the last 16 by Celtic. Celtic win the cup, opening up another UEFA spot for the league, which we take. 

If we play like we did for the first 74 minutes tonight , its in the bag.

Annoying but it was a penalty and going by the rule, he prevented a goal so he had to go off. I didn't see it initially, I assumed it just hit Small, but after a few replays it showed it clearly hit Taylor's arm and then Small blocked it. 

Another good showing at Parkhead but another doing. Was never a 5-1 game but we were knackered after 70 minutes and Celtic were ruthless. 

Hopefully a bit of a kinder draw next season, we'll just have to focus on the league now. Huge game midweek against managerless Motherwell.